PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding brakes

TheFontMaster
08-17-2005, 07:32 PM
I hooked up the lines to the master cylinder, and the front calipers. I filled the master cylinder with brake fluid, and loosened the little valve on one caliper, and started pumping the brake lever. I can hear air comming out of the caliper, but no brake fluid is comming out. Am I doing something wrong?

hardkoratvmxr
08-17-2005, 08:09 PM
no you have to tighten the bleeder valve pump the lever a good 10-15 times open and close the bleeder real fast to let the air out. keep doing that on one side only refilling the master cylinder up as the fluid is being used. then repeat on the other side. it may take a while but it works after a while.

300exOH
08-17-2005, 09:36 PM
If you want a faster method check into a mitivac(sp) brake bleeder kit. They sell them at auto parts stores and they are pretty cheap(around $20 if I remember right). I got mine at autozone. It makes the job much faster and easier.

benbuilt4u
08-21-2005, 09:15 AM
i used my vacula as the manual says and i got the best results that way. i tried pumping and cracking the valve and still had a soft handle.

Woodsrider
08-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by benbuilt4u
i used my vacula as the manual says and i got the best results that way. i tried pumping and cracking the valve and still had a soft handle.
Yup! a Vacula is the chit.(but spendy) Gotta be a carefull though on the rear, it will suck that little resivior dry in no time flat.
But if don have one and are on a budget, gravity bleed the system until fluid drips from the calipers. Then tighten the valves and top of the res. Now squeeze the brake lever in and open one of the valves, let the lever bottom out and then close the valve. Repeat this proceedure three or four times at each caliper, being careful not to let the res empty out, and your done.