PDA

View Full Version : steering stem concern

Pappy
06-05-2002, 08:43 PM
ok..i pulled down the front end of my quad tonight so i would be ready for my new a-arms and shocks. i noticed there is resistance when turning the bars. i greased the stem bushings and its still there. im thinkin ive got to pull the stem and grease/inspect the lower bushing/bearing. am i on the right track and how hard is the complete removal / installation of this procedure. thanx

Pro400EXC
06-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Wow, thats not good, check your power steering fluid,see if its full,and if it is, you have a bad powersteering pump, and there a pain to replace.

You need a left handed screw driver,for the job, and you also gotta loosen your Fuel-Inject lug nut line, and the flux capacitator may be in the way .

Good luck

Thks HammerHeads,
Pro

Wheelie
06-05-2002, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure about the lower stem bearing, are you sure the ball joints are causing the extra restriction? How about a bent stem?

You might want to check you muffler bearing too......;) (sorry I couldn't resist).

Pappy
06-06-2002, 04:58 PM
there are no tie rods or a arms on the quad, its on a frame stand tore apart. i have greased the top bushing but not the lower end of the stem. i will pick up a new top bushing tomarrow and i geuss disassemble the stem and check the lower end out

Teufel
06-07-2002, 12:57 PM
Pull the stem out and reach in and turn the bearing with your finger. if it feels rough at all then replace it. If you have some hours on the quad replace it anyway :cool:

Sick0
06-09-2002, 02:16 PM
I bet its a bent steering stem. I bent mine back and turns like crap. What happen to is when it bent back, it bent in the bushing restricting movment. good luck

Leo
06-09-2002, 05:17 PM
check the bearing at the bottom of the stem.. if you've got the bike that far apart it's only another few minutes to get the stem out..

the bearing itself is easy to replace, but it's held in the frame by a snap ring, so you'll need a set of snap ring pliers to get it out.

Leo

Pappy
06-09-2002, 06:04 PM
thanks leo, thats what it was!