PDA

View Full Version : Ring compressor, please help!

mcshaw16
08-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Just a quick question. I'm in the middle of my first top end rebuild on my 400ex, soon to be 416ex:) Anyways, I've already had the machine work done to the cylinder and I'm ready to place it back over the piston. My question is, the ring compressor that I got is the coiled up sheet metal kind, and I'm having some trouble with it. It seems that the only way that it would work is if you had the piston separate and could slide it down through the top of the cylinder? Am I wrong?

Because I'm at a point where I have the piston already on the rod, so I don't see how it would work. Is there a different type of ring compressor that I need? Or do I not need one at all?

Thanks

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-17-2005, 06:38 PM
you shouldn't need one at all. Try to do one ring at a time start at the non open part of the ring and work your way around pushing the ring in so that the cylinder will slide down, not sure if you get what I am trying to say. I am terrible at explaining things :ermm:

mcshaw16
08-17-2005, 06:47 PM
No...I do understand. I figured that was the case, but I just didn't have anybody there to give me a hand at the time. I'll just have to get a friend to help me with this part I guess.

Thanks for the reply

zeppelin
08-17-2005, 07:33 PM
im putting together a new topend too. when i went tothe shop to pick up my cylinder after it was bored he said that he put some instructions in the bag on how to install the rings. when i got home i noticed there where no instructions. do you really need one of those ring compresor thingys is there anything that im missing or is it pretty strait forward sorry for kinda hijacking the thread, i didnt think it would be good to make another one about the same thing

Smoker
08-17-2005, 09:58 PM
You don't need one, just a flat screw driver, and an extra set of hands. Next topend I do I will be buying the ring compressor though, it just makes it easier in my opinion and less chance of scratching your new piston up or breaking a ring.

greg_gorrell
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
i definately do not reccomend using a screw driver. all i do is compress the rings with my fingers and push it up into the cylinder. i have done it by myself before but it is way easier with a buddy helping.

Smoker
08-18-2005, 05:47 AM
I had to use a screw driver on mine, it made me nervous the whole time.

underpowered
08-18-2005, 08:04 AM
if the screwdriver thing doesnt work, try using a hose clamp. I have done this before when i was the only one around. tighten a hose clamp around the rings, not to tight it should stil be able to move a little.. slide the cylinder down and it should pop the hose clamp off each ring as it goes down. works good if you are the only one there.

jhoppa
08-18-2005, 08:28 AM
I used a hose clamp, worked great.

Screwdriver????? Not on my engine

mcshaw16
08-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Ok....I'll try that, thanks again

Smoker
08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by jhoppa
I used a hose clamp, worked great.

Screwdriver????? Not on my engine

It's not like I was jamming the thing in there and throwing it around, I just used it to compress the ring and slide the piston up in, I'm certain I'm not the only one whose done this.

underpowered
08-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Smoker
I'm certain I'm not the only one whose done this.

i have, but the hoseclamp is easier if you are working by yourself.

Smoker
08-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
i have, but the hoseclamp is easier if you are working by yourself.

I'll agree, it was a handeful. I wrote earlier in the post I'll definitely invest in the compressor for the next topend I drop on.

OKTRX450R
08-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Here is what I did...lube cylinder wall and side of piston with oil...

Place one of the circlips in the piston and take the cylinder and piston into the kitchen table, place the cylinder on the table (might want to use a towel or something to avoid scratches) with the top down. Assuming you have already checked the ring gap and the rings are on the piston...slide the pin half way through the piston and useing your fingers compress the rings and slide the piston in from the bottom until the pin touches the bottom of the cylinder (this leaves the spacing you need to get it on the rod). Inspect the rings from the bottom by looking in the cylinder at the piston...hold onto the piston and turn the cylinder over and inspect the rings from the top down. If none of the rings have rolled and are all installed correctly then take it out to your atv and slide the pin out far enough to get the rod on...then push the rod through and put in the other circlip.

Piece of cake! Plus, you can actually tell if you have rolled any of the rings...let me know how it goes.

bradrenea
08-18-2005, 01:52 PM
I have always used a hose clamp. They are cheap and work just as well as a spring compressor, and you can install the cylinder by yourself that way. On some pistons that have locating pins for the ring gap the "use your fingers" method doesn't work too well because you might accidentially spin the ring around during the install and you won't know it. If you don't have the locating pins then it wouldn't really matter as long as you don't screw anything up on the way in.

cals400ex
08-19-2005, 12:28 AM
i have a ring compressor and i have better luck using my fingers. be careful though. i end up with my fingers or my hand cut every time whether it is from the cylinder or the rings themselves

mcshaw16
08-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Got the cylinder on no problem yesterday with the help of a buddy. Thanks for all the input!