PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust diddnt jet but rode...NOW I HAVE BLUE SMOKE!!

yungair23
08-17-2005, 01:40 PM
I just put a trinity Stage iv exhaust system on my 400ex ( but exhaust bolts broke so it isnt runnin now anyways..) and diddnt jet and now its blowin out a large amount of blue smoke i have the exhaust and the k&n air filter and thats it for mods also i know for sure its oil burning becuase its blue smoke and it sucks down oil...did me not jetting it cause it somehow to burn oil? and oh yeah there is a signifigant power decrease...

bwamos
08-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Yes.
Lean will make you run too hot. It will burn up your rings, valves, crack the head, etc.. A little harder to do in a 4-stroke. But, it isn't that hard.

Air/Fuel mixture is very important.

yungair23
08-17-2005, 02:10 PM
oh ok it still use to run before the bolts broke for the exhaust and also in the exhaust i removed it there was a sludge build up? i dont think i cracked anything but it did have a loss in power so should i jet it first to see if the smoke goes away or should i try to get the valves or rings adjusted or replaced?

bwamos
08-17-2005, 02:27 PM
If you are blowing a lot of smoke.. you're just gonna have to tear her down to see what is causing it.

Before you start it up again.. you will certinally need to rejet, replace the exhaust bolts, and replace the exhaust crush gasket (important).

Just do a search on the board fot the common jetting with filter and aftermarket pipe. Should get you close enough to work with it.

yungair23
08-17-2005, 03:47 PM
As i was looking at my exhaust i looked through the box it came in and i found two jets i think they were the same size and both read 165 if these are the jets are these what i need they did come with the exhaust but i do have a k&n air filter..? do i need bigger or will these do?

yungair23
08-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Actually the jets i found one was 165 and one was 170...is that enough?

Smoker
08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
185 would probably be better.

yungair23
08-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Ok now i know theres 2 jets the main jet and pilot jet but i dont know where these are...all i know is theres a jet on top of the carb and one on the bottom..right? also wich would go where im thinkin the main jet would be the 170 and the pilot 165 ??? I have no clue on what to do...

Smoker
08-18-2005, 05:46 AM
The main jet will be the one on the bottom of the carb when you take the bottom off, it'll be the first one you see. The pilot will be the smaller one next to it, it'll be a much smaller number, I can't remember what a good pilot size is for a 400, anyone? It'll make starting the bike easier, since they are so cold blooded.

yungair23
08-18-2005, 07:47 AM
OK then why with my exhaust i got two similar jet sizes ?? anyone know do i put on in the pilot and one in the main even though the pilot is suppose to be smaller? I dont get it

bwamos
08-18-2005, 08:49 AM
They are both main jets.
They jsut gave you 2 for some adjustability depending on your ATV, elevation, humidity, etc..

Carb Jetting Article (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/jetting.html)

yungair23
08-18-2005, 08:52 AM
ok so if i put one of the main jets in then i still have to go buy a pilot jet?

Smoker
08-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Since no ones responded, yes, you need to get the pilot jet seperate. Do a search for "pilot jet" under the 400ex section and you'll see what size you should be looking for. Changing the pilot helps make starting easier, then you can take your choke off, which helpls acceleration a tiny bit. Strat involves a few pump of the carb to throw some fuel in there and it usually fires right up. You can get the pilot at most dealers or bike parts place since it is just a standard keihin pilot jet. Good luck!