PDA

View Full Version : Good Dune tires?

Matt400ex_17
08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Looking for opinions on good rear dune tires im thinking Aerospeeds by AMS. Comments how do these work and what elses should i look at.

MNTNMAN
08-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Haulers are the way to go.

Pwrov1
08-17-2005, 01:25 PM
From what I have herd from peeps for an all around tire......my 1st set is going to be ITP SandStars.

kssandduner
08-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Haulers are the only way to go.

400EX QUADER
08-17-2005, 06:12 PM
haulers

250r4life
08-18-2005, 11:53 AM
if youre gunna go with molded, go with the sandstars... if not, haulers... both have their pros and cons... i already have the sand stars, and i might go and pick up a pair of haulers just for dragging the hill as well... but both are good.

OKTRX450R
08-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
if youre gunna go with molded, go with the sandstars... if not, haulers... both have their pros and cons...

I agree completely...stay away from the Geckos and the AMS stuff...

426ex
08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Sandstars corner better, but haulers are the ones for racing.

ibAdam
08-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm about to buy a set of the Sand Stars. I have a stock EX400. What would be the best size?

Ex'r Marlin
08-18-2005, 07:29 PM
I believe the "Haulers" are ideal for high speed straight aways, which have staight paddles.

If you want to corner and have fun "trail riding" the dunes, I highly recommend the ITP Sand Stars!:cool:

Originally posted by ibAdam
I'm about to buy a set of the Sand Stars. I have a stock EX400. What would be the best size?

I do not have a stock 400ex, but I have the 20" ITP Sand Star tire in the rear with a 9" rim... Works great. Some riders like going with a 10" rim, but I believe if you are a heavy rider, (like myself) or like to jump... Either a 9" rim or 8" rim might be a wiser choice, but heavier than the 10" option.

I also put 22" front tires up front. Great for the transitions out on the dunes, but for a stock 400ex, you may want the 21" front tires.

Good luck!

400EX QUADER
08-18-2005, 09:49 PM
22" sandstar front 20-10-8 7paddle haulers rear if ya keep it stock or pipe it.;)

250r4life
08-19-2005, 12:53 AM
or, there is always the skat track edge instead of the haulers... they are super light weight like the haulers, but have the v pattern for better turning... the molded tires will last you quite a long time and are more resistant to environments other than soft sand... they are heavier... the haulers are super light weight and grip good, but also less durable... also a little more pricey... just depends on what you want... i was in a conservative mind set when i bought the sand stars, and i like em, but sometimes question if i should have got the haulers for racing purposes... if youre not gunna drag, i'd say go with the sand stars... i love shooting the hill and hate losing, so like i said i think i might go ahead and pick up the haulers in addition to the sand stars...

450rman33
08-27-2005, 08:51 AM
sand stars all the way

zephead400ex
08-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Kings Turbo Paddles! They are a straight cut paddle but less expensive than Haulers. Granted, they are a straight cut which does not assist with turning, but use a little body english and you'll be fine. I have been running these paddles for over a year and my buddy has had them on his 'shee for about two years and neither one of us have any complaints. I would also recommend running a 10" rim, not the 9" rim Kings suggest on their website.

http://www.kingstire.com/KT-177.htm

Hope this helps.

kssandduner
08-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey zep, are those king paddles molded or are they like the skats? I have a feeling my haulers aren't going to last too long. Some of the trails down there at LS are pretty nasty with tree roots and branches and of course the occaisonal random barbed wire fence! But so far I've been lucky.

Joe

Torrance
08-28-2005, 02:04 AM
I'd go with the taller haulers. and they throw a mean roost.

Ex'r Marlin
08-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Torrance
... the taller haulers. and they throw a mean roost.

I have been on the receiving side of someone riding with "Haulers", and agree, they do throw a "mean roost"!

Dunesurfer
09-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Pretty much all I ride is sand. I have tried most of the tires suggested here. My 002.

Haulers- great straight line. not great for all around duning

ITP Sand Stars- alot of people recomend them, but I rode them on both a z400 and a yzf450 and they blew on both. Couldn't break them loose to save my life. To me like haulers to turn.

Sand sharks- good deal for the money. Alot of guys ride with them, I've tried them many times. Good all around tire

Sand skate 2- This is what I use. they dig well and glide through turns with any amount of drift you want. Very good hookup and lighter than the sand sharks. They wear pretty well too. Rode the hell out of mine for three seasons, Still going strong.

z400roosteR
09-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Grab the Extreme's there an 1/8th of an inch thicker then the regular haulers. All the people i ride with run these and no complains about riding trails etc.

djdimasik
09-11-2005, 11:42 AM
sand sharks are good. I have them, the bad thing is that no reverse, u have to give it full gas to make it go!
But they are pretty good. i think they are cheap too.

drider
09-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Haulers all the way!!! i dont want to hear this, that turns better. hell youre not riding on a race track when youre in the dunes. its all about the correct, tire psi. IF you want lots traction.Low psi.. if you want no traction pump up the psi..

but with the right psi, you can turn slide etc.. If you dont believe me i'll show you on my 450R . i run 20x10x10 haulers. they can turn great. Great traction also.

Torrance
09-12-2005, 07:43 PM
i agree with drider. i dont think anyone could of said it better.

JOEX
09-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Haulers here too!

Turning with is easier with V-paddles but I don't have any problem turning with Haulers, just gotta throw some body english into it:D I rode a friends quad with V's and was too easy to turn for me, kept spinning it around:eek: :p

OKTRX450R
09-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Why do you recommend the Haulers over the Extremes?

I personally run the Paddla Brats 6 paddle comp cut 21" on 8" wheels and they have excellent straight acceleration. I also have a set of Skat Trak Edges tripple buff 7 paddle 20" on 10" wheels...they turn WAY easier. Like someone else said after you ride on the straights the V's turn almost too easy. But for the average rider probably a better all around tire...

But why the Haulers over the Extremes?

JOEX
09-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by OKTRX450R
Why do you recommend the Haulers over the Extremes?

I personally run the Paddla Brats 6 paddle comp cut 21" on 8" wheels and they have excellent straight acceleration. I also have a set of Skat Trak Edges tripple buff 7 paddle 20" on 10" wheels...they turn WAY easier. Like someone else said after you ride on the straights the V's turn almost too easy. But for the average rider probably a better all around tire...

But why the Haulers over the Extremes?
Extremes are Haulers, they have a thicker (not taller) paddle.

JOEX
09-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Extremes are Haulers, they have a thicker (not taller) paddle.
Correction, Haulers and Extremes are Skat-Trak tires. Extremes have a thicker paddle than the Haulers.

TC440EX
09-13-2005, 09:30 PM
any comments on Maxxis Roosters?

Tom TRX250R
09-13-2005, 09:42 PM
I personally own both Sand Skate II's and Haulers and either one of these are an excellent choice. The haulers hook up better in a straight line and I really don't think they handle bad either. The Sand Skate II's are a very durable tire and handle GREAT!

Another option for a cheaper dune tire is the Sand Sharks, I have 3 friends that run these. They are just like the Sand Skate II's but aren't near as durable. My Sand Skate II's are a season older than all of theirs and all of theirs have the paddles tearing. I guess you get what you pay for.

Chef
09-13-2005, 09:58 PM
The Extreme line of tires came around as an option of kevlar reinforcement on the Haulers I think. Thats how it was when I bought my set, 3 years ago.

Big - D Racing
09-14-2005, 09:50 PM
I've ran everything been duning for as long as I can remember since I was 4 if it counts. Haulers are great and so are Sand Skat II's, but last year I was introduced to Maxis Roosters, and I love them far more than Haulers. I run the straight blade design, they hook up like haulers but turn way better. It is like someone took Haulers and gave them Sand Skat II's turning abilities, without any loss of acleration. Best part is they are half the price of haulers. They also have a little longer life than haulers, but they weigh just a little bit more, not nearly the weight of Sand Sharks, Turbo Paddles, Kings, or Sand Stars. On Sand Stars I have ran them on my 450r and they are good, but they don't hook up good enough for me like haulers or roosters. They do turn good. I only have experience with the straight blade roosters not the V blade sorry, but I prefer straight blades and roosters are the way to go. I won't run anything else now, that I have tried them.

smokinwrench
09-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Friend of mine ran some rooster v blades. He hated them got no traction at all.

I prefer haulers also. V paddles just turn way to easy and get no traction out of the corners when riding trails. I spend 90% of my time on trails at little sahara and beaver dunes.