PDA

View Full Version : rumor??

Scro
08-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Anybody else heard about the truckers union going on strike until gas prices are lowered??

Shawn H
08-17-2005, 11:31 AM
I heard someone talking about it at work yesterday.I work in a truck dealership but

I seriously doubt they will just park there rigs on the highway and leave them>Not only would they get fired,even if it was an owner operator there not going to leave there 100g or more rig for someone to take or tow!

Scro
08-17-2005, 11:39 AM
yeah...i think it is unlikely that it will happen...but in my town the gas stations are lined up with cars:eek2:

08-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Their in a Union, cant get fired that easily and if they do do it, everything pretty much turns to a standstill and there simply isnt enough NON protesting truckers to do the job.

Yes they are planning on striking, when i have no idea.

08-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by snowgasm
I heard someone talking about it at work yesterday.I work in a truck dealership but

I seriously doubt they will just park there rigs on the highway and leave them>Not only would they get fired,even if it was an owner operator there not going to leave there 100g or more rig for someone to take or tow!

They are mostly independent truckers with their own rigs, you have any idea how expensive it would be for Agents to purchase enough trucks to handle the cargo?

Shawn H
08-17-2005, 11:47 AM
No I dont have an Idea :rolleyes:

I have been in the business for 15 years my wife owns 15 peterbuilts with here brother and here dad has another 35 petes.

Anyways it would be abandoning the job your union (Im also in a Union) Protects you with your job not if you park and walk away basically quitting!! A UNION has NOTHING to do with the price of Diesel!

All tho it would take an agent awhile to get situated there are tons of truckers who dont care and would gladly take on loads scabbing>

Now if a big fleets like Yellow, Jb hunt just shut down that would make more sense but leaving them on the road will not be very smart.have ya ever had a truck and trailer towed? Big money:D

08-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Yes and i also own my own Agency which does Trucking and Stevedoring.

Never said the UNION has anything to do with the gas prices, i said the UNION gives protection.... As americans you have the right to Protest or Stike once its done via the right channels, or didnt you know that, and there isnt a damn thing the container lines or the Agents can do about it.

Your talking about a Trucking company that owns multiple trucks and has drivers working for them... Yes you can fire the drivers if you want but why would they strike in the first place unless your making them buy their own gas and its not their truck.

The strike is being brought by the "INDEPENDENT" truckers not Trucking Companies although there might be some that gets involved.

Shawn H
08-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Gives protection to the employee for his job but not if he abandons his job by striking diesel prices> You basically have the union to protect you and gain you benfits on the job NOT to protect you from striking Diesel prices.

Of course the agents and Container lines cant do nothing about it,Do you pay the wages to the drivers no the employer does and if you abandon and dont do your job that the company has no power in controlling you can and will get fired!

I see your point that an ITO cant get fired Since they are there own boss, but I highly doubt you or anyother agents would consider or appreciate this.

So would you call them all back and say great job no hard feelings come pick up a load or are you going to go with your new drivers ya had to find in place of them and say thanks you helped out alot and saved are ***?

In the end its not going to change the price of Fuel!

08-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Like i said, they have a right to protest and strike if they go thru the right channels.

it all wount do any good but hey something for them to do i guess....

I could care less, as soon as we get a GRI, we up our spotting costs.

wilkin250r
08-17-2005, 11:57 AM
So a couple truckers are going to change the entire world economy?

WTF is the logic of striking against gas prices? Do they honestly think that their little strike will convince the Middle East to increase production, or drop oil prices?

There has to be more to the story, they can't just be striking against high gas prices. That would be stupid. Are they forced to buy their own fuel, and thus striking for increases in pay to offset higher fuel prices?

Are they trying to force our own government to lower taxes on fuel?

There are HUGE blanks in the story so far...

08-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Its not about gas prices really, its about their pay. NO one said it was striking to Change gas prices... that would be stupid.

They are earning less now because of the gas prices (same haul yielded 1000 bucks before it might yeild only 750 now) and they want to be compensated for it... I dont blame them.

Shawn H
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Yea they are pissed cause they have contract prices and NO ONE will raise there prices for the compensation of fuel!

My wife and her family has taken a huge hit since the price of fuel raised a last year.nothing you can do about until you have the abiltiy to renegotiate there contracts!

honduh440
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
They deduct pay from their employees for fuel? Thats stupid! Thats like deducting pay from your employees becuase the heat is causing yout to pay more for the air conditoner in the office.

Shawn H
08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
NO,

Say it cost you 5 bucks to go 50 miles last year at that current gas price,

Now(Today) you got to go 50 miles and the gas price has raised 60 cents a gallon since last year now you just lost money:mad:

08-17-2005, 12:09 PM
DUDE!!! (honduh440)

they have a set price (contract) to do certain routes, out of that nogotiated price they have to pay for their gas.

nothing about deducting for gas. quit thinking "McDonalds type" occupation.

Talking about Contracts and why its bullcrap about re-negotiating.

When the container lines have a GRI (General Rate Increase) that GRI comes about becuase of steel cost and Fuel costs around the world....

This GRI is passed on to the the Client (shipper/consignee) if they have a contracted rate for 20/40 footers or not....

So if the Consignee can pay the extra costs even if they have a "Contracted Rate" why the hell cant the truckers also have Rate Increases.

You cant expect a contracted rate to hold forever and ever, especially during wartime everything goes up.

Shawn H
08-17-2005, 12:13 PM
I agree its Bull chit everyone should get a increase it reflects the agent, me the Mechanic, the drivers, insurance rates there are so many variables that the hauler eats!!

We have contracts with Energy plants,and cement plants. We don't deal with containers.

We have to make contracts that reflect the load, fuel,truck trailer fee's etc... and they are usually renegotiated every 2 years and with our Energy plant contracts its up to 5 year lock in. Sometimes they do increase the rates which is good>

wilkin250r
08-17-2005, 12:13 PM
So it's the companies that are going on strike against their contracts? It's not the truckers themselves (unless independently owned), or the unions, but rather it is the parent companies.

That makes more cents (get it?).

honduh440
08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
How long is an average contract term?

wilkin250r
08-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Sounds to me like you got a bunch of idiots negotiating contracts. Gas prices have been rising for many years, now. You would think that somebody in the business would have enough sense to pull their head from their *** and insert a provision for a fuel surcharge into the contract.

Shawn H
08-17-2005, 12:18 PM
When you creat a contract thats long than you try and guess how much the fuel is going to raise and inflate some times you make more money sometimes you make less.

There are statistics that are used in the guess work>

wilkin250r
08-17-2005, 12:23 PM
If that's true, and they guessed wrong, then too ****ing bad.

You screw up your own contract, deal with it.

honduh440
08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
that was my question........ are the contracts long enough that inflation would need to be put into factor. you say yes and everyone just ****ed up? lol

08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Agreed but then that should also be the case for container liners, ocean freight should not go up for the "Contracted" shippers/consignee's either if you use your logic, but it does. Consignee has nothing to do with fuel cost to bring their container from Japan to the US or how much it costs for the containers to be built (steel prices)

Fact is it costs more to do the job and their should be allowances for such things.

08-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
If that's true, and they guessed wrong, then too ****ing bad.

You screw up your own contract, deal with it.

And they are trying to deal with it.

When you bought your car (if you have one, this is hypothetical) to use to goto work and you sat down with your new employee and figured you would need X amount per month for your family to servive and for you to drive too and from work each day.

Then somethinglike this happens (WAR) and now it cost you 2-3 times the amount in gas to get to work, would you not be pissed??? you didnt expect that, what would you do???? for damn sure your boss is charging everyone else more trust me on that one.

Ask for a raise correct? and if that didnt happen you would have to take steps to make things better, either quit or get a better paying job, or would you just lumber along because your boss feels you dont need a raise when he knows cost of living has gone up and it costs you an arm and a leg to get to work.

08-17-2005, 12:54 PM
lol.. this whole thread.. i havent seen one person bring up the whole ****storm they had in dc a few years ago over the prices of diesel... remember, they all drove to dc, pretty much turned dc into a standstill, and got **** done.. god forbid your local politiian cant get to the starbucks.

Jesse

wilkin250r
08-17-2005, 01:40 PM
I see. So, you don't want your costs to increase and cut into your pocket, so you increase costs to your customers and pass it on to them. Who cares about their costs and pockets, right?

Your customers didn't expect the fuel increase, but now you're going to stick them with the cost? So, instead of YOU getting screwed, you screw your customers. That's a perfect solution, just pass the buck off to somebody else.

Bottom line is, you agree to a contract. If you didn't like the contract, don't agree to it, or insert provisions for things like rising fuel costs.

Shawn H
08-17-2005, 06:43 PM
You dont understand,I see where you are coming from tho!

Everyone is passing the buck on to the consumer, the guy that owns the pumps didnt expect an increase yet he still makes the same amount of profit.the refieneries still are making a HUGE profit, everyone is still making a profit that you pay for same thing with gas and electric for your house if ya got 1 when prices raise so does your bill.

So why shouldnt they get a raise?:(

With out trucks the we have nothing they haul everything!! railroads and airplanes cant do it all its not possible and yet they chit on the truckers!

08-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I see. So, you don't want your costs to increase and cut into your pocket, so you increase costs to your customers and pass it on to them. Who cares about their costs and pockets, right?

Your customers didn't expect the fuel increase, but now you're going to stick them with the cost? So, instead of YOU getting screwed, you screw your customers. That's a perfect solution, just pass the buck off to somebody else.

Bottom line is, you agree to a contract. If you didn't like the contract, don't agree to it, or insert provisions for things like rising fuel costs.

You obviously dont know how business or the world works.

wilkin250r
08-18-2005, 09:27 AM
WTF are you talking about? I don't know how business or the world works?

I'm not some punk kid. I'm an engineer in charge of a $50 million dollar segment of business.

More importantly, I am your customer.

I manufacture parts overseas, and ship them here. I deal with it ALL, from ocean-shipments to air-shipments, and then ground shipments from the dock to the end customer.

So, let me clue you in to a unique perspective, the perpective of YOUR CUSTOMER.

I didn't plan for fuel increases, either. Not only that, I CANNOT add fuel surcharges into the cost of my end product, it's impossible. I have a final cost per unit, and I set those prices years in advance through purchase orders already on my books, I can't raise prices. So shipping cost increases cut directly into my bottom line, too. But now, even though YOU agreed to a contract, you're not willing to bite the bullet, so you want to go on strike and pass that buck on to ME. You want to make the same profit that you always have, and pass the extra costs on to me. You make your profit, screw the next guy down the line.

I agreed to a price with my end customer, and I'm standing by that price. You agreed to a price, but you're not willing to stand by it, instead you want to go on strike.

Shawn H
08-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Whoa
He's not going on strike he is a Agent he's not striking he is just defending the trucker who want to strike !

It would effect him as well as you and me!

Anyone with half a brain KNOWS this will do absolutelly NO GOOD to strike>

prepracing
08-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm
No I dont have an Idea :rolleyes:

I have been in the business for 15 years my wife owns 15 peterbuilts with here brother and here dad has another 35 petes.

Anyways it would be abandoning the job your union (Im also in a Union) Protects you with your job not if you park and walk away basically quitting!! A UNION has NOTHING to do with the price of Diesel!

All tho it would take an agent awhile to get situated there are tons of truckers who dont care and would gladly take on loads scabbing>

Now if a big fleets like Yellow, Jb hunt just shut down that would make more sense but leaving them on the road will not be very smart.have ya ever had a truck and trailer towed? Big money:D
you own 15 Pete's and you can't spell it correctly :confused: PETERBILT and I'm pretty sure they don't run on gas anyway :blah:

trick450r
08-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by DierWolf
Yes and i also own my own Agency which does Trucking and Stevedoring.

Never said the UNION has anything to do with the gas prices, i said the UNION gives protection.... As americans you have the right to Protest or Stike once its done via the right channels, or didnt you know that, and there isnt a damn thing the container lines or the Agents can do about it.

Your talking about a Trucking company that owns multiple trucks and has drivers working for them... Yes you can fire the drivers if you want but why would they strike in the first place unless your making them buy their own gas and its not their truck.

The strike is being brought by the "INDEPENDENT" truckers not Trucking Companies although there might be some that gets involved.

so basically you own a trucking company, you design paintball guns, and i think you said you own like 3 cyber cafes...sounds like your either very good at multi tasking or you are a little prick trying to make yourself sound amazing...if im totally wrong, sorry...im just putting together the facts and it smells alittle fishy...

derekhonda
08-20-2005, 09:51 PM
i think there are three people in here who know what they are talking about. the rest of you need to shut the **** up, you know nothing about economics, and nothing about trucking.

08-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by trick450r
so basically you own a trucking company, you design paintball guns, and i think you said you own like 3 cyber cafes...sounds like your either very good at multi tasking or you are a little prick trying to make yourself sound amazing...

IF!!! you actually read anything about me and when i was telling what i did, you would know i dont have 3 cafe's anymore thats the first thing i did when i moved down then sold them for tonloads, of which the money i made from that started the trucking company... Its not really just a trucking company, im the AGENT for 3 container lines (Crowley, Seaboard marine and EWL out of Europe).... So its more than just trucking the containers.

AS For Armotech/Warsensor, feel free to join the forum over there and ask them who the hell i am if you feel i am lying to you... i do that for FREE as i like to do mechanical design since thats what i studied for. Plus its a good way to get the newest and best of their product for FREE!

You can call me a little prick all you want, and i dont need to make myself sound "Amazing", like i said lots of times, i worked hard for what i have and i wount let a "little prick" like you who is not even half my age knock me down.

Grow some ball hair!
Peace out!

popo
08-21-2005, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
you own 15 Pete's and you can't spell it correctly :confused: PETERBILT and I'm pretty sure they don't run on gas anyway :blah:

No he's a diesel mech and his wife and family own them you "Peterhead".

trick450r
08-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by DierWolf
IF!!! you actually read anything about me and when i was telling what i did, you would know i dont have 3 cafe's anymore thats the first thing i did when i moved down then sold them for tonloads, of which the money i made from that started the trucking company... Its not really just a trucking company, im the AGENT for 3 container lines (Crowley, Seaboard marine and EWL out of Europe).... So its more than just trucking the containers.

AS For Armotech/Warsensor, feel free to join the forum over there and ask them who the hell i am if you feel i am lying to you... i do that for FREE as i like to do mechanical design since thats what i studied for. Plus its a good way to get the newest and best of their product for FREE!

You can call me a little prick all you want, and i dont need to make myself sound "Amazing", like i said lots of times, i worked hard for what i have and i wount let a "little prick" like you who is not even half my age knock me down.

Grow some ball hair!
Peace out!

whoa hoss calm down i wouldnt want your bloodpressure to get to high...i clearly stated in my post that if im wrong im sorry...but some of the things you've said on here sound like a complete load of bull...i was just putting together some of the things YOU have said...

Shawn H
08-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by popo
No he's a diesel mech and his wife and family own them you "Peterhead".

Thanks POPO!!

I guess this ruins my credibilty since he pointed them there 2 facts out.:rolleyes:

BTW: She owns 15 of them (not me) learn how to read and I will learn how to spell,Only I know how to spell, I just accidently hit the U which is next to the I while typing in such a hurry. :cool:

Warnerade
08-21-2005, 08:52 AM
so how about them gas prices?

08-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
so how about them gas prices?

lmao:D

08-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
whoa hoss calm down i wouldnt want your bloodpressure to get to high...i clearly stated in my post that if im wrong im sorry...but some of the things you've said on here sound like a complete load of bull...i was just putting together some of the things YOU have said...

Nice try dickhead but your Original post is quoted in my post and it did not say "if you were wrong" just like a kid to try and cover up what his mouth said without his brain knowing it.