PDA

View Full Version : Something Wrong With The Transmission!!

yungair23
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
I got an 02 Honda 400ex and it has around 40 to 50 hours on it and i got a few problems but my main problem is that everytime i shift from 1st to 2nd its as if it goes straight into nuetral! I made sure i wasnt shifting into nuetral just to rule that out...I dont know what it is I have been told my gear is broken or that my clutch is goin but i dont know for sure what it is...also i bought a stge iv trinity exhaust system and when i tryed to bolt it up 3 of my bolts broke in half and and i cant get them out what do i need to do?

08-17-2005, 04:58 AM
the tranny issue may be solved by somthing as simple as adjusting the clutch.

the best thing to do for thoes snaped bolts is take the head off and have it done. or get a new one.

rooster300ex
08-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Thats what i call bad luck.

yungair23
08-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Oh yea and one other main thing to why " I " think i broke second gear completly what was happening before it got like this is it use to slip and then catch...also what did you mean by having it done do you mean drilling them out?

bwamos
08-17-2005, 02:29 PM
He means having a shop do it for you.

yungair23
08-17-2005, 03:33 PM
the best thing to do for thoes snaped bolts is take the head off and have it done. or get a new one. [/B][/QUOTE]

where can i get a new one?

08-17-2005, 03:37 PM
check ebay for a used one. or the parts section heare

F-16Guy
08-17-2005, 03:58 PM
You probably had a tooth missing before when it was slipping and catching; that would have been a good time to fix it. You may have really broken something good now. As far as the bolts go, just go to your local auto parts store and get a small enough EZ-Out bit and a matching drill bit (if you don't already have some drill bits around that size). Drill into the center of the snapped off bolt about 1/4-3/8", tap the EZ-Out in enough to get a good bite, and then turn it counter clockwise with an adjustable wrench or Vise Grips.

yungair23
08-17-2005, 04:15 PM
So if i totally ruined my second gear this means that its a major job to fix and will be $$$$???

08-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I have a 01 motor. thing is mint. low hours. will replace all your problems. no problems with the motor. just bought a 416 motor all done up, this stock motor has been sitting of the garage floor scence. I will sell it at a diecent price. they seem to go for anywares from 600-800$. let me know if you are interested.

yungair23
08-17-2005, 08:40 PM
YES!! i have been looking around for a whole new motor but cant really find any decent is this a good motor? do you know how many hours it has?

jwisniew
08-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by yungair23
Oh yea and one other main thing to why " I " think i broke second gear completly what was happening before it got like this is it use to slip and then catch...also what did you mean by having it done do you mean drilling them out?

sounds like what happened to my quad, i replaced 2nd about 2 months ago and now its slipping and catching and i think i must have missed a gear i needed to replace, im in the process of tearing into the engine now.

my tranny locked up when i first replaced 2nd and i spent $400 or so but it depends on how much stuff got ripped up in the tranny.

yungair23
08-19-2005, 05:46 PM
oh so you dont think by any chance before you replaced it it could have been your clutch and or now it is too? I hope mine is only my clutch but i dont know what to do to try to check to see if it is or not...

and you said when you ruined your 2nd your tranny locked up you mean it wouldnt shift cus mine can pass right to 3rd and the rest are fine...

jwisniew
08-19-2005, 06:19 PM
in no way was it the clutch, there were pieces of gears all over in there and by locking up i mean it couldnt be ran or put in nuetral cuz it was jammed up with broken teeth and things

yungair23
08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
well than maybe i diddnt blow 2nd cus mine still runs and goes 1, 2nd wich is like hittin nuetral but clicks and clanks,3rd and 4th and 5th are all ok could it be the clutch maybe...?

jwisniew
08-20-2005, 12:51 PM
i dont know why the clutch would only affect 2nd though, something could be broken in there that hasnt got caught up in any of the gears yet and riding it more could get it caught up in there.

just check out the clutch using the repair manual by making sure all components are there and in the right spots and undamaged and what not. its a lot easier to just check out the clutch than digging into the tranny and if it isnt the clutch you'll have it partly dissasembled already to get to the tranny.

prepracing
08-22-2005, 01:52 AM
could be a shift fork problem in the tranny if its actually just having trouble going to 2nd, but if its slipping in and out 2nd gear is the most common to go out. The teeth on the gear get rounded and won't stay engaged, you wouldn't believe how little wear it actually takes for them to start slipping. I installed mine myself and when I pulled out the old one and compared it to the new one I was shocked to see very little difference in the sharpness of the teeth. But my local shop told me right because that fixed it, they also suggested that I replace 3rd gear at the same time as 2nd because of how they engage together. Not sure if thats a must do, but I did it anyway. Also if you tear into it yourself you will need a genuine honda service manual like the shops use if your not familiar with the tranny, cause when you split that case and start pulling things apart, shift forks and spacers will go everywhere. Good Luck :D

yungair23
08-22-2005, 06:13 AM
it goes into second but it doesnt grab and hook up and move i think the tetth are the problem...so what its a job that can be done just takes some time?