PDA

View Full Version : ? about changing crossover on shocks

sampleez
08-16-2005, 07:55 PM
i noticed in the elka book that i can change the lower crossover(between main spring and second one) to make it stiffer. where in the travel will it be stiffer? cause i would like it to be stiffer for some bigger jumps.

sampleez
08-17-2005, 06:32 PM
bump.........

well, i went ahead and switched it. i haven't rode yet since it's muddy, but it felt like it made a noticable difference.

Pappy
08-17-2005, 06:36 PM
i got the cross overs switched by accident when i reassembled a set of my elka's and it did have somewhat of a stiffer ride.

sampleez
08-17-2005, 07:01 PM
was it stiff everywhere?? cause i love how it rides over bumps and stuff now.

i think i'm just gonna order some stiffer main springs. the ones i have now have yellow dots on them. and a guy that weighs 30 pounds less than me said his had the same ones. :confused: so i think that's prolly it.

anyone know what color ones i'll need. btw i weigh 175 without gear, and it's for elka rec shocks with +2 houser aarms, for mx riding

416exmx
08-17-2005, 09:41 PM
The crossovers basicaly tell the next spring when it is time to kick in. The upper springs are for smaller bumps and the main spring is for your big jumps. The crossovers will have a tall side and a short side. If the tall side is up, as the shock compresses, it will go to the next spring faster because it will compress untill it hits the crossover, therefore it will be a stiffer ride because it is going to the main spring faster. If the crossovers are with the short side up, it will have a softer ride because each of the upper springs will compress more before going to the main spring. That is a quickie on crossovers. Your problem may be your shocks are valved too soft for you. If you have compression, or even compression high/low speed adjust, then you can play with that some.

08-18-2005, 10:22 AM
416xmx is very correct. With main spring more or less are used for the weight of the rider. we use a spring as a primary soure and most of the time change valving if spring rates are correct. The next step up from your yellow is a white stripe that is 4.8KG or 266 pound spring. if the bike feels comfortable and you want it just a little stiffer try compression if that doesnt work give that spring a shot

Pappy
08-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by sampleez
was it stiff everywhere?? cause i love how it rides over bumps and stuff now.

mine actually was too stiff over small stutter bumps and we had the shocks revalved but retained the springs. after that it was good.

sampleez
08-19-2005, 10:16 AM
well, these are the non adjustable ones, so the spring is about my only option, and i don't wanna send it back right now. i think that the spring will make it about right.

and pappy, i did notice from pushing down on the bumper after flipping the crossover that it got stiff pretty early. i'm gonna ride it prolly tomorrow and see if it's not too bad.

do i need to get ahold of the elka dealer i got the shocks from to get the springs, or can i just call elka direct.......or which ever will be easier.

thanks for the help guys!!