PDA

View Full Version : need help building ultimate dune 450r

jjump59
08-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Need opinions on building my 450R into the ultimate dune machine. I ride about 80/90 percent dune other 10/20 percent trails. Would you go with long travel? Looking at the Fox shocks but am open to other opinions. What about the rear, long travel, ext swingarm? Money isn't an issue, only want the badest dune machine it can be. What kind of wheel would you run, Carbon fiber or aluminum? Thanks for any help!

450robot
08-16-2005, 06:17 PM
long travel with elka dune editions for sure

if you want light weight go with the carbon fiber

but if you want awsome looks with a lighter wheel go with those new itp 10 inch rims (cseries)

08-17-2005, 09:38 AM
You don't necessarily need "long travel" for the dunes, though the added benefit of the longer shock you can run always helps. I have +3+1 a-arms and a +1 swingarm from Epic Suspension using TCS shocks and it works flawlessly. They have a range of products from Recreational, Intermediate (The ones I have) and LT that most of Alba's racers use.
I have heard that the Elka Dune edition shocks work great as well.

Let me know if you need any info.

400grl
08-17-2005, 10:44 AM
If you want the ultimate, baddest of the bad, then I'd say go for the long travel suspension.........can't hurt, and if you have the money, why not?

I have Rated X Motorsports longshock (longtravel) suspension on my YFZ (with the TCS shocks - awesome shocks!) and I have to say this is the best set-up I've ever run......excellent clearance without sacraficing ride height....no pushing....excellent response.....and the construction of these arms is top notch!! ;) I can't wait to get my YFZ out to the dunes this season!!! :devil:

08-17-2005, 10:47 AM
If money is not an issue i would go long travel in the front and in the rear with a special swingarm set-up. the shock travel is much nicer and is a better set-up. for a wheel in the dunes i would run a douglas shamrock just because of the looks and it will never fail. the new fox shock has not come out yet and if you were to go with a fox thats what i would wait for if not run a elka that can be adjusted hi/lo and rebound.

400exrider0004
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
sry for change of subject but what does rebound do and is it needed for the dunes?

Getting back on subject....if money isn't an issue then go with Roll design LT a-arms with the Elka dune edition shocks. With paddles and wheels go with sand stars and c-series wheels. With swingarm you could extend it about an inch or so.

250xridamatt
08-17-2005, 12:46 PM
If you want some sweet and really good rims, get some hipers. You should also get some nice new plastic, and talk to pappy about getting some bling added to your frame.

08-17-2005, 01:32 PM
rebound is for how fast the shock returns out its not really needed for a dune set-up but if he has the money to spend might has well have it. As for the c-series rim they are way to heavy for the dunes the itp paddle is good but that cast rim i dont think os the way to go.

jesshamner
08-17-2005, 03:12 PM
From what I've heard, C series aren't light. As far as beadlocks go, Hiper wheels aren't that much lighter than the aluminum beadlocks. When I was at Glamis, I rolled 2 sets of tires off the bead somehow, but the sand was wet. I don't know if that's what caused it but it can't hurt to use beadlocks.

08-17-2005, 03:28 PM
we have to run beadlocks out in the dunes thats why i recommended them i am normally out there with Kory Ellis, Jeremy Schell, Daryl Patton. with the paddles having to run a low tire pressure and the jumps that they do we always have a bead come off. So if you are doing alot of jumping run beadlocks plus the sand gets in the bead and they dont hold air the second day with a regular bead

jjump59
08-17-2005, 06:32 PM
right now i'm thinking roll design +2 LT fronts with Elka dune shocks or the Fox Evo's. rear looks like a 1.25 over but can't decide on the company. thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming!

jesshamner
08-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by PC-AW
we have to run beadlocks out in the dunes thats why i recommended them i am normally out there with Kory Ellis, Jeremy Schell, Daryl Patton. with the paddles having to run a low tire pressure and the jumps that they do we always have a bead come off. So if you are doing alot of jumping run beadlocks plus the sand gets in the bead and they dont hold air the second day with a regular bead

Yeah I guess thats what my problem was. I tried jumping every dune and was trying to roost and $h!t all the time. I'd buy beadlocks for paddles if I rode out there all the time.

OKTRX450R
08-18-2005, 08:07 PM
The ultimate Dune 450R...Walsh Savior swingarm +1.25" or +2" Custom Axis, PEP, or Elka Elites with Dune Edition Valving...Up front Walsh A-Arms (Only sell Long Body) or Laeger T-pin LT front +2 or +3 whatever you prefer with matching shocks as front.

Pulse Charger Exhaust (Jet Hot Sterling Silver coating on the pipe), 480CC 14:1 Hammer Hedz piston, KW springs, professionally ported head, Dyna CDI, Lectron carb, Possibly Methanol if you like (I would stay with race gas for a while), Sparks filter/Intake, HRC kit or VCP cam when available.

Fasst Flex bars, chrome stem (take your pick of brands), Precision Racing Products steering damper, 14 tooth front, 39 or 40 tooth rear, DID X ring chain, Tons of powder coating, Trail Tech HID lights, custom seat cover, IMS front bumper and PRM rear, carbon hood.

Paddla Brats 6 paddle comp cut and Mowhawk ribs or smoothies up front...whatever rims you pick. I have not seen as much problem with beads as others...I run .125 wheels.

That should do it...Outta money yet? If not I have a few other ideas to play with...

jesshamner
08-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Is that all? LOL...might as well post the other ideas too.

08-19-2005, 10:22 AM
not to get off topic and not saying nothing about the power it could be good but that pulse charger exhaust is probably the worst looking one on the market.

OKTRX450R
08-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I would beg to differ...I have people stop me all the time and ask what it is because it is "awesome looking"....the first few months it actually became annoying...people following me back to camp. Or coming over and asking...

I think the majority of the folks in the world LOVE the way the PC looks...but hey, you are entitled to your opinion too!

Originally posted by PC-AW
not to get off topic and not saying nothing about the power it could be good but that pulse charger exhaust is probably the worst looking one on the market.

OKTRX450R
08-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Well the other ideas are swapping parts to see what works better...that would be a great initial set up...personally nice to play with the different length swingers and forward offsets of the a arms...etc.

Originally posted by jesshamner
Is that all? LOL...might as well post the other ideas too.

jjump59
08-20-2005, 09:35 AM
What do you guys think of LSR stuff? They are local and I met one of the guys from there the other day. Seemed like a great bunch of people.

OKTRX450R
08-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Personally I think LSR is great stuff...I could not justify the cost of the Walsh stuff myself so I went with the LSR...I just received the Outlaw Swingarm...still waiting on the custom axis shock and then the DC4 front with axis also...

Chef
08-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Whatever you get, don't get aluminum beadlocks, especially Shamrocks or Billet Beadlocks...way too much weight that is not needed. I have run them in the sand, and they look neat but are super heavy and sap alot of HP from you. If you are set on beadlocks get HiPers or just some normal 160 aluminum Doulas's.

jjump59
08-20-2005, 02:01 PM
yep it's looking like full long travel LSR front and rear with the elka dune shocks. i'm thinking the hyper wheels but havn't for sure made up my mind. hope to buy everything in the next few weeks. i'll try to post first ride impression after it's done. thanks for all the help, still checking if you guys have other suggestions.

OKTRX450R
08-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Remember there are several models of the dune shocks...comp adjust, comp and rebound, hi and low comp and rebound...etc.