PDA

View Full Version : engine trouble

big diggin7
08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
i was coming down the road in a hurry when i got down shifted to 3rd gear it made a clicking sound and a blah when i gave it throttle and shut off. i let it cool down for about 2 mins and tryed to start it up again and t was clicking and it sounded like it was in the top end and i was coming down my driveway when i let the clutch out in first gear it just went blah and shut off, it seemed like it wouldnt haul me so i thought it was a pistin. i started it up the next day and it seemed fine but had a clicking noise still. i took it to a local mechanic and he said it sounded liek bottom end noises. it works the same as it always did and will still haul me fine....what do you think it sounds like?

01 400ex, xr400 cam, wb e-series exhaust, K&N filter and jets, modafied stock header, 2+2 axle

RiderTRX400ex
08-16-2005, 02:26 PM
check for smoke, probably blue... see if its burning oil..

sounds like its time for the next bore though

Chicksdigme423
09-14-2005, 10:11 PM
i had a similar problem with my 300ex, it ran fine but it made a ticking sound... i adjusted the valves and it did it again, i ended up having to put a new exhaust rocker and new cam in it, check your oil and your valve clearances... 400ex's should be .005 exhaust and .004 intake... btw my clicking sounded like it was in the bottom and top... so just check on your valves

Chicksdigme423
09-14-2005, 10:13 PM
i forgot to say it will also give out because your valves arent opening up all the way... hope i helped

dork
09-14-2005, 11:07 PM
did you downshift from high rpms? might have floated the valves or broke a spring. mechanical overrev is very hard on a motor.