PDA

View Full Version : Electrical help

K_lvl_K
08-16-2005, 02:59 AM
I have an 04 TLD. At first, I would be riding and all the sudden the bike would just stop dead in its tracks. No electric power at all. Turn the key off for a min and then turn it back on and it would start right up. That happened twice. I took it to my dealer explained the problem. They did a complete electrical check and only found that the battery needed replaced. Went on vacation rode for 4 days with no problems. On the 5th day, we left camp and rode for about 20 min, stopped for a smoke and noticed that my fan was not running and my neutral light was not on. Had absolutely no power again the brand new battery was completely dead. I cut my vacation short by 3 days, went back to the dealer, told them what happened. They checked the electrical system 2 more times and decided it was just a lemon battery. I have a feeling its not the battery at all ( pure speculation ) and since it is 3am and I am getting paid to sit here and do nothing I figured I might as well see if anyone has an idea of what the problem could be if its not the battery.

Flynbryan19
08-16-2005, 05:27 AM
It could be your rectifier. That happened to several others before and it turned out to be the rectifier.

QuadJunkies
08-17-2005, 01:23 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by K_lvl_K
I have an 04 TLD. At first, I would be riding and all the sudden the bike would just stop dead in its tracks. No electric power at all. Turn the key off for a min and then turn it back on and it would start right up. That happened twice. I took it to my dealer explained the problem. They did a complete electrical check and only found that the battery needed replaced. Went on vacation rode for 4 days with no problems. On the 5th day, we left camp and rode for about 20 min, stopped for a smoke and noticed that my fan was not running and my neutral light was not on. Had absolutely no power again the brand new battery was completely dead. I cut my vacation short by 3 days, went back to the dealer, told them what happened. They checked the electrical system 2 more times and decided it was just a lemon battery. I have a feeling its not the battery at all ( pure speculation ) and since it is 3am and I am getting paid to sit here and do nothing I figured I might as well see if anyone has an idea of what the problem could be if its not the battery. [/QUOTE

Its your recifier..Im seeing this more and more .... Been there, done that ..... Buy a Procom ;)] Problem solved.

Tina

K_lvl_K
08-17-2005, 01:32 AM
supposably (sp?) the dealership checked the rectifier in all of the "complete electrical checks" that they did. But who knows for sure.

Thanks for the heads up, it will at least give me somewhere to start if / when the new battery dies.

K_lvl_K
08-17-2005, 01:33 AM
How much are procom's going for? Any idea?

QuadJunkies
08-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Procom sponsored us ours so Im not sure ,but you can go to there website www.procomengineering.com The one thing thats nice is, its cheaper than OEM, just make sure you get one that fits your CDI's needs (for instnace a Vortex) you will REALLY mess up things if you get the wrong one .

We tohught too we had not one,not tow.. but THREE bad batteries beofre we realized that it was the rectifier,the price is less than a battery, so I would go that route first.

Tina

K_lvl_K
08-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanx for the help Ya'll. Much appriciated!!!