PDA

View Full Version : Race start

yamaha1470
06-05-2002, 04:41 PM
How do you guys get good holeshots at the start of the race? Do you have any tips that would help me out? How do you take off so fast with out stalling?

Thanks

Wingnut
06-05-2002, 08:17 PM
Are you talking about a gate style MX start or a dead engine XC start? With the dead engine start it is mostly just having a feel for when your engine has started and running well enough to pull you off the line. Either way practice will help more than anything.

bansheeguy77
06-05-2002, 08:45 PM
yup just practice practice and practice some more. maybe u could have some1 time u or like drop their hand or something like that so u get used 2 it.

Wired
06-05-2002, 09:17 PM
start out in second. if you have a 400ex or any other 4 stroke get real comfertable feathering the clutch so you dont flip her backwards, if you have a 2 stroke drop the clutch and lean foward and for god sakes hold on!!!!! :p

chris29
06-05-2002, 11:00 PM
Watch the gate and you'll be late, watch the pin and you'll win. And don't get all up on the gate stay 2 to 3 feet from it and slip you clutch.

400exBro
06-06-2002, 03:44 PM
i was wondering, if i dig up the soil/sand from where my 400 sits on the line till about 5 feet infront of the bike, so it is very soft and ables it to spin the wheels for at least 3 feet till it is packed again, so it won't wheelie all the time of the line????
i have had problems with dropping the clutch off the line that i wheelie a lot off the line which slows me down a lot becuase you have to pull in the clucth (maybe even hit the back break) and shift in to a higher gear....
i though of it for a bit, i will try it this sunday at the race.....
lata
Bro

harebounder
06-06-2002, 04:16 PM
Harescrambles:
Ok this is some of my tips. I am not giving you the first one because i don't want you beating me off the line. Try different ways of starting your machine and figure out which one is the fastest. Then find out the correct body position on the bike. This you will need to practice on different terrain so when you get to certain tracks you'll have some what of an idea where to position yourself on the machine. Your better of spinning a little and sliding to the back of your machine to look for more traction than taking the time of trying to put the front wheels down or pull the clutch to feather the wheels back down. If that don't work and the wheels come up i short shift into second in that process the front wheels come down you have enough r'ss (rpm) for second to pull you out in front. If it so happens you are starting on a down hill start i have heard of guys not pulling in the clutch and starting it right in gear. Not good for kickstarter guys but i hope you figured that out. I usally get in top three or four everytime last race i got first. Even when i was running my banshee while going up against guys with electric start i got in the top four everytime. Hope that gave some ideas.