PDA

View Full Version : what does this mean

400exrules
08-15-2005, 04:29 PM
What does it mean when every now and then on start up, if i havent run the 400 for several days, that right when i start it up it lets out a tiny puff of gray/black smoke...just a very small amount, u couldnt notice unless you were focusing on the exhaust. And it only lasts for like....less then 2 seconds probably

2004exrider
08-15-2005, 04:47 PM
time for new valve seals. when it sits for a long time the oil is dripping thru yours and into the cylinder.

Jimmy

08-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Gee could it be carbon/soot (sp) build up in the can blowing out as he starts up??

if it was valve it would be smoking all the time.

Pvt. Maggot
08-15-2005, 04:52 PM
^ Exactly, You'll notice when anything with a motor sits it will smoke a little on startup, its usually just carbon buildup and whatnot. Perfectly normal. :)

Warnerade
08-15-2005, 05:30 PM
ya..its just carbon, as long as its not white or blue...your valve seals are fine.

400exrules
08-15-2005, 06:45 PM
yah i was kinda worried it could be somethin, but, its such a small amount of smoke i dont see how it could be anything but normal. But thanks for the re-assurance:D

chucked
08-15-2005, 08:52 PM
its valve seals, dont worry about it until it gets very noticible. Its REALLY not worth all the work just to replace them if thats all the problem your having.

Warnerade
08-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by chucked
its valve seals, dont worry about it until it gets very noticible. Its REALLY not worth all the work just to replace them if thats all the problem your having. no its not...the smoke is black...if it was his valve seals, it'd be white/blue

chucked
08-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
no its not...the smoke is black...if it was his valve seals, it'd be white/blue

dunno

Warnerade
08-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by chucked
dunno i do, my valves went out on my ex...the smoke would be white/blue and last as long as it takes to warm the engine up to idle tempeture.

chucked
08-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
i do, my valves went out on my ex...the smoke would be white/blue and last as long as it takes to warm the engine up to idle tempeture.

I know, i just dont feel like explaining why I think its valve seals.

08-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Jesus christ, you all arguing over this??? its not his frikken valves, and you dotn want to explain it because you dont have a clue...

Cant believe the first thing people jump to is the valves (being 4 strokes are so reliable and all) ;)

Dude if you wanna listen to those 2 go right ahead and spend the money... It up to you.

chucked
08-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by DierWolf
Jesus christ, you all arguing over this??? its not his frikken valves, and you dotn want to explain it because you dont have a clue...

Cant believe the first thing people jump to is the valves (being 4 strokes are so reliable and all) ;)

Dude if you wanna listen to those 2 go right ahead and spend the money... It up to you.

DUDE, do you read? I said DONT worry about it until its noticible.

SGA
08-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Its usually valve guide seals if it lets blue smoke out when you let OFF the gas from a load. Its usually rings if it smokes blue giving it gas under a load.
A little puff of black when you first start it, dont worry about it.

A little puff of blue when you first start it, prob valve guide seals. Nothing to worry about. Worn valve guide seals (just a rubber seal on the valve stems to keep oil out of the combustion chamber) will not cause a engine to blow or anything, its mostly a nusance having to add oil or smoking up the hood, and when it gets bad, having to change fouled plugs.

Warnerade
08-16-2005, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by DierWolf

Dude if you wanna listen to those 2 go right ahead and spend the money... It up to you. i said it WASNT his valves....so there you go, jumping down both of our throats for absolutely nothing:ermm:

08-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Sorry, wasnt jumping down both of your throats only his.

Warnerade
08-16-2005, 01:23 PM
eh...no need to apologize...lord knows i instigate it enough to deserve it. It just seemed by saying "you all", you were referring to both.

08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
My quad does the same thing.. glad to hear its nothing major :)

SRH
08-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
What does it mean when every now and then on start up, if i havent run the 400 for several days, that right when i start it up it lets out a tiny puff of gray/black smoke...just a very small amount, u couldnt notice unless you were focusing on the exhaust. And it only lasts for like....less then 2 seconds probably

cant burn all the gas usually, either from choking it, pushing throttle too much etc, could be jetted a tad too rich, check the plug if it really bothers, you, i wouldnt worry