PDA

View Full Version : 400ex extra oil cooling (the valves/ head)?

Quadjunkie007
08-15-2005, 04:03 PM
I've herd that you can add an extra oil cooler and tap into you'r valve cover to cool the valves extra and still keeping the orginal one for you'r case oil. I seen it done years ago at the track but it's been to long and i am in need of some help or any info that can be thrown my way.:D

F-16Guy
08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=992040&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

L.Vegas400
08-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Did those posts answer your questions. there is no seperation of oil(same oil circulates through the whole engine). i am very happy with my added cooler. ive only had one problem... over time vibration has caused my outlet line on the case cover to come loose, since the fitting has to be pointed a certain direction and i couldnt tighten it anymore i had to have it welded into place. now it cant come loose. :macho i thought about doing it to the one on the head too but realized i have to take it out to get the head off so that is out of the question. the welding caused some of my power coating to discolor but you have to be within 6" to see it anyway.

is everyone else happy with theirs after some time and hard riding?

F-16Guy
08-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Mine's holding tight. It definitely made a big difference.

Quadjunkie007
08-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Yes thanks so much for the link. I tried to serch for it but came up with nothing and the serch engine dosent like 3 letter words like oil? :mad: Maby it's just me being a new user hell:devil: i just dont know.
I read a post not to thread the head hole all the way through juat about half other wise it will not tighten up all the way. I saw some one who used andozied 90 degree elbows that looked sweet along with steel braided lines and it was perty. now i just have to find the pieces except for the cooler i've got one from e bay a sweet find at that.

Ginxd00
08-17-2005, 05:54 PM
I got verything for mine except the fittings for the case and head from Summit Racing. I used hydraulic 90 degree elbows for 4an line. They are 7/16 thread but have a nut with a o-ring that seals it. Like L.Vegas400 I was going to go with the regular fitting then my engine builder told me about these. He also made a reducer for the head to keep the oil in the cooler a bit longer, It made sense seeing as how small the factory oil passage hole to the head is. I also used a rear end cooler from a Nascar stock car if you look in the pic its nice and small and acts like a heat sink if the fins become clogged. Heres a side view. If you want some closer pics I can get you some.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Ginxd00/DSC00006.jpg

spaz416
08-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Ginxd00, whats happening? anyway,i like your setup. if you wanna get some closer pics for us that would be grreeeat, mmkay?

L.Vegas400
08-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Ginxd00: the oil passage is small where it enters the aux oil line so it only get that much oil anyway. unless your experienced with a drill and tap have a machinest do it. i had buddy do mine and there is a pic on a message in those links that is tapped way too far into the passage, it actually goes past where it should

Ginxd00
08-18-2005, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
Ginxd00: the oil passage is small where it enters the aux oil line so it only get that much oil anyway. unless your experienced with a drill and tap have a machinest do it. i had buddy do mine and there is a pic on a message in those links that is tapped way too far into the passage, it actually goes past where it should

My machinest put the reducer inside of the an fitting. Drilled and tapped it then installed the reducer on the inside of the fitting. I will get some closer pics tonight when I get off work.

L.Vegas400
08-22-2005, 08:24 PM
what i was getting at is that before the oil ever enteres the aux oil line it is in a small passage so it only flows the equivilent to having the stock setup. the other was in reference to a picture in a past post.