PDA

View Full Version : Unuasal brake problem 400EX

katka400EX
08-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I have a weird problem with my brakes. I have replaced probably 8 brake pads in my life so I know how to do it. I was replacing the brakes on my 400EX and i replaced the front pair first then went to the back. I am using TUSK brake pads and when i intall them in the calipers then go to put in on the rotor in wont go. I have the piston pushed in all the way im positive that,and its not just by a little bit either there i need a good 16th of and inch or better. These pads seem thicker then normal. Because on the fronts i had to grind down a piece of the calipers do get them to fit.

AND the piston is pushed all the way down ......
is there something that im missing

theTman
08-15-2005, 02:03 PM
this happened when i got my EBCs...idk how we got em on..

cdalejef
08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Do you still have the parking brake assembly on?

balls2da-wall
08-16-2005, 12:10 AM
I had the same problem...i forced them on:p (dont recommend) And i swear i go through a set of rear brake pads once a month...is this just me?

duke416ex
08-16-2005, 08:50 AM
I had the problem on my front calipers, there is a little black rubber piece, pop it off. It is tiwards the front of the bike. Behind it is a shaft that is probably frozen up, you need an allen wrench to turn it, if it will turn at all. Loosen this all the way up and remove it. Clean it good with sandpaper and clean where it goes then lube the crap out of it and reinstall. It is the slide on the bakes and isn't allowing the opposite pad from the piston to get far enough away from the other pad. That is why the front is to tight.

On the rear, either you need to remove or adjust the parking brake, or if make sure the pads are both straight and a little tap should put them on.

Rico
08-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Take the master cylinder cover off and push the caliper in...:cool: I bet it will go in farther and the caliper with new pads fit easier.

400exrider707
08-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I had the same problem with my tusk pads on the back as well, and I dont have my parking brake on my quad either and I also had my master cylinder cap off, aittlnd it still wouldn't fit. I ended up grinding a little bit off the back side of the pad so it fit farther into the caliper. Worked like a charm.

wolfman901
08-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Do you still have the parking brake assembly on?

Yup.... that is usually the reason people have problems. You can't just take the parking brake adjustment bolt off... you need to take the 2 bolts off that hold on the parking brake assembly as well. Once that is off and the master cylinder cover is off... you can then use a c-clamp to push the piston to where it is completely flush. After that.... brake pads will fit nicely.

JDiablo
08-28-2005, 06:11 PM
I usually open up the top of the master cylinder,and i have a tool that i use that you turn it and it pushes the piston back into the caliper :devil: