PDA

View Full Version : Question about Imperial Sand Dunes

huffdaddy_400EX
08-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I am planning a trip to the Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis) later this year. This is the first time we have been there. I'll be driving a 37ft RV and towing a 3 quad trailer.
I understand there are campground (pads) off of Gecko Rd...is that correct? First come first serve?

Does anyone know what the environment is like in October? I was looking at middle week to weekend. It is busy?

Any help you can give be would be greatly appriciated.

400grl
08-15-2005, 02:07 PM
You should go Halloween weekend - there will be a ton of people out there - first big weekend of dune season!!! Weather is hot or warm in the day, and will start to cool off at night - should be really nice duning weather!! :)

Ex'r Marlin
08-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
You should go Halloween weekend - there will be a ton of people out there - first big weekend of dune season!!!

That is what I was told too.:D

There is a group of at least 14 going the middle of October to Glamis from Arizona... You are more than welcome to ride with us if you come that weekend.

Usually, we have a sand rail lead the way, with what is called a "train" of riders behind him... Very cool if you have never done it!:macho :)

Paddle tires work great out in the dunes, but I have seen riders with stock tires doing ok out there.

You maybe required to purchase a ticket/permit at that time, and you will need a flag mounted to your atv.

I hope you enjoy your first time to the Imperial Sand Dunes as much as I enjoyed my first time!

Warning: If you ride the sand dunes, most likely you will want to go there again!:D It is amazing!

(Former East Coast rider... Now in love with the Dunes!!!):blah:

calds650
08-19-2005, 05:34 AM
for info on the dunes check out the ASA (http://www.americansandassociation.org/index.html)

kustomfab2003
09-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Haloween weekend is the officail start of the season. If you are going to go in the beginning to middle of the week you should be ok getting a place. If you go all the way to the end of Gecko, to Roadrunner, very last turn around you can usually find a nice flat spot for a RV of that size. You can also find other good spots along the pads on the left hand side as you are heading into the dunes from Gecko RD.

Best of luct and let us know when you are heading out and maybe a few of us can link up and ride.

PS, don't forget your flag or paperwork for nonresident pass or you will be fined heavily!!!!

Josh