PDA

View Full Version : Question about Imperial Sand Dunes

huffdaddy_400EX
08-15-2005, 01:04 PM
I am planning a trip to the Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis) later this year. This is the first time we have been there. I'll be driving a 37ft RV and towing a 3 quad trailer.
I understand there are campground (pads) off of Gecko Rd...is that correct? First come first serve?

Does anyone know what the environment is like in October? I was looking at middle week to weekend. It is busy?

Any help you can give be would be greatly appriciated.

PerrySoCal
08-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Huffdaddy,

There are pads off of Gecko road. It gets real busy on the weekends. You should be ok arriving mid week.

You will need to stop at the Ranger Station on on Pad 1 to buy a camping permit.

You can also go down to the washes, some people prefer them.

Remember to pack out what you packed in.

Be sure to find out where the closures are and stay out of them.

PP

drider
08-15-2005, 08:57 PM
glamis.. what can i say. 7 miles wide. 40 miles long. Dunes dunes. make sure you know your surroundings.Get a G.P.S. (wouldnt go for night rides with one).. Ok. remember the train is parallel to the wash's 1 - 12.. so is u get lost..be safe. keep it safe. watch out for bushes. etc..

Crowdog
08-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Mid-week should be no problem for Gecko.

Glamis Camping Info (http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_isdra_glamis.htm)

Jackie
08-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Be friendly and find some one from there or has been there to show you around. I was very lucky to find our new friend Dave. Dave showed us how the ride those wicked dunes and where to go. Take a map and lots of water.
have fun
once you've been there nothing compares
ride safe
play safe
:cool:

OKTRX450R
08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Maybe I am not seeing it but are there not any sites with hookups? Water/Electric?

We also are heading out that way this fall and trying to figure out the best place to camp...we have a 5th wheel.

250r4life
08-16-2005, 04:56 PM
to be honest with you man, i have gone to buttercup, gordons well, and glamis.... and i do have to say that out of the 3, i by far prefer gordons well over glamis. hands down. if i was you i would go to gordons well. glamis is cool but there are just a bunch of idiots there, people screaming next to your rig at like 80mph. just a lot of idiots... buttercup is more family oriented but the riding isnt as good. gordons well is a nice mix, family oriented but better riding... lots of people but not tons of idiots... plenty of parking room... thats just my 2 cents..

R3Concepts
08-16-2005, 07:00 PM
As a 20 year duner of the ISDRA...I have been to them all..and the above comment hits it on the head. Gordons Well is the best spot to be. You can ride to Buttercup, Oligilby and Glamis all from Gordons Well, its much more central. You can ride and not have to worry about seeing many other people..Id defenetly recommend either GW or Olgilby if you have little ones, Glamis is not the place to be on a big weekend with the kids. BTW JMO, take it for whats its worth, 90% of the people the go to Glamis are there to hang out, posers, drinking. Cool, drink have fun, but like Perry said, these dunes were hear long before we were, so lets keep them open so more can enjoy them. In other words, dont go to Glamis and act like an idiot and start fires, and BS like you see in the movies..Not cool.

PerrySoCal
08-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by OKTRX450R
Maybe I am not seeing it but are there not any sites with hookups? Water/Electric?

We also are heading out that way this fall and trying to figure out the best place to camp...we have a 5th wheel.

No hookups at all. All boondocking.

There are a few pit toilets around.

OKTRX450R
08-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Can anyone tell me why an area this large with this many visitors would not have full hookups? Just does not make sense...where does the money for the camping permits go? Why do they not make improvements?

Plus, adding designated camping spots would clear up the mass confusion and 90mph Maverick and Goose tower runs by your tent/camper...

R3Concepts
08-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by OKTRX450R
Can anyone tell me why an area this large with this many visitors would not have full hookups? Just does not make sense...where does the money for the camping permits go? Why do they not make improvements?

Plus, adding designated camping spots would clear up the mass confusion and 90mph Maverick and Goose tower runs by your tent/camper...

10 times easier said then done...There are so many pending lawsuits that they are trying to fight against land people, and enviornmenttalists its not even funny..Remember this is camping, is suppose to be primitive..Its not going to be the Hilton, even though most go to the dunes at Glamis in land yahts.

OKTRX450R
08-18-2005, 05:05 PM
I am probably considered one of the land yacht folks...were is it written it is supposed to be primitive?

We have 3 kids 8, 6, and 8 months old and the camper is great for them...not to mention the security we have in the camper especially in today's world.

250r4life
08-18-2005, 05:11 PM
it doesnt have full hookups for many reasons... 1- most people go there in haulers and motor homes that dont that can survive for the few days they are going there... 2- i dont think you understand how many people go down on big weekends 3- everybody camps in groups in big circles with their campground in the middle... as far as the idiots screaming by at 90, thats just the retards, has nothing to do with organization... u dont get that at gordons well...

R3Concepts
08-18-2005, 05:23 PM
I mean primitive as in no hookups..bring the camper, more power to you..If there were hookups dont ya think youd have a problem with squatting? The BLM is just saving there butts and its one less hassle. When I say land yahts, I mean the people that come to the dunes in a Prevost, with a double decker trailer, that unloads 2 longtravel sandrails, 10 quads, and the wife and kids land in the middle of camp in a helicopter..Been there, saw that.

PerrySoCal
08-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Many people wish there were less amenities than there already are.

PP

Ex'r Marlin
08-18-2005, 07:18 PM
I just started "duning". My first trip was in the middle of July... Little too warm, but still had a great time at Buttercup. Not many riders that day.;)

There is a group ride to Gordons Well planned for September 24th... Which should still be on the light side of riders.

I too hear that once the season kicks off Halloween weekend, and especially from Thanksgiving through April, the Imperial Sand Dunes are unbelievable. A lot of eye candy, a lot of everything... Especially people.

Along with what R3concepts426ex said, many expensive diesel pushers show up with $100,000 plus sand rails, and heavy modified quads.

There is a site called www.glamisinfo.com that has some unbelievable sites... Site NOT recommend for those under 16!

I too am very excited about this season coming up... This will be my first season!:cool:

Good luck!

R3Concepts
08-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Where you ride at in AZ? We are in Tucson..Ride mostly MX and dunes.

Ex'r Marlin
08-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
Where you ride at in AZ? We are in Tucson..Ride mostly MX and dunes.

I will PM you.

Warning: Once you ride the Imperial Sand Dunes, you maybe hooked!:D

250r4life
08-19-2005, 12:57 AM
man, all this dune talk is getting me even more excited for dune season... like a little kid at Christmas... man, another 6 weeks... cant wait... looking into gettin me a duramax next week, and hopefully a camper here before dune season starts.. im over here in the east valley in mesa

tarabull
08-20-2005, 02:35 AM
Can you make any sort of reservations? And where? It will be our first time to Glamis not to the dunes. It should be about a 10 hr. drive for us.

250r4life
08-20-2005, 10:27 PM
reservations? for what? there is nothing to reserve, unless of course youre talking about a good parking spot, and that is first come first serve

tarabull
08-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Well I didn't think that I would need reservations of any sort but I was just checking. I figured it was 1st come 1st serve. As big as that tplace is. But you know what assume means! And I didn't want to drive that far and wish I would have done something different because its not just me its like me and 20 other people!
Besides Iam use to Pismo. Thanks For the info!