PDA

View Full Version : Idle problem after rebuild?

screaminta
08-15-2005, 10:01 AM
I just put a new pro-x piston in my '86 and when I went to go start it up for the break in everything was fine except that its idle was a little low. When I try to bring it up using the adjuster on the carb, it only goes up a little, just about where it was before the rebuild. It will not go any higher even with the adjuster all the way up. Other than that shes running great except for that knocking sound that I though was piston slap..oh well. Any ideas about this idle problem? Thanks

wilkin250r
08-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Have you verified the jetting? I don't want to repeat the same old, tired story of my idle problems, but in effect it was a jetting issue, even though it "ran just fine before"...

Go through the motions and verify it, don't just trust your previous setup.

screaminta
08-15-2005, 11:05 AM
I have not changed the jetting in the least bit since before the rebuild. It was running rich before the build so I know that may be an issue. I think Im just going to break it in as it lies and then fool with it as I am pretty sure that it is running rich. I also heard that when it is overly rich that the idle screw wont do much, but for the break in I am am not going to touch it. Also I doubt that I have any leaks because while it was idling I sprayed starting fluid all over the gasket areas and there was no change in idle so I guess thats a good thing. Any other comments?

2StrokeFreak
08-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Go through the motions and verify it, don't just trust your previous setup. [/B]

Solid advise. Just cause it was rich then dont mean nuttin.
Ignorance is expensive!
How much compression does your motor have since the rebuild?
180+ psi. needs race gas.