PDA

View Full Version : Counter-Shaft Sprocket....What should I do..?

Pepto_Bismol
06-05-2002, 01:56 PM
I want to eek a bit more torque from my EX at the MX track, so I'm thinking about dropping the CS from 15 to 14 tooth. Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so, what did you find that works best for you(what kind of riding). What adjustmenst need to be done to the chain, or should I buy a new one. One last thing, besides weight, can you tell me which material is better, steel or aluminum and why. Thanks ...
Pepto :cool:

06-05-2002, 02:01 PM
Well I hated it..:( If your running 18 inch tires in the back don't do it..you just turned your 5 speed into a 4 speed,,you loose 1st gear when you do this,,with 18 inch tires. You can also drop teeth on the back as well as the front to equal it out. I've found stock gearing and a 15/36 to work best on MX tracks..

Teufel
06-05-2002, 03:15 PM
I run both set ups. I run the 14 when using 22" rears and the 15 with 20".. I run XC and also race the 250 R so I have a little trouble adapting to the 4stk power.

nakomis0
06-05-2002, 03:22 PM
I don't know about the MX track. But with stock 20" tires I liked it alot, gives ya a nice holeshot. If you regularly top of 5th gear than don't do it, but if you have some top end to spare give it a try.

For $14 bucks and less than 20min time to change it. It prolly be worth it to check it out.

And I would just go with steel. Its cheaper and won't wear out as fast.

Pepto_Bismol
06-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Makes sense, how about chain adjuments when you all experimented with your sprockets? BTW, I run 20" tires. Hey rico, Isn't the stock gearing 15/38 ? So if I drop the rear (15/36), doesn't this stretch out the top end? Here's what I want to do. There is not much room on our new track to get wide open 4th, let alone 5th, but I need some extra speed coming out of 180 degree turns in order to hit these doubles to clear them. I barely clear them now, and was thinking a quick solution (and LOW cost) to get me up to speed in time would be to adjust the front CS...if I'm barking up the wrong tree, please help me out! Thanks

Pepto:cool:

Leo
06-05-2002, 07:50 PM
You should be able to get a cheapo for under $10.. If I was you I'd just get one and give it a try..

I run both, depending on where I'm riding that day.. The real tight stuff I go with the 14, lots of wide open 4th-5th gear riding I stick with the 15..

Leo

06-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Hey Pepto have you got any motor work done?????

06-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Hey Pepto have you got any motor work done????? It almost sounds like ya need some more power..:confused:

Pepto_Bismol
06-06-2002, 09:27 AM
No, I don't have any motor mods yet. I just have the usual bolt on stuff (pipe, jet kit, ect). I'm trying to get all my suspension work done first, and now I am in at a loss for extra cash (have none) that is why I was looking into the Counter Shaft for the interim. Like I said, I am clearing the lips of the second jump in the double section, but just barely. I cased the top of one. I just need that wee little bit to give me that extra oomph at the take-off of the double. I did however, notice that my slip on had become loose at the sleeve, so I may have lost a tad of HP there. But I still want to investigate the CS.

Leo, did you have to make any major adjustmentst to your chain when you put on the 14th in place of the 15th ?
Thanks guys...keep it coming.

06-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Pepto_Bismol

Leo, did you have to make any major adjustmentst to your chain when you put on the 14th in place of the 15th ?
Thanks guys...keep it coming.

I can answer this,,,you just have to tighten it up,,you won't have to take any links out or anything,,,droping a tooth up front will get the job done for you,,,no doubt,,but the thing I hated was I always had to be a gear higher than normal and it was hard to get used to...