PDA

View Full Version : Best big bore engine package

Chevy454
08-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Looks like my little bro munched the better part of his 250R's engine...we were originally looking at rebuilding it, but I think every piece is ruined...a thrust washer came off and raised cane inside, as well as 2 stuck rings, and lots of other issues. So, we're *seriously* considering a complete cylinder/head/rotating assembly. What would you guys recommend? We found an ESR 350 package that looks promising, but I found some posts by folks that have mixed reactions about the ESR porting jobs, but I also found some posts where folks loved their ESR engines.

My bro is gonna be riding in ATV rodeos and maybe a little bit of motocross...he's got a KILLER rolling chassis to put this new bullet into...if it were you, which complete engine package would YOU buy? Also, pump or race gas (and why)??

Thanks in advance!

TheFontMaster
08-14-2005, 07:33 PM
When I get the money for a big bore kit for my 250r, I am going to go with I think it's the lrd bill ballance 265 powervalve. I have heard that those motors put out as much power as a esr 310. The 350 that you are looking at would be an awsome choice too. But any esr big bore kit thats 330 or bigger will need to have the cases machined.

hollywood250r
08-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Go with a Macdizzy big bore from http://www.macdizzy.com

Tom TRX250R
08-14-2005, 09:44 PM
If it were me I would go with the ESR 330 bolt on kit which requires no case machining. Depending on how much money he wants to spend but a powervalve is an excellent investment and gives you a smoother powerband and more low end grunt. For a non powervalve it is still a good buy at $1000. Your brother would be pleasantly surprised at the power increase.

hollywood250r
08-15-2005, 06:55 AM
ESR uses pro-X cylinders! You will get more for you buck going to a good builder and staying away from the generic port jobs!

Hoppedrap
08-15-2005, 10:15 AM
ESR' s porting is not generic! It may not be the best porting for all out power but they build good solid engines. Rick is not GOD If you want the strongest TRX motor, contact Dennis Packard.

wilkin250r
08-15-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm dying to try a Sabertooth. I wonder what porting/pipe options they have, if I can get a good overall powerband rather then strictly drag-racing...

hollywood250r
08-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Hoppedrap
ESR' s porting is not generic! It may not be the best porting for all out power but they build good solid engines. Rick is not GOD If you want the strongest TRX motor, contact Dennis Packard.

ESR's porting is a generic porting! They have certain porting packages they sell! If they ported specific to your stroke and pipe then it would not be generic. I did not say they didn't sell good reliable packages! Where is this "Rick is not GOD" stuff coming from! I did not say he was! I mentioned that he does good work. In my last post I said go to a good motor builder. I did not bring attention to any one person!

Hoppedrap
08-15-2005, 11:50 AM
When you say generic it sounds as if they have no idea what there doing. Most big companies have stage porting ie Stage 1, 2,3. Last time a checked they do make there own pipes (shearer does the work to there specs). They do port differently for stroked motors. The god thing is from everytime, some one asks about motor work you bring up macdizzy ,and you are refering to rick. I am a member there as well

On a side note lets not turn this into a pissing match, If your looking for a solid motor I would go ESR or Duncan best customer service I've had. If your looking for a drag motor work with a builder K&T, Dave Moore, Packard as well as many others

side not two do you ever get over to Clinton, Maryland, use to live a small drive

300ex73
08-15-2005, 01:40 PM
A friend of mine bought the LRD Jeremiah Jones 265 motor kit. He loves it, but hardly ever rides it. Has way too much power for what he built the quad for. To be honest, I think he's a little uncomfortable with as much power as it has. But it's definitely a good motor package.

deathman53
08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
I have a lrd 310 pv in my atc250r with all the rest of the good stuff, it makes so much power, the bike tries to throw you clear off of it. It makes more power than the esr 330 I had before, but at almost $1000 more it better kill the fairly generic porting esr does(lrd ports far far better)

TheFontMaster
08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by 300ex73
A friend of mine bought the LRD Jeremiah Jones 265 motor kit.

Thats the one I was thinking of, not Bill Ballance.

cdrookie
08-15-2005, 03:49 PM
my LRD 330 long rod non P/V scoots pretty good

QuadRacer041
08-15-2005, 04:03 PM
i just bought a la sleeve 310 kit, its at la sleeve getting a bore job and piston kit.cant wait to get it back

stever250r
08-15-2005, 07:01 PM
I cant find a 250r big bore cylinder kit for the 250r at LRD website.

Can someone post a link???

Everyone has their opinion but my question is who makes the most bang for the buck. I know you get what you pay for but how do others compare..

For instance... ESR 310 non PV complet cylinder kit...$949.00

What are the competitors prices for roughly the same thing.???

Can someone post other kits and prices.. or provide links???

TRX370R
08-15-2005, 07:30 PM
I am running a ESR non-powervalve 370 with their TRX11 Hill Racer Extreme porting, ESR 40.5mm carb, ESR TRX 5 Centermount Pipe, and ESR reedcage. I have been very happy with their products and their service. I am out at the Pismo dunes pretty much every weekend and in a drag race there isn't alot of other bikes out there that can hang with my 370. I'm not saying I beat everything that I race, there will always be someone faster, but it holds it's ground pretty good. It has been a very reliable motor too so far I have only had to put race gas in it and change the oil every few rides. As far as race gas or pump gas I have always ran the race gas dome in my head (ESR kit comes with your choice of 2 domes). I would like to try the pump gas dome someday just to see how much of a power decrease there is but as of right now around here it's only a extra $1.00 a gallon to get trick 110 over pump 91.

honda350r
08-15-2005, 07:41 PM
The best bang for the buck is ESR !! Those guys always come through with a soild product !

hollywood250r
08-16-2005, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Hoppedrap
When you say generic it sounds as if they have no idea what there doing. Most big companies have stage porting ie Stage 1, 2,3. Last time a checked they do make there own pipes (shearer does the work to there specs). They do port differently for stroked motors. The god thing is from everytime, some one asks about motor work you bring up macdizzy ,and you are refering to rick. I am a member there as well

On a side note lets not turn this into a pissing match, If your looking for a solid motor I would go ESR or Duncan best customer service I've had. If your looking for a drag motor work with a builder K&T, Dave Moore, Packard as well as many others

side not two do you ever get over to Clinton, Maryland, use to live a small drive

I understand what you are saying. I am not a big fan of a lot of the big guys! I feel for the same money you can get more performance from a good builder when it comes to the port work and engine tayloring! I think you misunderstand my references sometimes. I refer a lot of people to Macdizzy for the infomation in the forums. There is a ton of it. If people ask about a good engine builder I will refer them to C-Leigh Racing or Macdizzy! That does not make them anymore of a god then your reference to Packard. I did not take that as you making him out to be a engine god. Just he does good work and you are recommending him! I did not brag about Rick's work at all! I will brag about Neil's (C-Leigh Racing) work is someone ask me! You get the best customer service out of the small good motor builder! That is my experience. They will call you to ask you questions about your desires while the work is in progress. Keep you informed. That is my experience with the small good engine builders. I never get over to Clinton. Is there some good legal riding areas over there? I am in a search for good legal riding areas in Maryland.

beerock
08-17-2005, 09:23 PM
regardless of who you go to for a port job. the 330 is probably the best size motor for the R. even with the CAST port job it will tear worked 450's apart.
a 310 with a good port job will tear apart a worked 450 as well. but IMAGINE if you port a 330? BYE BYE worked 450's

if you go with a 330, the best kit to get is the one where you have to machine your cases. WHY? because you get two more bores to work with before you have to resleeve it.

my buddy had a jermiah jones 265 pv replica from LRD and it ripped, I raced hm against my 330 which is not ported yet and it was no contest, the 330 ate it up. with the CAST port job.

my set up right now is:

330 cast port job
pwk 39mm
curtis sparks TT pipe
k&n filter
Radvalve cr250 reed cage
vp c12
br8es ngk

i will be porting this motor when its time to resleeve it.
and i have a stock cylinder ported by B+B stroker motor in the works.