View Full Version : NASCAR Points Championship

trick250r
08-14-2005, 06:53 PM
who do you think is gonna be the points champ. Im thinkin its either gonna be tony stweart, greg biffle, or mark martin.

BTW, what do you guys think aboutkurt bush leaving roush, and where do you think michael waltrip is gonna go?

redlineranger
08-14-2005, 07:59 PM
i think the "chase for the cup" blows

kurt busch will prolly miss roush when he leaves, no one knows where mikey will go, and tony stewart will blow it at the end i believe(remember he's racin hard for nothin cus he loses all those points in 3 more races:rolleyes: ) anyways im sick of seein him when.. i give him credit tho he's on a roll, but i wouldnt even be racin hard if i knew i had to start all over in the final 10 races

DeerNuts
08-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
. i give him credit tho he's on a roll, but i wouldnt even be racin hard if i knew i had to start all over in the final 10 races

I would be. Think about, keep up momentum, keep at it. I think that Stewart 's team figured out a better suspension set up than the other's and are now kicking some serious ***. Right now, it is not hard for Stewart to be winning. Plus, he is definately among the top 3 drivers in talent, that isnt really debatable. The man has talent.
He has something going for him, right now, that the other teams dont, and he is kicking major ***. Well see how he does in the chase.

redlineranger
08-14-2005, 08:13 PM
yea but wouldnt it piss u off if u won 5 out of the last 7 races with a good point margin only to lose all of those points..... and then theres the chance that u could wrecked and all that..... im thinking theoreticlly(sp?).... i mean it would suck tho

96lapis coupe
08-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Hopefully "the Hair" (Mikey) can't find a ride next year, or maybe he'll accidentally run his mentally challenged brother over with the dream machine so I never have to listen to either one again.

redlineranger
08-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 96lapis coupe
Hopefully "the Hair" (Mikey) can't find a ride next year, or maybe he'll accidentally run his mentally challenged brother over with the dream machine so I never have to listen to either one again.

was there any sense in that?:confused: ... mikey and darrel are 2 really good racers.... go smoke another 1

nowukno
08-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
i give him credit tho he's on a roll, but i wouldnt even be racin hard if i knew i had to start all over in the final 10 races

Why not , you think the drivers don't like to win more money and they have to try and keep the sponsers and owners happy. I just couldn't imagine Tony Stewart driving around the track and saying to his crew chief ...... "I have the fastest car on the track but im going to slow down since the points don't really matter anyway". It's not just about points , every driver wants to win every race and the fans pay good money to see these guys race hard , not take it easy and oh yeah , i forgot about that whole momentum thing , i guess that dosen't mean anything either.
:rolleyes:

redlineranger
08-14-2005, 08:36 PM
alright let me make my point clearer.... im not sayin i would roll over and just let every body pass me or anything like that..... but if i wus tony stewart i would keep steam rolling.... i meant to talk about people that are with in the verge of falling out of the top ten, or tryin to get in the top ten... i mean it would really suck knowin u were 11th in the points and dominating the whole final 10 races but u couldnt be contending for the championship.... i should've just posted before that i think the points system blows cus that what i wus really getting at, i just carried on bout the tony stewart part

trick250r
08-14-2005, 09:32 PM
yeah, i dont really think the new points system is any better. They're just taking all the actual "racing" out of it and making it all pollitical, for example the restrictor plates. All they would have to do is put a rev limiter on at the super speedways so they dont go as fast, they would still have all of their power. Thats why Bill Elliot retired and went back to dirt cars, its has too much to do with politics now.

gncc025
08-14-2005, 10:03 PM
i hope tony stewart wins the points but i think this is biffles year. kurt busch i think is going to miss racing for roush and i think m.waltrip is just gonna go down hill MORE after this year, not that i have anything against him.

trick250r
08-15-2005, 07:47 AM
yeah, waltrip is just gonna end up like k. petty, he's just gonna be there not doing anything

Guy400
08-15-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm not completely sold on the new "Chase" format. It rewards the guy who has the best last 10 races. Any points system where a guy could win 15 of the first 25 races but then lose it because he's slightly off in the last 10 isn't quite fair. Granted, the driver's don't lose all their points at the start of the Chase. The leader still goes in with a 50 point gap but it still doesn't seem quite fair. I think they need to do something to reward wins during the first 2/3's of the season. Maybe give a driver 10 points per win during the normal season and apply this to his points at the start of the Chase. That way, if a guy wins 5 races at the beginning of the season but falters a little in the summer or has a DNF he could have 50 points applied at the beginning of the Chase. The Chase no longer gives consistency any merit. Look at Labonte in 1996. He only won 2-3 races but was consisitently in the Top 5 whereas Jeff Gordon won 10-11 and finished a close second because he lacked the consistent good runs.

Oh, and Waltrip's an idiot for leaving DEI. Kurt Busch saw the handwriting on the wall at Roush and got out of there. Martin's leaving, McMurray's not a champion and Kenseth is PO'd and is threatening to leave. I don't like Kurt Busch one bit but he is a good driver and he and Newman will be a good team.

trick250r
08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
ya but roush must see something in mcmurray if he talked martin into staying another year

Bush0102
08-15-2005, 02:13 PM
OK i didnt read through all the posts but i'm gonna respond anyway.

1. Waltrip is an idiot for leaving DEI, but i can't blame him. Teams these days would rather have a young, marketable face than a proven veteran. It's sad but true. Waltrip will probably wind up like Ward Burton and will have trouble finding a ride for 2006. Earnheart has said he wants to be the senior driver at DEI and they have publicized their list of qualifications for Michael's replacement- my bet is that it will be Matt Kenseth, who just happens to be very close personal friends with Dale Jr. and Martin Truex Jr.

2. Stewart will probably win the championship. He and his team know how to win on all types of tracks and they have everything dialed in. I'm a huge JJ fan but he needs to get his consistancy back and he choked last year going into the chase. Biffle is slacking off and turmoil at Rausch is going to affect him. However, Mayfield, Wallace, and Martin are quietly racking up points.

3. Busch leaving Rausch probably wasn't the best idea. However, he did and Mike Waltrip better pray he gets out in 2006 because that may be the only opening available to him for next year- if Jack Rausch would be willing to hire him.

4. I like the chase system but i think there are a few parts that need to be reworked. I personally think the entire field should be included in the chase but the top 10 going in get some kind of bonus.

5. I'm hungry so i'm gonna go make a hot pocket.

Giz400ex
08-15-2005, 06:29 PM
I say KB is going DEI!

redlineranger
08-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
I say KB is going DEI!

i hope not... hes a very good driver but i just dont like him.. i know for sure truex will be there, i want to say jamie mcmurray will blow off that roush deal and go DEI... mikey is still stupid though for leavin, it wus his choice all he had to do wus sign the papers by a certain date and he just blew it off, but he'll prolly be down the sh*tter next year(or he might get a good team and win the cup u never know now days)... anyways dale jr aint worth a crap right now... if the car aint perfect he cant drive it.. his dad though could take a pile of crap and drive it better than any of them... so ive given up on jr. this year im pullin for Martin or Stewart

BlasterRacer26
08-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Id like to see kenseth go to the 15 and in 2007 DEI start a fourth team for paul menard. That would be an awsome team..dale jr, truex, kenseth, and menard. As for Dale jr. in a slump, it just goes to show how much its a team effort now than just driver.

As for Kurt Busch going to the #2, I would rather have seen McMurray in the #2 then Busch, he can drive but I just cant stand him. Its kind of weird how dominate Rousch was at the beginning of the season and now it seems as if they are falling apart. Marting is SUPPOSE to retire at the end of this year, Busch wants out, Kenseth isnt happy and is rumored to be leaving. Who knows whats going to happen.

trick250r
08-15-2005, 07:23 PM
I think Jr just cant tell his crew what's wrong with his car during a race. I seem to think that when his contract is up at DEI, he'll go to Childress.

Did kenseth say anything about leaving?

BlasterRacer26
08-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by trick250r
I think Jr just cant tell his crew what's wrong with his car during a race. I seem to think that when his contract is up at DEI, he'll go to Childress.

Did kenseth say anything about leaving?
Nope thats why I said he is rumored to be leaving (jayski.com). He has stated he isnt happy with no one asking him about McMurry joining the team.

Guy400
08-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Here's where Mikey's gonna be next year.
http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/cup/08/16/taikman_ti/index.html

Giz400ex
08-16-2005, 03:47 PM
He signed with Penske to replace the possible retirement of Martin.

Guy400
08-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
He signed with Penske to replace the possible retirement of Martin. Martin drives for Roush :confused:

Quadman250R
08-16-2005, 08:18 PM
1. The chase is decent, maybe a little tweaking but the idea is good. it makes two seasons out of one kinda. you have to be good and consistent to stay within 400 points or the top ten and then when the chase gets here they have to be on the game to win it....still the same concept, different attitude.

2. Kurt busch is a good driver that got a bad rap because of jimmy spencer.

3. Micheal waltrip might do his own deal or something who knows.

4. Dale Jr. is not a good communicater mainly, i have listened to him on the scanner and all he does is whine about the car....ALOT.

5. Something rousch is doing is ticking guys off because there was rumers that greg biffle, kenseth and kurt B. were mad. well we can see busch was.

6. I think nascar needs to fix alot of things, all they care about is the size of their wallet and not of the happiness of the fans. im almost sick of watching races cause of all the commericials. and nascar keeps changing rules and regulating about everything on the dang cars, its not STOCK car racing anymore. its all about how much money you got. back when a good driver was more important. now its all about the car and alot less about the driver. whew...got kind of carried away

Giz400ex
08-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Martin drives for Roush :confused: sorry:eek: