PDA

View Full Version : shipping a motor

fasterz
08-14-2005, 01:41 PM
how should i go about packaging my motor to ship it? its a z400 motor. do i need to make a small wooded crate and cover it with card board or what should i do thanks

Pappy
08-14-2005, 01:48 PM
go get a $5 plastic tub and lid from walmart. line the bottom with newspaper and then some thick foam. suround the engine with thick foam and the top also. install the lid and tape it like a mad man.

the biggest thing with an engine is making sure 110% that NO fluids will leak out. i had an engine held by UPS for 3 weeks because it leaked oil and they freaked out.

NacsMXer
08-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Go to Wal-Mart and pick up a large enough Rubbermaid container for your motor. Fill it with whatever you can find to protect your (cardboard, bubblewrap, etc). Then drill a bunch of holes through the lid where it attaches to the container and zip tie it shut. Presto! ready to ship and much lighter than a hand-fabricated crate, no risk of fluid leakage either ;)

Pappy
08-14-2005, 01:50 PM
the zip tie trick is killer. i havent had any issues, but it sounds like a better fix to securing the lid!

NacsMXer
08-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Beat me to it Pappy :p !

08-14-2005, 02:31 PM
yea the rubbermaid deal is the way to go, its cheap, and its strong enough to get the motor from point a to point be effectivly

steveatv3
08-14-2005, 03:16 PM
i used a monitor box and used the thick foam and then filled it with what ever i could find, news paper , foam ect.. and just taped the living **** out of it!

fasterz
08-14-2005, 05:29 PM
thanks for the tips guys i really had no idea of what i should do. Im so happy that motor finally sold becuase now my 450r is paid off and i can finish the LTZ85 this week. wait till you guys see it. If all my parts are here on time were bringing it to rausch creek. The motor is freaking insane!

armoks
08-14-2005, 07:11 PM
I use a cooler made by Igloo called the ice cube. motor fits perfect in it and its well protected. You can pick them up at ya'all mart.

Woodsrider
08-14-2005, 08:43 PM
We just shipped a XR400 motor in a rubbermaid tub. We wrapped the motor in a heavy garbage bag and set in the tub on two blocks, and proceeded to fill the tub with expansion foam. stop just before you get to the top of the tub and ziptie the lid on.

DESDAK4
08-24-2005, 09:46 AM
What companies are you guys using to ship the motors and what kind of prices? Do any of you think this tub idea could work for say a KFX-700 motor? I am going to need to ship my motor of to be built so I am looking at the different options.

Jay

Woodsrider
08-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Sure it will work for a KFX. Just get a rough measurement of the WxHxD of the motor and go buy a tub to fit a Wal-Mart. Prices vary by shipping co, and have probably gone up since I shipped, but I paid $40 to ship it cross country insured.