PDA

View Full Version : Bearing / Carrier help

Robin Hood
08-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Anyone know the exact way on how to take the carrier out of the housing on the swingarm? I have the axle out but the carrier doesn't seem to be coming out of the housing. I tried tapping on each side of the carrier but it seems lodged in the housing. Is there any specific way to take it out? I know they are suppose to slide out on each side, but do I have to turn the carrier or is there like a key way to let it out? Thanks in advance.

hskers82
08-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Not trying to be a smart *** but did you take the 2 bolts out?It may just need a little help coming out.Try spraying it down(inside and out) with WD40 or some other type of penetrating oil.

Robin Hood
08-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Yea, I took all the bolts out, the two long ones on the side and the two up top that adjust the chain tension. I'll see if I have any WD 40 around, but what about heating the housing? Would that expand the housing to let the carrier come out smoother? Thanks.

hskers82
08-14-2005, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't put heat to it since the swingarm is aluminum I am not sure what if any damage could happen.I would do the penetrating oil idea and use the heat as a last resort.The actual carrier that holds the bearings is oblong shaped and is flat on the top and bottom.It might be in a little bind so try tapping it front to back(I would use a rubber mallet) and see if that frees it up.

660WickedRappy
08-14-2005, 06:36 PM
yea bearing carriers usually do get stuck....just use some wd40 and beat on it with a rubber hammer thing

Robin Hood
08-14-2005, 08:15 PM
K, Ill try that tomorrow morning, Its just pissing me off, Im ordering the bearings, but I cant even get the carrier out to look at them. I want to see if I need a new carrier or if anythings scarred up in there. Thanks for the info.

jak1389
08-15-2005, 05:44 PM
hey guys that thing is on there good! we tried taking it off today with no luck. we sprayed a crap load of a degreeser everywhere. is there like some type of a lock that we can turn to seperate it. or whats the best way to get it unstuck. thanks

Robin Hood
08-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Just puttin more info in, just like Jak said, we unloaded like 1/2 a can of GUNK (degreaser) In the housing/carrier, It moves freely up and down just as if you were tightening a chain, I was bangin on it with a hammer and it seems like it wants to go, but Its like locked on something, The rappy's an 01 if it makes any difference, and the friggen service manual which I pay 60$ for doesnt explain shizz....

Its got SOME play side to side, not much, like 1/8 of an inch, if anyone knows the secret to this thing please post, Im about ready to order a swingarm and carrier cause of this thing!

Thanks..

hskers82
08-15-2005, 08:05 PM
See if you can see any gap on the inside of the carrier.You might be able to get a wooden dowel in the gap(ie if the gap is on the sprocket side put the dowel in from the rotor side and hit it with a hammer).Alternate where you hit it.Start at the top,then hit at the bottom,then each side and just alternate until it comes off.It will come off with a little time and patience.When you get it off take some fine grit sand paper to the surfaces that "press" together on the carrier and when you put it back together put some grease on those same surfaces.The grease will work good to keep most of the water out and from siezing-up again.A flat punch will work if you don't have a dowel just be sure you don't pound the h**l out of it in one place