PDA

View Full Version : Question on 250r wire harness?

rh250r
08-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Question:
Are the wire harnesses on all years the same?
I have an 86 which needs a new harness and the 86 is no longer available.

The Problem I'm having is that the bike runs good when I start riding after sitting for about a week. Runs for a good five to ten minutes the shuts off and will not start, when I try to start the bike back fires. I already replaced the Stator with a brand new one thinking this was the problem. Thinking of replacing the wire harness now to see if this fixes the problem.
Has anyone had a similar problem?

Dave83
08-13-2005, 08:05 PM
A harness of the 87 or 88 will plug up directly,89 will work but 2 stator terminals have to be changed.If your using the key switch,youll have to patch it in on the 87-89 harness

Jester
08-14-2005, 06:16 AM
I just got an R 3 weeks ago, was worried about the same thing seeing that there were splices everywhere.

So I ripped it out, and made a new harness using the old one for a basis, but got rid of some BS stuff. IE, the lights are on all the time, I have my kill teather for the kill button, no key. really simple!

rh250r
08-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the help.
I will only be using a kill switch, no head light or tail lights, so the 87 - 88 should be a direct pulg in.

slick250
08-16-2005, 08:17 PM
I believe you will have to put an 88 style CDI box on. I think the plug ins are different than 86

xlr810
08-16-2005, 09:25 PM
All years have same plug for CDI.

slick250
08-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Wrong!... I just went and checked. My 86 has a big round plug, and my 88 has 2 smaller plugs. Not the same...

slick250
08-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Cal-ATV lists a wiring harness for 86-87, and a different one for 88-89. I am sure one of the differences is the CDI pigtail.

rh250r
08-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by slick250
Wrong!... I just went and checked. My 86 has a big round plug, and my 88 has 2 smaller plugs. Not the same...

The ones I have seen with the round plugs are the 85-86 atc's. My 86 trx has the same style plugs as the 88 - 89 (two smaller plugs).
I just ordered the wire harness for an 88 cause the 86 and 87 are no longer available. I will post the results once I get it.

xlr810
08-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Guess I should have specified TRX...

I have made swaps between all years TRX harness and TRX CDIs.

There are different part numbers for the different years, and 88-89 has an arguably better advance spark curve.

rh250r
08-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Got the 88 wire harness and it works just fine.

wilkin250r
08-31-2005, 12:54 PM
By "works just fine" do you mean that the wire harness plugs in perfectly, or that the wire harness fixed the problem?

rh250r
08-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
By "works just fine" do you mean that the wire harness plugs in perfectly, or that the wire harness fixed the problem?
It plugs in perfectly and looks like it fixed the problem I will know more after this weekend.

honda350r
08-31-2005, 08:19 PM
I just puged in a brand new 88 harness into a 86 chassis and it is a direct plug in in !

ALL TRX250Rs HAVE THE SAME CDI PLUGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rh250r
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Still having the same problem:
Bike runs great for about 30 mins or so then it shuts off. I took the spark plug cap off to check for spark and bike will spark once for about every 10-12 kicks. I also removed kill switch and checed all connections and ground all were fine.
Tested spark again the following day and the bike has spark with every kick.
Already replaced stator & wire harness (both brand new) and CDI (used off a running bike).
The only thing I have not replaced is the coil, I'm going to have to order one this week.
Has any one had this problem or know what the symptoms are for a bad coil or cdi box? I don't know what else to try.

xlr810
09-06-2005, 12:31 PM
I've had the coil wire come loose, either between the wire and plug cap or the wire and the coil. Usually can't tell from looking at it, but it will run funny, and act like the jetting is way off. Best way I've found to check is to measure the resistance between the plug cap and each the green lead and the black one. If I remember correctly it should be between 7-13k ohm. The factory service manual explains the procedure pretty well. If the coil itself is bad the measurement between the green and black will be off-- I definitely don't remember what resistance that is supposed to be, offhand.

The stator is the only one that is to be tested "warm", so not sure what the time issue involves... You didn't go through a big water crossing after 30 min, did you?

Good luck. If you do need a new coil, why not upgrade to a Janssen super coil or something instead of another stocker? Your new stator should be able to handle it.

rh250r
09-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by xlr810
I've had the coil wire come loose, either between the wire and plug cap or the wire and the coil. Usually can't tell from looking at it, but it will run funny, and act like the jetting is way off. Best way I've found to check is to measure the resistance between the plug cap and each the green lead and the black one. If I remember correctly it should be between 7-13k ohm. The factory service manual explains the procedure pretty well. If the coil itself is bad the measurement between the green and black will be off-- I definitely don't remember what resistance that is supposed to be, offhand.

The stator is the only one that is to be tested "warm", so not sure what the time issue involves... You didn't go through a big water crossing after 30 min, did you?

Good luck. If you do need a new coil, why not upgrade to a Janssen super coil or something instead of another stocker? Your new stator should be able to handle it.

Thanks for the info.
No I did not go through any water. Its weard because the bike runs great till that point.

jamiesel
09-10-2005, 09:59 PM
I am having a similar issue and have tried replacing everything. What year is the stator from? I took a stator from an 85 atc and put it into a 88 trx that is the only thing not from a 88 trx and everthing has been changed in the elec system.

rh250r
09-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jamiesel
I am having a similar issue and have tried replacing everything. What year is the stator from? I took a stator from an 85 atc and put it into a 88 trx that is the only thing not from a 88 trx and everthing has been changed in the elec system.
The stator I have is for an 86 trx, bought it new from ricky stator. I was finaly able to fix the problem, the problem I had was with the cdi box, I swaped them and rode all day yesterday and the bike ran great with no problems.
The parts you replaced are they new or used?
The problem I think I had was with a short in the wire harness which in turn damaged two cdi boxes. I would check your wire harness if its not new, I took mine apart and found that some of the wires were britle and not making good contact.
I ordered a new wire harness from servicehonda.com.

rh250r
09-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by xlr810

Have you tried the Janssen super coil, what are the benefits over stock?

xlr810
09-12-2005, 06:59 AM
The Janssen coil produces a hotter spark.

I have had pretty good luck with it.

Prior to getting a new stator, I was replacing the spark plug at least a few times per day. (yes, the jetting was correct-- my spark was very weak) Fouling the plugs was slowed considerably when I got the Janssen coil installed.

Now that I have the new stator AND the super coil, I haven't fouled any plugs-- even when the jetting was FAT while breaking in a cylinder.

Basically, if you are happy with your spark output and your existing coil is within specs-- I'd leave well enough alone. However, if you were going to replace the coil anyways-- that would be a good time to upgrade.