PDA

View Full Version : Home from the dunes/now question!

450RgETiRdONE
08-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Just got back late last night, freakin parking lots were packed but no one was riding. (probe rebuilding their broken down pieces) Its was awesome... The bowls were great of cousre and the beach was nice! But were the edge of the sand goes off down into the steep trails in the trees. I have one question i was able to make it up all of them on my trx450r, but my bike is bone stock and has a 13tooth on it. Okay no airfilter not rejetted and the airbox lid is still on. I got stuck on this one trail apparently its the steepest there! And the sand just falls back due to it was so dry and loose that i got stuck hit n 2nd. i could only do it in first. but im also 240lb dude and that bike weighs 350 too.. that a lot weight going up the hill............how ever i could only do it in first. but all of the other trails i hit 2nd and screamed up them...

i think its because you wrap around this tree and it goes straigt up. hard to get speed up.. dunno what you all think??

The guy at my local honda shop said "if you are going to install an after market air filter and you dont buy a new muffler than leave the air box lid on and dont rejet!"

Okay that seem right or this dude trying to sell me exaust for 500 bucks just so i can rejet and take off my air box lid...

My bro has a 400ex k&n, dyno re-jet, and 13tooth, it was able to do every thing no problem. And has stock muffler

Please help thanx.

sampleez
08-13-2005, 09:33 PM
:huh

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/8086/negative39yb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

400EX QUADER
08-13-2005, 11:22 PM
^^^^ ROTFLMFAO. Where on ebaums world do ya find those?

450RgETiRdONE
08-14-2005, 01:28 AM
Yeah I just re-read my own post it does'nt make much since to me either:huh :huh :huh :huh

How ever, if i have a bmc, uni, or K&N filter can i rejet it with out buying new after market exaust??????

And of course take off my airbox lid, i dont see t=why not thats how my bros 400ex is its got stock muffler!

Thanks DAVE

400EX QUADER
08-14-2005, 01:44 AM
yea you can jet without a pipe. I would go up 1 or 2 sizes on the main and maybe 1 on the pilot for better starting.;)

benwa450r
08-14-2005, 03:52 AM
Power shouldn't be the problem. TIRES make a HUGE difference. Did you have paddles or stock tires? Invest in a good set of paddles and traction will increase alot.

450RgETiRdONE
08-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I have good paddles. I made it up the trail no problem, but I did it in first gear not second. The sand was also just pour 'n down so dry. Buy any way yeah I will rejet it just got go buy the kit!

OKTRX450R
08-16-2005, 03:22 PM
This seems odd to me??? Maybe just the different sand then in Oklahoma.

I usually find the faster you can turn the tires the faster you will climb. We have several dunes that end in grass and they are probably the steepest, some of them I can not get up in 1st gear because I just dig...but when I get in 2nd or 3rd I can stay on top and really launch to the top...

400EX QUADER
08-16-2005, 04:18 PM
exactly, that is how it's in oregon. Even sandlake. I dunno what is up with his bike but I was gonna see if he wanted to go riding this weekend at winchester bay which is all hills if he didn't have a problem climbin the little ones at sandlake which are nuthin compared to winchesterbay.:confused:

chad400ex
08-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 400EX QUADER
yea you can jet without a pipe. I would go up 1 or 2 sizes on the main and maybe 1 on the pilot for better starting.;)

If you jet up 1 or two sizes without a pipe...your quad will run like crapola. It may seem fine, but it'll be rich. If you like getting a lot of carbon build-up on your piston top and valves go for it ;) Bigger Jets don't necessarilly mean bigger power.

Bumping up the pilot will help with starting (IF...you're having problems).

450RgETiRdONE
08-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Hey 400EXQUADER,
Yeah bro been to winchester bay, and have gone up banchee hill and cruzed up all the others on a 400ex.

This first time in dunes with my new 450r totaly stock not a damn thing done to it. So i was a little Pee owed when i found i could not go up that trail in 2nd, well in first i went up it just fine...

Yeah we should meet up at winchester go ride 'n. Its bad *** there!

400EX QUADER
08-18-2005, 11:15 PM
actually meet me at sandlake saturday.

450RgETiRdONE
08-19-2005, 09:50 AM
I would love to go up there but been sick since wednesday morn, dunno what the heck it is that I have?

Want to go as much as possible before school start end september. So lets plan some other time. And then next week end I'm going to be up at camp rilea.

Just pm me next time you head n up there!

DirtDevilBT
08-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Hey getirdone, go ahead and get a filter (don't ask which one, 50/50 answers) and a jet kit. Try to get a kit that goes up to 200 on the main otherwise they pretty much stop at 180. This will be a good head start and both are needed when you go with an exhaust. Take the airbox lid off and jet it. You don't really need to jet it if you leave the lid on, but if you want max benifets than you should take it off.

One more thing! Eventhough the quad is stock and hasn't been touched doesn't mean it should work right everywhere. You need to jet the carb for whatever altitude you are riding at. When I ride at Glamis I normally move from a 165 (6000ft) to a 200 (below sea level). You might be running lean. Does it pop any? It doesn't have to however to be running lean.

Ken Klosterman
08-19-2005, 02:58 PM
I'd highly suggest taking the airbox lid off. It adds quite a bit of power to the bottom end. Go buy a stock airlid for like $12.00 and cut the back half section that is raised off. Cut inside of the raised area a bit so you leave some of the rounded edge. You can put this one on when your riding and then snap on your regular lid when you washing your quad. Now go buy an Outerwears Lid cover. It will fit right over your new cut lid. It has elastic all around the outside and after its installed you can still pull the stock airbox lid clips over it to make sure it stays on. Back to the cutting the back half of the lid. By leaving that rounded edge it will help on not cutting or wearing on your fabric Outerwear cover. Another thing I do is double up a piece of pantyhose over the snorkel inlet also and hold it on with a rubberband. You now won't be getting any sand in your airbox and still get all the advantage of open airbox. With the open airbox you will need between a 180 or 185 main jet. I've ridden my R down at Little Sahara and my 185 was a bit rich maybe. Still ran fine but I might try dropping down to the 180. Option 2 to keep in mind would be to buy the HRC jet needle and jet kit you can get at the Honda dealership. It compensates for the open airbox by having a different taper and it comes with a 185 main jet. My buddies have ridden my R before and after this mod and said it was night and day difference on the bottom end. Option 3 to add would be and HRC exhaust endcap also. Helps a bit on the topend a bit from what I've seen on dyno charts over the stock endcap. For under a $100.00 you can,t make a better improvement guaranteed :p :p

450RgETiRdONE
08-19-2005, 03:42 PM
KEN , AND DIRT DEVIL

Thanks a lot, I will just print off your posts good info there. Thanks.

Hey dirt devil im going to sandiego in october. Would it be worth it to drive over to Glamis. All i hear about glamis is how nice the hills are. What would i be look n at on the 450r that i should have done to it to tackle those hills?

Like you were sayen with alltitude makes a lot difference!

DirtDevilBT
08-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Well, if you have never been than yes! You must go, I think it's like 5 hours from Deigo or something. You will want paddles for sure but I think you said you already have them. Do the mod Ken was saying or you can get an outerwears from C&D that completely covers the missing airbox lid. That's what I run and it's waterproof and sand proof. The only thing on the filter is the fine grit but the oil gets that. You can also take out the spark arrester and any baffling the stock exhaust has. I don't know if there is a noise limit but my HMF hasn't had a problem and super loud banshees don't either. Do the jet kit but they only go up to 180 so you might want to pick up a 190 and 195 from a dealership to fall back on.(just in case)

Be safe and smart and always check what's on the other side. Other than that, the R will be a blast out there.

DirtDevilBT
08-20-2005, 12:09 AM
O sorry, the stock R will get you anywhere you want to go though too. Just jet it, there are already enough popers out there.:rolleyes: