PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Clutch

AlaskaSpeed
09-19-2001, 12:07 PM
Hey,
Anyone that has the hydraulic clutch, can you let me know how you like it; what you don't like about it? I am leaning towards getting one this winter while I tear down my quad and wanted to find out what your opinions were on it. Thanks, JIM

knighttime
09-19-2001, 12:23 PM
I have one and I really like it. So does anyone who rides it. The only drawback is the price (about $200). I think you should buy one. You will not regret it.

AlaskaSpeed
09-19-2001, 12:42 PM
Thank you for the reply. 200.00 is not bad, you gotta pay to play. Funny how you look at money after you sink 1400.00 into shocks..........: ) JIM

86atc250r
09-19-2001, 03:46 PM
Hey Jim,

I have a friend that has one (he's on the TRX400EX group, but doesn't post often). I rode it last weekend, mainly drag racing - the pull isn't really much less than stock (if any), but it is very smooth and consistant feeling.

His is the Magura unit.

He has also checked on the potential of a group buy. It is possible and we may be able to get prices down to the $150 range depending on how many are interested.

Nausty
09-19-2001, 07:00 PM
I would spend that money on something else for the quad if all it does is make clutch pull easier for 200 bucks why not just get one of those hand exerciser things and before you know it you won't even feel the clutch.

AlaskaSpeed
09-20-2001, 12:37 AM
Gabe,
Thanks for the info. I will definitely be in on a group buy if it works out. I don't mind the cable clutch's pull at all, just like the lower maintenance and consistency of a hydraulic unit. I rode and raced at Willow Springs in the amateur 600 class on my 87 Hurricane 600 for a long time and must have gotten used to the whole streetbike type hydraulics............keep me posted, Gabe. JIM

papaw
09-20-2001, 03:04 PM
i agree with nausty,save that money for something else.you can buy a cr perch and ez-pull lever from magic racing for like 30 or 40 bucks and i believe the pull on my 400 is easier than a hydraulic,and thats with barnett's dirt digger clutches w/heavy duty springs.

Nausty
09-20-2001, 05:30 PM
btw do u regularly use cable lube on the clutch?

papaw
09-20-2001, 05:58 PM
oh yeah!i even use the handy dandy cable luber.everyone should have one in their riding box....

buckeye400ex
09-21-2001, 05:31 PM
I didn't get one, I didn't think it was worth it. I rode someone's 400 with a CR Clutch lever and perch and thought that felt much easier than stock. So I just went with the EZ-pull lever and perch. Including White Bros. block off plate for the parking brake, I probably have $60 in it. The cheapest I could find the Magura Hydraulic clutch was $239. So my decision was pretty easy.

buckeye400ex
09-21-2001, 05:38 PM
I didn't get one, I didn't think it was worth it. I rode someone's 400 with a CR Clutch lever and perch and thought that felt much easier than stock. So I just went with the EZ-pull lever and perch. Including White Bros. block off plate for the parking brake, I probably have $60 in it. The cheapest I could find the Magura Hydraulic clutch was $239. So my decision was pretty easy.

400exBro
02-28-2002, 06:01 PM
I am probably getting one soon, i was wondering do you need to buy a new clutch basket and plates as well or is it just a replacement for the cable and lever?????
I am buying it becaue i have problems with my cable frezzing up in the winter from moistre getting in and then when i am not riding it will frezze up because or shed is not heated during the night. So far i have heard only good things on it.
Who cares them, does nacs??? moto man??
thanks
Bro

optikid123
02-28-2002, 06:12 PM
no no motor work required it comes and you just hook the little cable to the clutch pull mount it on the bars and go they sell one in denniskirk they give you an extra long line to go around the engine to keep away from heat