PDA

View Full Version : do you know this information about cams?

onlyquad
08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Im the owner of 400ex 2005.
I have uni filter and hmf slip on, in it. The motor is stock.
I am a recreational rider of hard trails and woods.
Im considering the installation of the HOT CAM STAGE ONE. I like this cam because is relatively cheap, is for bottom and midrange power, drop in cam, and dont need other modifications as hardened rockers.
I did a search in this forum and found there has been one particular fact: This cam ticks constantly and is very, very loud.
My questions:
1- Is this correct ?
2- It wont cause any damage ?
3- Is this a real problem ?
4- If I dont take the HOT CAM STAGE ONE, which other type of cam in other brand, have similar characteristics ? (relatively cheap, for bottom and midrange power, drop in cam, and dont need other modifications as hardened rockers)
THANKS.

2004exrider
08-12-2005, 07:26 PM
its funny you mention that, ive had my stage 1 in since february and it is still very quiet, no bs either. it ticks a little when first started up (not even that noticable) but when warmed up you can barely hear it. my friends ticks loud though, but i think his cam chain is stretched just a little.

Jimmy

cals400ex
08-13-2005, 01:40 AM
ours ticked loud, even with the recommended valve clearance. we thought the bike was messed up actually. we swapped in an OLD stage 2 and it was as quiet as stock. i would look in to a NEW stage 2 hotcam. it is a little less mild than the new stage 3 (old stage 2). i would make sure you have a full pipe to take advantage of this cam.

underpowered
08-13-2005, 08:06 AM
a white bros all around cam, grind 1948 is a good low end cam. it is what i run. it has a small tick to it, but is not really noticable. i have lots of low to mid power with a decent amount on top as well. The HMF really opened mine up with the cam too.

cals400ex
08-13-2005, 11:50 AM
i would also look into the TC 926 grind (woods cam). it will be more expensive but you still use the decompression assembly too. i paid around $200 for my TC cam 924 grind after i gave him my stock cam. i think without giving him my stock cam i would have paid aroudn $350 or somethign like that.

FoxRacing81
08-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Yup. Hotcam Stage 1's are known for there loud "tick"...and there is nothing wrong with them at all....it's absolutely normal. Mine had me worried for a while, but now I know its normal.

-Justin