PDA

View Full Version : Hint on fender cutting and scratches

ranger400ex
06-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Hey guys,

For all of you with cut fenders or deep gouges here is a quick trick. After cutting the fenders off take a lighter, or torch(if you have a steady hand) and run it along the fender watching for the plastic to go from white to shiny jsut like factory remember though that you really got to pay atteniton or you will melt the fender. It will give a factory shiny edge.

For those of you with deep gouges or scratches lightly sand the area with a high grit to remove the burs and clean the area with alchohol or cleaner then carefully run the flame over the area(I use a map gas torch turned down and held about 12" away) until it turns shiny. Let cool and do not touch or it will smear. Look at that repair

I have found that this works better than plastic renew($$$) , is cheaper and with practice you can keep those fenders looking somewhat respectable. I can post a few pics if anyone wants to see the difference.

Try it out,

BMW

Woodsrider
06-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Good to see someone else does this. We have been down this road. I posted pics of my fenders before and after the torch a while back.
I bought my 400 used and the plastic looked really bad. It took a lot of work, but I get a lot of compliments on it now.
I use a propane torch, and keep it moving.

Scott
06-05-2002, 09:57 AM
Since I have a handheld propane torch and some seriously scratched up plastic on my 300ex (to the point that it looks white instead of red where my boots have rubbed), I think I might have to give this a try.

SOGGY: do you still have those before/after pictures? I'd like to see them.

06-05-2002, 02:34 PM
yea definitly post some pics i want to see this i might have to try this sounds like a good idea
Good post
killer

Woodsrider
06-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Rather than waste band width posting the pics twice, here is a link to the thread....

http://209.120.142.52/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13852

06-05-2002, 08:18 PM
how long did it take you to do the entire quad? Also how many times did you have to go over the plastic? It looks great I hope mine comes out as good.
Killer

06-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Just be careful not to get too critical as you can cause the plastic to loose its shape. If you look close at those pics you can see the few scratches that remain, and if you try to get those out thats were the trouble begins. Believe me I have did this a few times some right :) and some wrong:(

Also do pay close attention to the clean up ideas from above since if you dont your not going to like the finished product.

Have Fun

Woodsrider
06-05-2002, 11:01 PM
440EX4me is right. Make darn sure it is clean, and dont expect a perfect fender. The deep scratches will still be there. All this does is take the dull white haziness out, and blend the mud scratches.
I guess to sum it up I would have to say this is a good alternative to plastic renew. But not something to do once a month.

Tip: If you keep one hand on the underside of the fender, beneath the flame, it will keep you from overheating the fender and causing it to loose its shape. I found this out the hard way.:(

Killer300EX, it took me about six hours to do all 4 fenders. That is sanding, cleaning and burning. Most of that was on the rear fenders.

Scott, my boots trash my plastic in one or two rides. I have given up on these spots. I just scrub the black stains out after the ride.

Good luck guys and post the results.

06-06-2002, 06:32 AM
Scott, my boots trash my plastic in one or two rides. I have given up on these spots. I just scrub the black stains out after the ride.

If you ride aggressive there is just no way your not gonna get wear from your boots. The only thing I have that works is either heavy vinyl stickers (not the little .02 ones you got with your silencer :) ) or the clear vinyl that some of the MC shops carry. I had seen and heard of some goos results with the clear as its thick like the aftermarket graphic kits.

I gave up trying to keep the plastics perfect. After getting my 01 400 used one of the first things I did after melting out the scratches was to buy new front and rear plastic. In a few months there just not new anymore, and the only way they will be is if I put some new ones on order. But the 400ex plastic is cheap enough (like 115.00 for front and rear, not bad compared to shocks or a arms)

Scott
06-06-2002, 06:36 AM
If you thought the 400 plastic was expensive, check the price of factory 300ex plastic. My Brother-in-law works for Honda, so I had him check what it would be with his discount. $515 for everything. Aftermarket was about $400 for everything.

RideRed04
06-06-2002, 11:58 AM
I just e-mailed ac and they sent me a bunch of stickers, so I throw those on where my boots hit the black. When they wear out, I peal them off and stick a new one on there. I will have to try the torch thing on the little corner of the rear fenders that gets trashed.

Sparky416ex
06-07-2002, 11:00 PM
Im sure most of you people know this but if there is a weak spot in your plastic where it has turned white, get a hair dryer put it on the white spots and it will take those spots right away.