PDA

View Full Version : Can someone do a detailed post on what is involved in putting a cam in?

400exstud
08-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Can someone do a detailed post on what is involved in putting a cam in because I have no idea what is all included. I just don't want to get in over my head.

2004exrider
08-12-2005, 04:01 PM
let me first tell you to get a clymers or other service manual. But i will try and help ya. Get all your plastics off the quad. make sure you turn the gas off on your tank and remove it, after that take the sheild out from under it also. Put your engine on top dead center now while the plastics are off. Theres going to be a long bolt that hods the motor in at the top remove that. Now one of the most critical parts, the top of the motor you have to remove has a lot of bolts in it. they are NOT the same length so id suggest putting a number on each bolt and a number by the hole it goes in. less confusion in the end. once you take that off your cam is gonna be rite there, loosen the cam tensioner enough and pull the camshaft out. if this is a hot cams your going to have to take the gear off the stock one and put it on your new one. once assembled lube the crap out of it and where it sits. Do not insttall it dry. put normal honda GN4 oil on it or the oil your using in the motor now, i wouldnt suggest breaking the cam in with a synthetic. Also, when you take your old cam out theres going to be a compression release spring, remove that. Anyways put the cam in and adjust the tensioner accordingly. once you get it all together adjust the valves to the proper clearances, i believe .005 for the intake valves and .006 for the exhaust valves (only if this is for the stage 1 hotcam). when its all assembled turn the engine over by hand to make sure theres no binding or anything else. Time for break in, Hotcams suggests running it at 3000 rpm's for a half an hour. So find a big enough area you can keep it up that high. after that id suggest changing the oil in it and you should be set. but please if you do get a different cam get a service manual. it has all the torque specs plus pictures on how to do all this. good luck too ya.

Jimmy

wilkin250r
08-12-2005, 04:03 PM
What you need is a repair manual. We can't/won't give you as much detail as a proper repair manual will give you.

If you don't have a repair manual, or can't understand it, then you have no business even attempting it.

If you want a basic overview, I can provide that, but I'm not going to give you a complete walkthrough...

zeppelin
08-12-2005, 06:05 PM
here you go, (this is for the 400 right?) ive never done this on that particular bike, but i think it should be correcet (if any 400 owners notice a mistake please let me know). first you want to take all your plastics off, including the gas tank. once you have all that stuff off clean the crap out of your bike, espicialy sround the top end, you dont want to acidentally nock some dirt in there. with everythig clean i would start by takeing the head stay off, then take the valve cover bolts off. then take off those big screws on the left side of your bottom end. line up the marks on the cam and on the fly wheel to get it at tdc. now you can take the cam chain tensioner off then the bolts that hold the cam in place. before you remove the came get a wire or an old coat hanger to hold onto the cam chain so that it wont fall into the bottom end. finnaly take the old cam out and put the new one in. i would also recomend useing a little assembly lube on the cam, and flush out some of the old oil and puting new oil in before you start it. make sure you readjust the valves and make jetting adjustments. i agree with wilkin250r though a manuel would really help btw if i missed anything please let me know like i said ive never actually done this on the 400

UglyMotha™
08-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
Can someone do a detailed post on what is involved in putting a cam in because I have no idea what is all included. I just don't want to get in over my head.

now are we talking bout a CR250 or a small block chevy :o

Cody_300ex
08-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
now are we talking bout a CR250 or a small block chevy :o

cr250's are two stroke ugly. lol Don't feel bad, we all have moments like that.

plkmonster2
08-14-2005, 06:59 PM
I think that part was a joke, lol.

UglyMotha™
08-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
cr250's are two stroke ugly. lol Don't feel bad, we all have moments like that.

your lucky you ain't close enough for me to slap :rolleyes:

2004exrider
08-16-2005, 07:42 AM
^ lol