PDA

View Full Version : Chain tight...too tight?

Jersey450R
08-12-2005, 11:56 AM
What will hapen if the chain is too tight. I know it will snap if you bottom too hard but what are some of the other side affects of having a chain too tight?
anything would be appreciated.
i would thing it would slow the quad down and possible mess up the crank.

Deathbringer
08-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Pretty much that, you just take a chance of breaking your chain. It needs about a 1/2" of play with the rider seated on the bike. That should allow the chain enough slack to not break.

roostin_dale
08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
What will hapen if the chain is too tight. I know it will snap if you bottom too hard

this is new to me! When you bottom your suspension your chain gets more loose, not tighter...i dont see how it could break..

08-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
this is new to me! When you bottom your suspension your chain gets more loose, not tighter...i dont see how it could break..

err, wrong! when you sit on it, the chain definetly gets tighter.

UNLESS.. your quad sits really low to start with, and the swig arm is parallel with the ground with you off it. then when you get on it, it would go past a 90 degree.

so the closer the swing arm is to parallel with the ground the tighter the chain will be.

watts16
08-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
err, wrong! when you sit on it, the chain definetly gets tighter.

UNLESS.. your quad sits really low to start with, and the swig arm is parallel with the ground with you off it. then when you get on it, it would go past a 90 degree.

so the closer the swing arm is to parallel with the ground the tighter the chain will be.

yes he is correct

Scro
08-12-2005, 04:11 PM
when the suspension is compressed the chain will become looser. When you are in the air, the chain hits the chain roller, causing it to tighten.

roostin_dale
08-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
when the suspension is compressed the chain will become looser. When you are in the air, the chain hits the chain roller, causing it to tighten.

thank you, i thought i was right! :scary:

DvxDirtSlinger
08-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
thank you, i thought i was right! :scary:
mine gets tighter when i sit on it, just adjusted it today

99_300ex
08-13-2005, 11:07 PM
wont it wear out your axle bearings faster to?

08-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 99_300ex
wont it wear out your axle bearings faster to?

yup

bwamos
08-18-2005, 09:31 AM
It depends on the quad.

Front Sprocket to pivot point and chain slider/roller relationships determine how the chain reacts.

On a standard setup without rollers.. the chain always tightens as the swingarm lines up parallel to the front sprocket to pivot centerline. This is also why the suspension can stiffen up when under acceleration. However a well placed roller can counteract this.

But still you always want about a 1/2" (12mm) of up/down movement in your chain. A chain that gets too tight.. can wear out bearings front and back, break chains (causing broken cases), crack swingarms, crack rear housings, break/warp sprockets, rob horsepower, make the suspension work poorly, etc..

Just put the proper amount of slop in the chain and be done with it. There's no reason not to.

1badforeman
09-08-2005, 08:02 PM
i thought if ur chain was 2 tight it would break or stretch out really fast

400exrider707
09-08-2005, 09:10 PM
400exs get tighter as you sit on it and 450Rs get looser. Go figure!? But yeah it will stretch and break, and your axle bearings will wear out faster as well.

MR.BIG
09-09-2005, 09:45 AM
It can also wear out your countershaft seal!

Sjorge450R
09-09-2005, 08:10 PM
most quads when you sit on them pushes the swinger down which makes the overall lenght of the quad longer, causing a tighter chain