PDA

View Full Version : GT Thunder, Derisi, C & D, etc, Suspention modification

Math
08-11-2005, 07:36 PM
This winter I plan on buying a set of +3 inchs A-arms and to do a complete suspention upgrade. I don't want to buy some expensive after market shocks and long travel set up because I brouth this bike for is good power and is good stock suspention. I do MX and very few trail ride.

I search I little and found that GT Thunder, Derisi and C&D racing come back offen. I would like to know want is every body opinion about them I whitch kit I should take.

GT Thunder:
350$ - front shocks conversion (locks like a dual rate set up
175$ - link age
??$ - rear spring for my weight
A minimum of 525$

Derisi:
725$ - Revalve Front and Rear Shocks to MX ZPS Spec, and New Long Travel Rear Linkage. Front shocks will be Triple rate springs and the rear will be dual rate for MX.

C&D Racing:
Don't know :confused: Tell me if you know.

Other??

Thanks

Pappy
08-11-2005, 07:46 PM
if price is a factor, Gt Thunder and C&D both will provide you with rebuilds that work very good.

derisi is more expensive but also can have your shocks preforming top notch.

i have run derisis and c&d rebuilds, and only have heard good things about Gt Thunder so you arent going wrong with any of them.

my suggestion, call all three, ask questions and make your decision based on what they tell you. it dont get no more honest then that.

kbass24emtp
08-11-2005, 08:50 PM
I have the DeRisi setup and love it. DeRisi makes sure you are 100% happy with your setup.

Math
08-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Nobody else?

What about the GT Thunder kit?
With any of those kit, do you still bothom out your suspension?

370kingR
08-13-2005, 05:38 AM
My Derisi setup is awsome but he took FOREVER to do it. I was not happy with the B.S. that i got fed for over 3 Months...He told me 2 weeks, 2 freagin WEEKS. Go see Laz at GT Thunder.

MX#9
08-13-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm not all that impressed with the GT Thunder setup,but I only have stock to compare it to. It is better,but certainly not "awesome".
The turn around time at GT THunder is "awesome". I think I shipped on a Mon. afternoon and had them back Wed. morn.

Over-land 450r
08-13-2005, 10:07 AM
i want to do the same thing. i think i might go with c&d they want 625 i think to do front and rear. if he would just do the front it would be nice

Pappy
08-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Over-land 450r
i want to do the same thing. i think i might go with c&d they want 625 i think to do front and rear. if he would just do the front it would be nice

get all 3 done at the same time. it makes a world of difference over stock.

Over-land 450r
08-13-2005, 11:45 AM
yea but wannted to get the rear done with a swingarm

cals400ex
08-13-2005, 11:56 AM
if you just want the front done, he will do it. no problem at all...

bpimpdaddy21
08-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Might want to check out JH Racing, I have been hearing good things about them as well as the others...

08-13-2005, 06:45 PM
i race w/ the gt thunder kit al 3 shocks rear link and progressive front. it is as good as a friends triple rate elka's. he was pissed. and i run my susp really soft and weigh 220lbs and haven't bottomed them;) + they've saved my *** a couple of times;) i'm a happy customer:D

LS@GtThunder
08-13-2005, 06:46 PM
Math - First off - Pappy has given you very good advice - definatly shop around and then decide what you want.

I would highly recomend that you do not use price as a deciding factor since all 3 of the companies you mentioned are with in $150.00.

First you need to decide what you want and then find the shock builder that will fill your needs.

C&D, and Derisi will both build a great shock package for you, but I know all of us build a differant setup.

There will be several choices you need to make which include your spring set and the amount of shock travel you want in the front.

Again make your choice based on what you are wanting rather the on the price.

I am also very difficult to reach by phone many times as is Derisi (I know, I always get his voice mail). I am sure Colby is much easier to reach. Always look at the big picture when you are spending money to modify your quad.

08-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by LS@GtThunder
Math - First off - Pappy has given you very good advice - definatly shop around and then decide what you want.

I would highly recomend that you do not use price as a deciding factor since all 3 of the companies you mentioned are with in $150.00.

First you need to decide what you want and then find the shock builder that will fill your needs.

C&D, and Derisi will both build a great shock package for you, but I know all of us build a differant setup.

There will be several choices you need to make which include your spring set and the amount of shock travel you want in the front.

I am also very difficult to reach by phone many times as is Derisi (I know, I always get his voice mail). I am sure Colby is much easier to reach. Always look at the big picture when you are spending money to modify your quad.

if i was looking for a good woods setup coming from elka suspension, i am wanting no preload of course, and great valving that will suit my weight and riding style, what questions would i ask and who would u reccommend, also if you could tell me how u would set it up that would be great also...thanks :macho

brif
08-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm running the gt thunder set-up and I really like it. I got a new rear spring because I'm a bigger guy. The turn-around time was the fastest of anything I've ever sent out to be worked on.

Over-land 450r
08-13-2005, 07:26 PM
i want to ride mx on a 450r but i way 130lbs. im 14. wat setup do you reccomend

Mxracer53
08-13-2005, 08:36 PM
same here 130 and 14 years old

Santo DeRisi
08-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by LS@GtThunder

I agree 100% with Laz about deciding who you want to go with!

Like he said we might be hard to get on the phone at times but that is because we are trying to take care of our customers work. Everything that leaves my shop "I" do it "Myself" It is hard sometimes to keep up with the turnaround time but i will not rush things b/c i want to do the best possible work that i can do. Again i am sorry for the people that has had to wait but i can only do so much by myself. Anyone can call any time and if you don't get me please leave me a voice mail and i will call you back as soon as i can. I respect anybody's and everybody's opinion!

kazpr
08-29-2005, 10:25 PM
I have the DERISI setup and it is AWESOME! I would ONLY get a setup for the rear that includes a linkage.

My good friend just got the JH Racing with the linkage and is like my Derisi only much faster turn around time.

manson98
08-30-2005, 02:28 PM
J-H RACING has out done themselves by far! Johnny has done a great job in dialing in my shocks to the best a stock shock can get!!!!! Best turn around time I have seen.

TM426
08-30-2005, 03:22 PM
I like my shocks from Derisi. Ask all the questions you want and he'll answere them. If you decide to go with him then he will ask the questions. He asked me how I prefered my suspension and covers everything for the right set up. He did good work and Im sending my next pair to him.

watts16
08-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by manson98
J-H RACING has out done themselves by far! Johnny has done a great job in dialing in my shocks to the best a stock shock can get!!!!! Best turn around time I have seen.
'
does JH Racing have a website???

MAD450r
08-30-2005, 04:19 PM
http://www.j-hracing.com/

Ralph
08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
I would say derisi. I have dealt with him and he does an excellent job. One thing i would not recomend is the elka rebuilds. I do not know about their current setups but my rear is slacking for the money i paid and i actualy have the feeling it is blown right now and that isnt the first bad experience i have heard about.

Derisi on the other hand does a great job and hes excellent to deal with.

As for C&D my friend had is 450r shocks done all around and he liked them alot more than a pair of axis he had for the same bike. As a matter of fact those axis shocks are still sitting in a box right now in his shed so i would assume they do a pretty good job too. The only complaint from him i have heard is that he feels his shocks are starting to get soft but they have been ridden pretty hard, but not quite a full racing season. Who knows maybe he is just getting so much better that the bigger he goes the more the shocks cant handle what they were originaly set up for.

kbass24emtp
08-30-2005, 05:46 PM
It might be time to have them rebuilt if they are getting soft.

bran_416ex
08-30-2005, 05:49 PM
JH racing has perfected the swap for the rebuild!!! There is no other I would trust with my set up!!!! I would at least give him a call!!!!! 918-371-0101

watts16
08-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by MAD450r
http://www.j-hracing.com/

thnkas i did a seach on google and i couldnt find it t
\

thanks

beak7707
08-31-2005, 05:03 PM
I wouldnt trade my GT thunder rear rebuild for anything comparable in the price range.

PismoLocal
09-19-2005, 12:42 PM
GT Thunder Rules!

Jersey450R
09-19-2005, 03:01 PM
can we maybe get a full review of each rebuild? all these opinions are getting me comfused. i was going to go with axis but i'm thinking twice now...

fasterz
09-19-2005, 03:37 PM
hmm good idea, mabey we should email the magazines and ask them to do a test:blah: alot of them end up biased but its worth a try