PDA

View Full Version : Maxima filter oil on a K&N??

CranMan
06-05-2002, 04:20 AM
I bought some Maxima Fab1 filter oil from the honda shop, it said it was for fabric filters. It's a blue oil. I put it on and it seemed really heavy and sticky. I also made some jetting changes that were off, and my quad ran like crap. I put it back to where it was jetted before, and it still seems sluggish, now I think it's that heavy blue filter oil. Anyone ever try it??

06-05-2002, 07:25 AM
I'd clean the filter real good with K&N cleaning fluid first...and I believe that filter spray you got is for foam filters if it's real tacky..

Crypted1
06-07-2002, 07:54 PM
that filter oil is for foam filters. your k&n is paper. its so thick so it fill the pores on the foam filter. clean you k&n with k&n cleaner and then go to autozone and get the correct filter oil. Auotzone sells a recharge kit, it containes the cleaner and the right oil. make sure you rinse it from inside out and let it air dry. DO NOT RING IT OUT. Don't treat it like a wet towel. just put it aside overnight and let it dry.

cunderwood
06-26-2002, 11:15 AM
Hello All,

Actually, I used the Maxima FFT (Foam Filter Treatment) oil on the stock foam filter and had the same problem. The direction say to "Liberally Apply" oil to the foam filter and squeez out the excess, however, this stuff was so thick that I couldn't get much out of the foam. My 400 ran sluggish afterwards. I cleaned the filter with PJ1 cleaner and it took ALMOST A WHOLE CAN!!!! of cleaner to get that sticky blue oil out. I now am back to PJ1 foam filter oil and it runs great again. As soon as pay day gets here I am going with the K&N fitler with an Outerwear!!!!!!! Tired of messing around with the foam filters.

Chris Underwood
2002 400EX Stock for now...