PDA

View Full Version : titanium valves

lrdyfz45021
08-10-2005, 10:00 PM
My buddy has a 450r and is getting head work done at baldwin motorsports. He is also getting a crf wiring harness, cdi, and carb. Would the 450r need titanium valves or heavier springs for the higher revs?

StuckInTheMud
08-10-2005, 11:20 PM
most likly your buddy will need stiffer springs cause the more revs the more the stock springs will start to slouch and the valves will stick open when there supposed to be closed

450ss
08-11-2005, 12:17 AM
i would never go with the titanium because the cast metal ones that come stock are heavy duty for a reason and tell him if he goes with titanium he will spend a lot of money when he messes it up

08-11-2005, 12:22 AM
didnt the stock crf engines that had titanium have nothing but problems with that? id stay away from titanium

370kingR
08-11-2005, 04:05 AM
The one big advantage titainium valves have over stainless steel valves is their weight savings. Ti valves are much lighter and requir much less spring rate tension thus improving power and also making the engine rev quicker.

Just think about trying to push down a dual rate race spring with your thumb and then a stock single rate spring with your thumb. That stock spring takes ALOT less to push it down. Dont think your engine doesnt know that!

Now if you are concerned with less pressure single rate springs then remember one thing, the crf engine revs to 11,300 i believe, with no troubles.

Here's the argument you can make however. One being that the crf's dont come with a baldmwin 14:1 domed piston which makes for a much tighter valve to piston clearance. Now all of a sudden the heavier spring kit might come back into play and now you can argue that the ti valves that are not as durable as the stainless valves will wear faster because of the increased seat pressure those springs will cause.

My thoughts are ti valves are great if your not running a monster domed/compressioned piston and you dont mind tearing the head off to service them in a shorter amount of time. They will definetly require increased maintenance (like being replaced much sooner than stainless) Plus i donot believe you can recut ti valves like S.S.

This is my opinion and others may think differently, if you do lets hear it.

wppracing
08-11-2005, 04:09 AM
I have been using the Ti intake valves for a while and havent had a problem yet.

370kingR
08-11-2005, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by wppracing
I have been using the Ti intake valves for a while and havent had a problem yet.

When you switched over, did you do more than replace the intakes with ti valves? Was there any difference in the power delivery at all that you noticed WPP?

Airik79mx
08-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by lrdyfz45021
My buddy has a 450r and is getting head work done at baldwin motorsports. He is also getting a crf wiring harness, cdi, and carb. Would the 450r need titanium valves or heavier springs for the higher revs?

Mark should make the call on that. If he has your budds head, cam, etc... he should set everything up as needed.

superquadguy
08-11-2005, 08:19 AM
the resson stock Ti valves have problems is because it is not highgrade Ti. alot of the after market Ti valves are stronger than stock.

wppracing
08-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I drop a valve keeper and bent a stock intake valve. I put the TI intake valves in because they can take the extra RPMS from the vortex. The exhaust valves are fine. I did increase the the exhaust clearance from .011 to .012. That will keep alittle more sprind tension on them. As for any power difference, It feels the same as it did with the stock valves in.