PDA

View Full Version : building a racing lawn mower

Out_Sider
08-10-2005, 08:30 PM
well, i'm gonna be building a racing lawn mower in the next few weeks (possibly months) to use as fun around the house, and to use as a pit vehical at the races, and maybe actually race it at one or two Lawn Mower Races (just for fun of course). I'm curious as to what everyone is really doing to this things. I have an older model dynamark lawn mower with a 10hp briggs motor that i'm gonna be starting with. I know about intake, exhaust, and pulleys, but what can you really do to these things to make them scream? i want it to break the 35 mph barrier (set goal, if i reach it, it will definatly get higher) Of course this is just for fun, but i want to have the baddest lawn mower on the block.. will get pics soon of the beast as it sits.

:devil:

Snow
08-10-2005, 08:40 PM
get some slick go-kart wheels on douglas rims, and try to make it really low to the ground. thats about all i know to do :rolleyes:

HondaMan222
08-10-2005, 09:24 PM
cr125 motor will do it...:D if you don't mind not having reverse... but it will save weight, you can get rid of the heavy mower tranny, and convert it to chain drive...

rippin2
08-10-2005, 09:26 PM
if you biuld those things right..they ****ing fly....i remeber seeing lawn mowers racing on espn once

Out_Sider
08-11-2005, 06:56 PM
well i started tearing it down tonite, i'm gonna pressure wash it tomm to get all the old grease and stuff (actually no where NEAR as much as i was expecting) but i can't wait.. i've never really been this excited about building something. i fired it up tonight, but it seems the carb is having problems..it will only run when you squirt gas straight into the motor, so the carb is probably really gummed up.. i hope its still good, lol.

Honda5
08-11-2005, 07:05 PM
I helped the kid next door build one and their is alot you can do with the flat head we got his over 50mph he has won several races with it but their are some guys faster then him. It has a shaved head, porting work,cam ,the carb has been opened up,case vents added,the rear is welded posi, and lots of other neat stuff.

660Grizz04
08-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Heres mine .... i want even finished yet but i sold it ....

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ecko_7_2/detail?.dir=dec3&.dnm=7ae8.jpg&.src=ph
Studded tires ... took it out on the ice during winter, i didnt really have much stuff into it but i got it for free from a neibor and changed some pulleys , lets just say she went faster than a regular lawn mower. :devil:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ecko_7_2/detail?.dir=dec3&.dnm=acd2.jpg&.src=ph
Straight pipes , When i sold the guy was riding around town with the straight pipe on .... he actually got the cops called on him but they told him just to get out of town with it. As you might be able to see, it had a slight oil leak. :ermm:

lonestar13r
08-11-2005, 07:20 PM
well i started tearing it down tonite, i'm gonna pressure wash it tomm to get all the old grease and stuff (actually no where NEAR as much as i was expecting) but i can't wait.. i've never really been this excited about building something. i fired it up tonight, but it seems the carb is having problems..it will only run when you squirt gas straight into the motor, so the carb is probably really gummed up.. i hope its still good, lol.

your Float could be stuck , try simply taping on the carb with a screw driver handle...

Here is my brothers toy... we'll was,, he sold this one.. but it was BADDDDD not a racer but it killed every one in his class at pulling. was neat to watch!

660Grizz04
08-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Well you can tap on the carb as a quick fix but i would just take it off and clean it out.

lonestar13r
08-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Well you can tap on the carb as a quick fix but i would just take it off and clean it out.

yeah i would take it off and clean it out, just tap on it for a while and see if you can find anything that might be a little deal. theres not a whole lot to them , not on the walbro and kohler carbs any how, make sure everything is clean and also tight with not much slop and play and your good.

08-11-2005, 07:39 PM
I had a lawnmower but they break way to easy. Have fun turning over a hi comp motor with a stock starter!

300excrazy98
08-11-2005, 07:53 PM
hey i got a 16hp briggs engine forsale, if you want it you can have it! for a small price of course, it looks like new, minor surface rust i mean real minor, it starts up and runs good,

how do you change the pullies guys?

Out_Sider
08-11-2005, 07:56 PM
actually i'm leavin the stock piston and such in it as its in good shape, just getting head work done (shaving it, porting and polish) i didnt have much time to work on it tonite, but tomm i hope to start doing working on the carb. my intake is gonna look so pimp, haha. the main reason i'm taking the motor off and such is cuz i'm repainting the entire lawn mower, and redoing pretty much everything so it looks as good as its going to run :macho

08-11-2005, 07:57 PM
:p

enduro400rider
08-11-2005, 08:43 PM
i was goin to build a race mower but my project mower took a crap on me. it blew up must have cracked the block cuz oil is coming out all over the place. it lived a long life it was over 25 years old. but it still runs even though oil is leaking out everyware. last summer i saw a guy on a wheel horse that had a custom ram air intake and a wheelie bar and all the other good stuff riding through a parking lot doin at least 35 riddin a wheelie. they look pretty fun to ride i just wanted to make mine hit 45 so i could pass people in cars goin down my road just to see the look on there face as they are gettin passed by a mower.:huh have you ever seen those lounge chairs with little briggs motors in them they look pretty sweet now that would be bad *** to have one that was fast enough to pass cars on a 35mph street could you imagine gettin passed by a kid ridding a chair? :devil:

Out_Sider
08-11-2005, 08:53 PM
im gonna be drillin holes in side the block as well so more oil flows more places (common thing to do in a briggs).. haha i'm getting so many ideas :macho

400exrules
08-11-2005, 08:59 PM
make it extremely light, that will help, remove anything and everything thats not of use

400exstud
08-11-2005, 10:36 PM
I have a 1970's case mower that does 15mph stock and is louder than my HMF with the core in it at WOT.

Crazy Honda
08-12-2005, 10:10 AM
IF you want to go fast you need more displacement :devil: :eek2: ;)

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Racer98/ddd.bmp.png

GP400
08-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda
IF you want to go fast you need more displacement :devil: :eek2: ;)

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Racer98/ddd.bmp.png

That's great! I sure could get done with the yard a lot faster.

xrxmxcx
08-12-2005, 10:48 AM
id say there isnt much of a weight issue with that one, heck id leave everything on it to make it look like a sleeper, and even add a bagger!:devil:

underpowered
08-12-2005, 11:41 AM
search for a gocart site. my buddy used to race carts with briggs engines. he had a five horse block puttin out around 17 horse. i know another guy who built a 10 horse tecumsa, had so much compression he could not keep head bolts in it. He ended up building something to clamp the head to the frame to keep it from blowing off.

Out_Sider
08-12-2005, 03:07 PM
well i'm in Small Engine Technology this entire school year, so my teacher said he would really help me have it puttin out big hp numbers (estimated we could get around 18-20 w/ stock piston, valves, and carb) its a 10 horse right now, but im sure with the hours it has that its not like new hp wise, but its gonna be pretty awesome

bradley300
08-13-2005, 10:37 AM
dont ask me how i remember this, but it might help.

www.letsmow.com

SRH
08-13-2005, 10:46 AM
i work with a few guys who race them,....i expected slow lil racing...those things fly....there nuts, i couldnt see using one as a pit vehicle...if it didnt seem so crazy id consider racing one myself