PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a R

Jingle #11
08-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi, im looking to buy a new quad. I had a 400ex that i pimped out so i know the ropes. I'm looking to buy a 250r because ive always wanted one and they are going cheap. But i have no idea what year is the best or what to look for. I know to look at the frame for cracks or welds but thats about it. thank you.

08-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Frame for cracks (if its gusseted already would be a bonus if its done right)
Good Compression
Good Spark
Little to know dents in the pipe
Cracks in the case

Its 2 stroke not much to look for really other than the standard stuff.

TheFontMaster
08-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Most people like the 88/89 geometry better. Those year motors also put out more power and the 89 motor had the best clutch.

Jingle #11
08-11-2005, 10:58 AM
i heard that the 88/89 frames arent that strong. but ok so nothing really that specail to look for except the frame? thats good. Now the cases? what should i look for there? oil leaks? welds?

TheFontMaster
08-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Jingle #11
i heard that the 88/89 frames arent that strong. but ok so nothing really that specail to look for except the frame? thats good. Now the cases? what should i look for there? oil leaks? welds?

It's not that they are not strong, but they are less strong than the 86 frame which had some extra gusseting from the factory. But by no means does that make the 88/89 frames weak. Remember you are riding a frame that is 15-20 years old, unless you get an aftermarket frame.

On the cases look for any signs of repairs on them, make shure there is no JB weld on them. Look at the area where the case saver mounts up, that is a common place for there to be cracks, leaks and repairs from the chain breaking and hitting the case.

JTRtrx250r
08-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Go thru all the gears, check clutch, shifting action

flip it up on the grab bar and inspect the bottem of the frame for straightness(most important), cracks ,dents, welds etc

Be sure it has a vin # and title

lift the front and rock it side to side looking for play/slop(means it needs swinger and/or carrier bearings

Check the steering loop, lower motormounts, shockmounts, footpeg/swinger mount area, rear sub frame and seatlatch area and swingarm for cracks/breaks,welds

check the air filter and tranny oil/ condition and level(if clean ..good sign was maintained properly and gives a good thoughts it was cared for)

be sure shocks dont leak

be sure spindles and steering stem are straigh(stems are spendy)

make sure calipars work and dont pull to 1 side

chains, bearings , clutches , brake pads, cables are all meant to wear out and are cheap for the most part, so no big deal..

spray paint and overspray are bad signs also

and HOPE the swinger bolt was greased and maintained, or you'll be cutting it out!!

And you cant go wrong w/ any yr frame, 86 is strongest but heaviest, you can make 86-87 to have 88-89 geometry w/ the -1 swingarm and +1 aarms

250Renvy
08-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Check the swingarm where it connects to the frame, make sure there are no welds there either - it can be hard to see if you don't really inspect it.

RECEIPTS - Finding a stock R is less common than a modded one so if they say they have engine mods or porting etc see receipts to prove it or they could be full of it.

Check the a-arm/shock bushings are tight.

Look to see if there is wabble in the axle or front wheels

A minor thing but it tells a lot about the seller. If they say they've owned it for a while and have a title, check to see if the title date matches when they said they've owned it.

Get a verbal history of the quad as best to their knowledge and if they've only had it a couple months ask for the number of the person who owned it before.

One last thing. Some 250R's have changed hands a dozen times so be wary of a super modded quad that someone says was never raced, likely they have never raced it, but it was before.

Spend more on a better condition quad than a beater because by the time you get the beater fixed up, you'll have more into it than if you bought a nice one - and it's still just a beater fixed up rather than something that was always nice.

Good luck

deathman53
08-11-2005, 06:28 PM
you'll be hard pressed to find a r with a title, most of them never came with titles when new. almost every 250r has been raced at some point in time, unless they are the original owner or the bike looks very stock don't believe them it was never raced. also be wary alot of r's have atc motors in them(that opens up lots of question of the bikes past), this means the motor was toasted, broke cases in the past. On 86/87 where the vin numbers are on the thin metal tab on the lover subframe, the tab tends to break off(which is why it was moved to the front of the frame in 88/89). unless you are knowingly buying a raced bike, look for any signs of racing, heavily welded frames, faint number sticker residue, also look at the bottom of the frame for any crushing of the frame rails. mostly everything else has been stated already. in general, if it looks heavily raced, beat-on, or the seller doens't know much about the bikes past and/or you see trouble areas that can't be explained by any reasonable means, DON'T BUY THE BIKE.

JTRtrx250r
08-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I personally wont touch an R w/o a title (or ANY bike for that matter), my state requires it as w/ most on the west coast, if your state requires it... dont buy w/o a title if you plan to ride anywhere other than your propert or track

Jingle #11
08-12-2005, 12:01 AM
nah man a title isnt a big deal as long as i get a bill of sale. my state doesnt require it.

Smoker
08-12-2005, 05:33 AM
Tweaked subframe, you'll notice the back plastic and seat not lining up very well.

dynofox
08-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
I personally wont touch an R w/o a title (or ANY bike for that matter), my state requires it as w/ most on the west coast, if your state requires it... dont buy w/o a title if you plan to ride anywhere other than your propert or track

Here in NY you can register a machine w/o a title, just need the correct DMV paper work and a VIN tracing. Once the machine is registered we get a registration card that is transferable (takes the place of the title as proof of ownership). Not sure how other states deal with this though.

As for what to look for: check the oil drain bolt and surrounding area for leaks and repairs. Having the treads in the case for the drain plug stripped is a common problem for older machines.

agarbs87
08-16-2005, 07:39 PM
I have a 87 250r.
No leaks,everything works properly, rebuilt motor with new crank and bored top end. No cracks in frame and its powdercoated. Has alot of new parts on it. Excellent condition. $2800. Email me if you are interested. Agarbs87@yahoo.com

beerock
08-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I've said this before and ill say it again the 86-86 are not the strongest frame. just because the front motor mounts are beefier means nothing.

the 88-89 have a cross bar mount for the rear motor mount the 86-87 does not. All the 86-87 has is the bolt on motor mount that the swingarm mount supports, but the 88-89 has the swingarm bolt AND the factory welded motor mount.

Also, the 88-89 have extra gusseting on the front upper shock mounts, the 86-87 doesnt.

ALSO, the steering stem area on the 88-89 is gusseted from the factory. the 86-87 doesnt.

WHAT makes all of yall think the 86 is stronger, after what i have said? they are all facts.

if you look at these two compilation pics, one frame is a 86, one frame is a 88. If you look carefully for the spots that ARE NOT WELDED you can see the areas honda beefed up on the front shock area and steering stem area. along with the OBVIOUS rear motor mount addition on the 88-89

here is the 88

beerock
08-16-2005, 08:41 PM
this is the 86 frame, remeber look at the areas that there is partial paint on obviously the other areas have been gusseted.

and yes if you have either frame the spots in these pics are the spots that need to be welded.

beerock
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
oh yea now that i have that off my chest.

make sure the front BALL JOINTS ARE TIGHT and the a-arm bushings are tight, and there is no play in the swingarm bolt also the rear shock linkage.

check the disc rotors

also check the axle bearings

check the air filter too, if its really dirty thats a sign the guy didnt maintain it that well.

make sure the bike shifts into neutral fairly easy, although if it doesnt its not much of a problem, most R's have trouble with neutral, but if it shifts into neutral easy thats a bonus...

Im out..

wilkin250r
08-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Mine shifts into neutral TOO easy. Crap, I can't tell you how many times I'm powering out of a corner, or starting line in a drag race, and pop it into neutral instead of second...

beerock
08-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Mine shifts into neutral TOO easy. Crap, I can't tell you how many times I'm powering out of a corner, or starting line in a drag race, and pop it into neutral instead of second...

:eek2: wilkin CAA MON MAN!! LOL bang that ***** up hard to 2nd!

;) :D

Scott-300ex
08-18-2005, 04:53 PM
bushings
swinger-frame bearings
axle bearings
brakes move free
straight axle
hubs in good condition

just check it all over closley

kyex40047
08-20-2005, 12:55 PM
How much are you looking to spend. I have an 89 250r that Has been decked out, I have the frame guesseted, new cases, just rebuilt top end, and everything on is ment for an 89 250r. I have atleast 13,000 in it if you are looking to buy one. I am looking to maybe get 4,300 for it. Click on the 89 250r in my sig o see some pics of it, I have more done to it snice then. But it wil give you an idea of waht it looks like.

TX400ex-250r
08-21-2005, 03:38 PM
check out mine. I'm not that far from ya, and I can give you
info of all that is in it and contact info of the guy who built this thing. The motor wasn't even together when I bought it. He was in the process of building it for his wife, but she broke her leg and coulndn't kick it, so it was put on the back-burner. I looked at it, he told me to come back in two weeks and it would be together. And the rest is history.

Jingle #11
08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
heres the deal. Are any of you wanting to trade? if so i have a 04 rm-z 250 with some mods. very low hours. i barley ride it cuz i used to race quads and sold it for a bike. I cant get comfortable on it like i was on my quad. Its perfect. If you would want to trade please let me know if not i will need to sell it which i already have it up for sale. I like both of the r's.

Jingle #11
08-26-2005, 10:49 AM
anyone interested?