PDA

View Full Version : Counter balancer??

Pro1200
08-10-2005, 07:09 PM
How do I check to make sure my counter balancer is lined up??? Are there two dots that have to be matched together?? Also can I get pics for this??

I took off the clutch cover and went to take off the clutch and got as fas as the washer and lock nut on the clutch because I don't have the special grabbit tool. I ended up with a broken clutch basket. Now how do I remove the locknut, washer, and lockwasher with out that tool???

Also do you think this is the cause of extra vibration, I had on my engine, which caused me to have broken engine mounts?

I will get pics of it soon.

Thanks,

David

TRX370R
08-10-2005, 07:47 PM
There is a dot on the counter balancer and a dot on the crankshaft gear that has to be lined up with eachother. As far as the clutch basket nut I have always just zipped mine off with a impact gun. You could also wedge a penny between the clutch basket gear and the crankshaft gear and loosen it that way as suggested in the Clymer manual. A broken clutch basket could cause a vibration. Also if it is a larger bore/stroke motor it will start to vibrate more then a stock engine because the counter balancer is no longer heavy enough to offset the increased weight of the piston/crank/rod assembly.

stever250r
08-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Exactly what he said. The dots on the two gears should mesh at the same time. I also have just always used a impact for the clutch basket nut. If you dont have air... find someone with an electric impact.

Check your counter balancer bearings for wear..also be sure to pull the stator cover and check the L/H counter balancer mount. It has 3 ears with 8mm bolts tapped into the case. The ears on this mount are notorious to break off right behind the mount bolts. This could also be a cause for some of your vibration. Just something else you might check.

Steve

Pro1200
08-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Ok I did what you said to do guys. So once I get the new inner cluch hub, I will try out the R and see if that was what the problem was.

-David

Rich250RRacer
08-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by stever250r
Exactly what he said. The dots on the two gears should mesh at the same time. I also have just always used a impact for the clutch basket nut. If you dont have air... find someone with an electric impact.

Check your counter balancer bearings for wear..also be sure to pull the stator cover and check the L/H counter balancer mount. It has 3 ears with 8mm bolts tapped into the case. The ears on this mount are notorious to break off right behind the mount bolts. This could also be a cause for some of your vibration. Just something else you might check.

Steve

There are two dots on the crank gear, one to line up the gear to the crank (the inner dot), and the outer to line up with the balancer.