PDA

View Full Version : serious riders question

blakefoote
08-10-2005, 06:27 PM
this is for all the serious riders. How much do you practice and train weekly. I have started to train and practice bout every day of the week bout 1 hour non-stop and like maybe bout another 30min.(I know that is very weak) but i kinda wanna see how much other guys train because I dont have a track but practice my turning and strait aways alot. thats my weaknesses. So give me ur opinion.:ermm:

pikey21
08-10-2005, 06:40 PM
start runing and lifting it will help alot

MXRACER86
08-10-2005, 08:58 PM
I can't afford to ride everyday:(

powerstroke
08-10-2005, 10:32 PM
you are on the right track. keep practicing your weaknesses until they are no longer weak points. try alternating time on the quad with other types of exercises like mountain or road biking, lifting weights, running etc. Make sure you are eating right. also Training on the quad wont do you much good if you dont train with intensity. push yourself for long periods of time. Anybody can go fast when they are fresh but still being able to carry speed 30, 45 or even 90 minutes into a ride is the difference between champions and beginners. good luck and hope it helps. Matt

jhoppa
08-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I race XC which last 1.5 to two hours.

I ride my mountain/road bicycle 3-4 times a week for at least 1.5 hours.

Protein drinks every morning

Work out with weights once a week. 10-15 reps and 3 sets

I am still not fast.... But at least I can get off the ATV after the race and feel a lot better than before I was doing this.

Endurance is the key!!!

blakefoote
08-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by powerstroke
you are on the right track. keep practicing your weaknesses until they are no longer weak points. try alternating time on the quad with other types of exercises like mountain or road biking, lifting weights, running etc. Make sure you are eating right. also Training on the quad wont do you much good if you dont train with intensity. push yourself for long periods of time. Anybody can go fast when they are fresh but still being able to carry speed 30, 45 or even 90 minutes into a ride is the difference between champions and beginners. good luck and hope it helps. Matt

Dude thanks i realy appriciate it!;)

duke416ex
08-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Be careful of how you lift weights. I was lifting a while back, taking protien shakes everyday and multi vitamins. I switched a lot of fat to muscle, but I also gained 20 pounds. I gained a lot of strength, but not really endurance. You just need to do exercises that build some endurance as well as strength. I hav a friend who races bikes and he works out some in the pool, for resistance. Switch up what you do every now and then, run the track backwards, just spend the evening riding wheelies stuff like that.

I also know it is hard to get people to ride with you, but try to cause you may think you are really improving, but if someone else is riding with you you can really see where and what else still needs work.

JRP
08-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by powerstroke

agreed

Shawn H
08-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I start with a proper Diet thats important!!

I train 5-6 days a week. I start with a good stretching session, move onto a 150 situps,(need to address your core for racing) And I do 100 pushups.

Next I run 3-6 miles my average is 5 miles a day. then I bike 7 miles on hilly terrain and for the weekend I bike 13-30 miles Sat or Sunday depending on time and how I feel.

I also ride once a week at race speed for at least an hour if I have no races.

I also use an arm pump machine I made for 10 minutes everyday>

This is really working for me and I have gained a ton of endurance as well as loose a few extra pounds.

In the winter I will train with some free weights after Im done with my cardio>

IOWAracer
08-12-2005, 09:20 PM
As Snowgasm said a proper diet is a great start heart Problems run in my family and I am already having the effects at 16 I ahve a very very healthy diet. I work out 3 days a week for 2 hours Practise every day 30 laps 15 clock-wise 15 counter clock-wise, which really helps I seemed to prefer to turn left rather than right but now I am equally great at both and the track is about 3 miles. Now that football has started I am lacking every day practise but make up for it on sat and sun when I am not racing. I have trouble with keepinga consistent pace so i work on keeping a 4th or 5th gear 3/4 throttle at times 6th pinned liek on starts which is ahrd to practice witha broken battery cable ( thank god my drive way is steep gets a good start).

Hey snowgasm waht did you amek your arm pump machine out of.

Broc Bromley IATVHSS #128

Shawn H
08-13-2005, 08:19 PM
A pair of handle bars, a heavy duty fan motor with a weight welded to it to vibrate and mounted it all together.

10 MINUTES and you got a serious arm pump my forearms are like popeye afterwards:devil:

IOWAracer
08-13-2005, 08:29 PM
IM gona make one my self I dont get bad arm pump do to weight lifting but if it can help what little i do get taht would be great.

Shawn H
08-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Weight lifting IMO caused my arm pump,When I was younger I lifted alot too.So now Im a little to big for endurance racing> Training does help tho and your like 16-17? Wait when your 30 you let me know how you feel then from racing!

Being a mechanic on heavy trucks and Working with Pnuematic tools at my job wrecks havoc on your body!!I can send ya a pic if ya need to see what it looks like> Also a normal fan motor will not work it will die quickly:D

lostcreekz450
08-15-2005, 08:33 PM
well really unless you have no job and yuour own practice track you cant get enough practice jsut ride as much as possible.
me i ride when ever i can witch is not a hole lot as of now.
so i make up for it in time and intenstiy.

( i ride till i run out of gas {5 gall of vp at a time} and i ride all day hard as i possible an )

tater_kamik
08-25-2005, 02:29 AM
i dont race really, but i notice a huge difference in my stamina and my ability to throw around my quad if i am lifting or not. im a pretty small guy at 150lbs and i can throw around my quad decently for a while as long as i have been working out my entire body (this includes things often left out such as the back)

lostcreekz450
08-25-2005, 05:24 PM
IF YOU WORK OUT ALOT 150 CAN BE BIGG I WRESTLE AT 152 AND IM HUGE

Shawn H
08-26-2005, 08:44 PM
LMAO:rolleyes:

tater_kamik
08-27-2005, 04:00 AM
thats nice, and how tall are you? b/c im 5'11"

prepracing
08-27-2005, 04:35 AM
sounds like everybody is on the right track, just from racing GNCC's I have scene for XC racing endurance is the key. So ride time,exercise training, and a good diet ( especially the days leading up to a race ) are all key factors. You may not be the fastest but if you are in good shape and can stay consistent you will see the laptimes getting much quicker and your name going to the top.

Loser450
08-27-2005, 08:24 AM
When I went to Joe Byrds school, at the end he made us run one lap, bike three laps, and then ride five laps. That was a workout for my fatass. if I did that everyday I'd be a lean mean SOB. He also stressed a healthy diet.

lostcreekz450
08-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
thats nice, and how tall are you? b/c im 5'11"

5 10

stevo450
08-27-2005, 08:54 PM
i think u r doing good...................i have a track down the road that i can practice on every sunday...........but it sucks...................but i have a nother problem im starting to race and i weigh a 100 pounds.im only 5'4..............its hard to do but im a quit like kid

tater_kamik
08-28-2005, 01:50 PM
having a track close definately helps, im lucky b/c theres one about 15 minutes away, and 2 more within 45 minutes away.

fastrider450r
09-01-2005, 08:13 PM
im about 5' 10" and weight 115 and whip my 450r around really well and i have never raced it yet but have raced a 300ex and after a 1.5 hour race it gets tiring so im starting more of a workout program now. Im also trying a steering stabilizer and Flexx bars. well see how they do to get rid of arm pump???

XCRACER26
09-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Loser450
When I went to Joe Byrds school, at the end he made us run one lap, bike three laps, and then ride five laps. That was a workout for my fatass. if I did that everyday I'd be a lean mean SOB. He also stressed a healthy diet.

How was that school i've been looking at that and pondering.:)
was it worth it? I'm racing pro class next year and I'm only 15 so i need to get more practice.

lostcreekz450
09-05-2005, 09:44 PM
:huh :chinese:

yoshz400rider
09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
your racing pro class?? at 15 in what series certainly not a GNC or GNCC series since you must be 16 to ride something that size.

lostcreekz450
09-07-2005, 01:02 PM
tho i completley disagree with him being a pro he did indeed say NEXT YEAR? whats you name. and number i wanna see if ur telling the truth

XCRACER26
09-07-2005, 01:44 PM
I will be sixteen next season. Its the oma xc series. Being pro in that sries is like A or B class in the Gncc. Have you guys ever heard of the Moose Run? Its in the Midwest. Not like Tim Farr or Chris Borich. Man I wish i was that fast and had that much money and Sponsors.

yoshz400rider
09-07-2005, 04:00 PM
ok this is possible although there are several fast guys from out that way also.

XCRACER26
09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Rob Zimmerman, Patrick Lunde There faster than me and most. Very Good riders.

crazycray200
09-12-2005, 12:29 AM
i used to practicing 1 a week but now i race i dont bother cause you no were you go wrong so you inprove on it

JandJRacingKFX
09-19-2005, 06:55 PM
im sorry but that last one made no sense. How can you improve with no practice??

lostcreekz450
09-19-2005, 06:58 PM
well if you race district races every weekend sat and sunday when ur not at nationals. but u only get as good as ur riding time alows so depends how u read what he rote i thnk it makes no sense also though haha

crazycray200
09-20-2005, 12:28 AM
i does make scence cause you learn from mistakes dont you???

balzout
09-20-2005, 02:51 AM
weight lifting is not really the key to wining!when i raced the gncc i lifted heavy 5"8 175 and bench 320 but everthing pumped up my arms my shoulders etc.i raced open a with santo and ran a few local races with some pros and for much of the race i was right there in front but towards the end my body would give out.at the end of the races i had a hard time just letting go of the handle bars lol.riding is the key as hard as you can and as much as possible.find that steady medium and pace yourself geting faster more consistant with time. diet before a race is a must drink as much fluilds as possible days before and the day of.but dont go overboard you'll be stopping to take a leak half way during the race.i found spegetti or something high in carbs help the night before.if you do lift make it high reps lots of sets to build endurance but you wil not get big more lean than anything and tone.but thats what you want but try to keep a decent amount a bodyfat to maintain health below 5% is very unhealthy. and dangerous.