PDA

View Full Version : Cam trouble

redlined94
08-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Well I got my hotcam stage 2 and the shim kit today and i started installin it everything was goin smooth plastic came off fast valve cover no problem cam assembly no problem new cam in then i got to he friggin valve clearance part. I still havent figured it out about the 4th guess on the shim thickness I went to hand tighten the cam assembly back down and a freakin bolt snapped in half. luckily the threads were stickin out and i could get it out, but now I am out a friggin bolt and I gotta wait to get one and I am stuck on how to shim this stupid thing. Really thought it would go easy for me but I guess thats just my luck. PLus its hard as hell to get the feeler gauge into the intake valves to check clearance unless its just hard cuz I am way off but I dont know. I needed to vent that out so I am good now. I will start lookin for a bolt and what not. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it goin.

redlined94
08-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Guys with the cams. Does your cam chatter? Cuz i could swear that i have my shimming right but i just started it up to listen for chatter and they are singing like a tap dancer. So any help here would be appreciated. I also already have the link to the HRC power up kit install so no need to post that. Also i just put the valve cover on with the two bolts that are intact and i bolted the cam assembly with the 3 of 4 bolts since one broke there too, so could that be a reason why its chatterin?

Doak450r
08-12-2005, 01:53 AM
not the smartest thing starting that with only 3 of the bolts but hey its you money

08-12-2005, 01:53 AM
the hotcams and most aftermarket cams are supposedly very noisy. I have never heard one though

redlined94
08-12-2005, 04:17 AM
Well I only let it start for like not even 3 seconds just to make sure the timing wasnt out of wack. But anyways. I have heard the HRC cam before and it didnt knock that bad so I dont know.

joedirt
08-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Make sure you have the decompression release on right. Double check everything and you'll be good to go.

OKTRX450R
08-12-2005, 12:44 PM
I would definitely replace the bolt and then listen to it...that has to make a difference. I do not notice the HRC cam being louder then factory...replace the bolt, check all valve and decompressor clearances and go from there...

Did you apply the moly/oil to the lobes and roller?

redlined94
08-12-2005, 03:04 PM
I didnt do the moly/oil thing. Is that a vital part of the install? If it is I will go back and put some of that on. I was wondering if those missing bolts could cause some noise but i wasnt sure. I didnt let it run long but it was long enough to hear the clicking. I am pretty sure I have the shimming good. Not completely sure though i guess.

cals400ex
08-13-2005, 01:58 AM
you need to get the other bolt. if you don't have a torque wrench, you need one! torque these bolts down to 10 ft-lbs in a criss cross pattern. they break easy, sometimes if you are less than the recommend torque. they valve clearance will not be accurate if all of the bolts are not in place a tightened to the specified torque. the decompression assembly needs adjusted too with the hrc cam. i have no idea what the hotcam requires. the hrc cam requires 0.25mm + exhaust valve clearance. this should be 0.25mm + 0.28mm if i remember correctly.

redlined94
08-13-2005, 12:51 PM
I have a torque wrench. it was set at 10 ft/lbs when that bolt snapped. Why is it necessary to put that moly/oil paste on the lobes and valves. I didnt do that but now I feel like i should go back and do it.

OKTRX450R
08-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Not saying you have to go back and do it...but if it is still apart I would do it. The Oil/Moly is only to facilitate the break in on the cam. I would think their would be less noise upon initial start up just because of the friction modification being performed...definitely get the bolt in, I would apply Oil/Moly, then put it back together and give it a start.

redlined94
08-16-2005, 03:44 PM
I found a buddy that has some moly paste so I borrowed it from him and i am gonna go back and do everything in that solution. thanks for the help though. I am hopin this works out. I still havent got my bolts that i ordered so I am still waiting on those.

cals400ex
08-17-2005, 01:44 AM
i always just pour oil over the cam, rockers, springs, and moving parts before i put the head cover back on.

redlined94
08-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Well i got my bolts in and i went out there an finished up. I got everything back together and rode it for a while then let it cool down thenm rode it a little bit more and checked the valves and they were a little bit off so i adjusted again but it still ticks. I know i have the valves set good but it still ticks. I torqued all of the bolts down to what they are supposed to be and everything. Do the hotcams just make a little noise or do I need to go back and adjust yet again?

cals400ex
08-19-2005, 01:09 AM
i thought i heard the hotcams are a little ticky in this bike but maybe i am dreaming. my hrc cam doesn't tick louder than stock. actually, i think it is quieter but then again it could be because my stock valve clearances were off.

redlined94
08-19-2005, 01:35 AM
Well to tell ya the truth i have my valves set as close as i can get them. If i go a little more or less each way then its either too loose or too tight so i just went in between. It does click a little bit so I dont know if its just the hotcam or what. I still have about 30 min. left on break in so maybe it will quit after it gets set in.

Wisc 04 TRX450r
09-04-2005, 01:49 PM
i recently installed a hotcam stage 2 shimmed it out and after putting everything back together it was verydifficult to kick over. How do I fix the problem

rowlrag
09-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Wisc 04 TRX450r
i recently installed a hotcam stage 2 shimmed it out and after putting everything back together it was verydifficult to kick over. How do I fix the problem
I have done numerous HRC and a few Sparks cams, the Hrc has a plating like chrome on the lobes, had 1 that flaked off. I have done 1 Hot cam, and it is not plated, and it ticked none of the others did but the Hot cam's are hardened differently I believe. I feel the plating on the stock and HRC cams acts like a damper between the cam and buckets and cam to exhaust roller, making them quieter. The easiest way I've found to adjust the decompressor, is to back it all the way off so it doesn't interfere with valve adjust., set the valves. Like the manual says the exhaust should be .011 plus or minus .001, so if you are at .011, the decompressor is .006. Meaning, place a .011 feeler guage in between the rocker and shim and a .006 between the decompressor bolt and rocker USING BOTH FEELERS AT the same time get it? Therefore if you took out the .011 feeler, you should be able to fit a .017 feeler between the decompressor and rocker. Does this help? A tighter decompressor will crank over easier, one too loose will make it HARDER to crank.

Jersey450R
09-05-2005, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
the hotcams and most aftermarket cams are supposedly very noisy. I have never heard one though
yea, my buddies hotcams stage2 chatters like an old 250x that never had the valves adjusted :eek2:

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 11:58 AM
This pic is from the HRC manual, as you can read, It states in bold letters, "Decompressor clearance, Adjusted valve clearance + 0.25 +or - 0.02mm (0.010 +or- 0.0008 in)"

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Second description, from

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Page 4-10 of the Honda service manual.

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 12:10 PM
You are correct that it says now where about using 2 feeler guages. I am simply filling in a "GRAY AREA" of the manual. There are 2 ways to do it after the valve clearances have been set, 1 hold the roller on the exhaust rocker against the cam with 1 hand, while with your other 2 hands adjust decompressor adjuster to .006 stock cam or .010 HRC cam.
OR 2, place an .011 feeler guage between rocker and valve, and another feeler guage of .006 or .010 (which ever cam your using) between rocker and decomp adjuster. I prefer the second way, as I don't have a 3rd hand.

cals400ex
09-05-2005, 02:07 PM
just remember that the honda manual states the clearance for the stock cam. the hrc manual will state the clearance for the hrc cam and stock cam. you already know this rowlrag, but i am sharing this for others.

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
just remember that the honda manual states the clearance for the stock cam. the hrc manual will state the clearance for the hrc cam and stock cam. you already know this rowlrag, but i am sharing this for others.
The first pic is from the HRC kit manual.

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
Another thought, if your way is correct ,then why don't you just stick a .017 or .021 feeler gauge between the rocker and the decompressor if you already know that the exhaust clearance is set at .011?
It's Honda's way, as I said in my first post if you are at .011, than you can use only one .017 feeler guage between decomp and rocker for stock cam. HRC should be right at .021. I know your having trouble figuring this out, because believe me I spent ALOT of time trying to understand it myself talk about bein PO'ed at myself!

I can't figure out how you did it this way and broke it? Unless when you did it you had the roller on the opposite end of decomp arm resting on the little actuator piece on the end of cam, I've done that once or twice but found the prob., after triple checking my work.

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Ok, . Now after reading the manual AGAIN i have found where it says,( not directly now), to use 2 feeler guages or 1 the right thickness.

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Can you see the first sentence where it says: Insert a feeler guage equivalent to; right exhaust clearance + (PLUS) .006, Between the adjusting screw and rocker arm?

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Yes ,I see that and it adds to my confusement..
LOL, I know how you feel, I AM NOT trying to be an ***** like I said it took me awhile to figure it out too. But if you use only a .006 between adjuster and rocker you are taking away from your exhaust clearance both sides. when cranked the decomp mechanism cam flips open the wheel on the end hits a "bump" which momentarily pushes the rocker which pushes the vales open by about 5 thousanths to let out compression.

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 08:05 PM
It will not change the valve clearance..
Yes it will. If it wouldn't they would not have you take your measured clearance and add .006. I know it will because i've screwed up and done it.

The very first time I did it, I set the adjuster at .006, then remeasured the exhaust with .011 cause thats what I came up with and it would not fit, way to tight. Then after reading the manual for an hour, I figured it out.

honda350r
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Ok I am throwing in the towel untill I get back to the shop ..

Thanks for all the responses.. Hopefully the light comes on ..

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Did you quote yourself?

honda350r
09-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Did you quote yourself?

Yes ,because I wasn't thinking correctly .. I was just calling BS on my own post ..LOL

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 08:13 PM
LMAO :D

honda350r
09-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I deleted my post because I do not want to and to the confusion I have added to this thread.. I believe ROWLRAG is correct and I appreciate his comments .. Thanks

rowlrag
09-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Next time I do a valve check I'll do a right up, I have a camera that takes movies so maybe it'll be off that. Great talkin to ya Jim, he and I had a little confusion goin on but it's straight. For now what I have posted is straight from the Honda manual and is the way it is done if anyone needs a page from it just ask, there not that expensive tho. :D