PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket ignition

xlr810
08-10-2005, 12:35 PM
My CDI died on me...

Anyone have any experience with aftermarket ignitions vs. stock? I have looked into Dynatek and Vortex.

I'd like to get the best one for the least amount of money. Not sure if it is worthwhile to have multiple spark curves...

Thanks.

wilkin250r
08-10-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure what multiple spark curves will give you. You would think that there would be one optimal curve for your setup, so why do you need many?

However, an adjustable spark curve does indeed give you and advantage. The stock ignition timing is based on the stock displacement, compression, valve/port timing, ect. When you start changing things, you change the ignition requirements, and if you want the absolute best performance, adjustable timing curves are a must.

Mind you, I don't have any direct experience, so I can't tell you which is best, or give you any setup tips. But I have talked with several experts and they all agree. The stock ignition is not optimal for max performance on a built engine.

xlr810
08-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the insight Wilkin.

Anyone have any experience with the Vortex or Dynatek ignitions?

I find it hard to believe that everyone on here has always run stock CDIs. (though that has been true of me until now)

bobby bo
08-11-2005, 09:17 AM
i've been looking into the esr/cr250 ignition setup. its from a 2001 cr250(coil,stator,cdi)i've been told its one of the best,but cost $400.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-TRX-ATC-250R-ESR-CR250-COMPLETE-IGNITION_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43976QQitemZ45 66924644QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

xlr810
08-11-2005, 01:30 PM
The CR system is probably a good choice for you, but I need lighting...

I should probably back up a few steps, and explain the background on mine.

I have had intermittant electrical problems over the past couple of years. A number of times I have gone over all the connections, spec'd everything out according to the Honda manual, and always checks out ok.

Last year I threw a CDI off an 88 (mine's an 86) on it, and it seemed more responsive, and fouled plugs less often. thought I had it licked. has been on there ever since.

Other times, I'd get into some water, and it'll run poorly and not rev out all the way. Usually when I took the stator cover off I could find some moisture, so I attributed to that.

I also had my spark plug wire work its way loose from my coil which made it foul plugs and made it run pretty much unresponsively, very finicky on jetting. So, I installed a Janssen super coil. That was probably 8 months ago. Hard to tell if that helped at all, compared to when the wire was tight on the coil.

Last time out it would cut out and die intermittantly, would start if I got a tow, or put a brand new plug in it-- but couldn't get it to kickstart.

So, I re-cleaned all the connections, applied a little di-electric grease, and I switched over to the 88 wiring harness-- but since nothing was wrong with the 86 harness, it didn't seem to change anything.

I just installed a Ricky Stator 200w, with their lightened flywheel, and it wouldn't even start. No spark at all. I again follow the troubleshooting guide in the electrical section of the service manual, and it points me back to the CDI.

I plug in the 86 CDI and it starts right up and runs better than it has in months... But, I KNOW that old CDI cuts out when it gets wet. So I am back in the market for another CDI. Can't imagine I should need anything else electrical any time soon.

So, I've already got at least $400 tied up in electrical. Vortex seems to be the best available aftermarket CDI, but it is $400 alone. I can get a programmable DynaTek for $200, or their non-programmable for $100. The stock Honda is $90 from Service Honda.

So, again: I'd like to hear from someone who has used different CDIs to know whether they give any noticable performance boost, whether they are durable, and if they have good "fit". My motor is mildly ported, and used for XC-- so performance is important, but dependability ranks higher with me.

XANDADA
08-12-2005, 05:01 PM
ricky stator makes a light kit for the esr/cr250r ignition I think...

xlr810
08-12-2005, 09:32 PM
I went ahead and ordered the DynaTek "standard" CDI today. Won't be programmable, but for only $10 more than a new OEM CDI, I couldn't resist. I'll be my own guinea pig yet again. Supposedly it has up to 800% more spark energy that oem, with a better curve. I'll let you know how it works on my Ricky stator flywheel and stator.

Think I should keep using my Janssen Super Coil with it, or go back to the stock coil?

tx_250r
08-12-2005, 10:12 PM
how did you like the ricky stator kit and how was the fly wheel.
i was thinking about the same thing right now i have a fmf pipe, jansen coil, k&n no box, and roost boost, 38mm a/s ,and just installed a new exhuast flange and got a cfm cooler not yet installed.

xlr810
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the boards tx_250r.

To be honest, I just installed it-- and haven't even had a chance to ride it yet. I fired it up a couple of times, and it seems to rev more freely. I haven't added additional lights yet either, but is nice to know that I can.

Look and feel like first class parts. Approx same cost as buying new from Service Honda, but with some gain in performance.