PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about the dur-blue lowering kit?

400exstud
08-09-2005, 06:46 PM
I was go'n through the ol' rockymountain ATV catalog again and the dura-blue lowering kit caught my eye. The front costs $65 and it is and $90 for the better of the rear ones.

The main reason I was thinking of this is because I like to bomb around on the lake in the winter where suspension is useless.

Does anyone have any experience with this or other lowering kits?

http://www.durablue.com/prods_lowering_kits.shtml <<link for info

TC426EX
08-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Prety sure all that stuff is for flattrack TT racing. I have seen some people use the adjustable rear linkage bar in the back for MX, but not sure what it takes to make it work right

400exstud
08-10-2005, 11:08 AM
I was just ganna use it for the lake and rivers in the winter and take it off in the summer.

wilkin250r
08-10-2005, 01:40 PM
I've got both the front and the rear.

What kind of questions do you have?

Yes, the quad sits lower, and feels much more stable. Just this last weekend I was jumping between a 400EX lowered, and a stock 250x that wasn't lowered. Every time I jumped on the 250X, I felt like I was riding on stilts.

The front brackets are pretty strong, but not as strong as the stock setup. You can hit whoops and catch a little bit of air, but don't get crazy with it.

If you plan on switching back and forth, I highly suggest buying an additional pivot bearing for the rear linkage. That way, you only have to swap the linkage in and out, rather than pressing the bearing out each time. When not in use, store in a plastic bag to keep the bearing and grease from drying out.

400exstud
08-10-2005, 09:35 PM
That sounds great! I guess I will be getting both so that I can contintue to whoop up on my buddies. (stock 400ex, Z400, and rappy)

Does the front kit relocate the upper or lower shock mount?

How/what does the rear strut attach to?

TC426EX
08-11-2005, 06:26 AM
The front ones relocate the upper shock mount if Im not mistaken, and the rear is an actual linkage arm.

You have to adjust the length you want the rear linkage to be (would highly reccomend advice from someone since it will change how your shock handles)... and then you use it in place of the lower linkage arm

wilkin250r
08-11-2005, 10:24 AM
^^^ Correct on all counts.

One thing you have to look out for is major shock compression. The shock can only compress so far, then it becomes solid and won't compress any further. Ordinarily, this happens before any other damage can occur, your front shocks won't let your wheels travel far enough to break the ball joints. Your rear shock won't let your wheels come up far enough to hit your exhaust or crush your airbox.

However, with the lowering kit, those safegaurd limits are not in place anymore. It might be possible for your swingarm to hit your exhaust or airbox, you might compress your front shocks enough to hit your frame, or possibly even break your ball joints or tie-rods.

Then again, you shouldn't be jumping or doing anything like that with the lowering kit on anyways. It's just an issue to be aware of.