PDA

View Full Version : Header pipes

BANDIT TRX450
08-08-2005, 10:56 PM
I bought myself a yoshi TRS system a while back and I noticed that the header pipe was the same size in diameter as my stock one. I've seen several other systems like sparks(on a 450R) and yoshi's titanium (on a YFZ)have way bigger header pipes. I'm thinking about changing my exhaust system but I dont know if its worth the change. I wish I could just purchase sparks header pipe and fit it into my trs silencer but it wont fit.

I currently have a HRC cam, JE 13.5 stock bore piston, Yoshi trs exhaust, ESR box elimanator air kit.

I think a bigger header pipe would really work well with my higher compression piston what do you guys think?

08-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure but I would think a larger pipe would help with motor mods already done.

Pvt. Maggot
08-09-2005, 04:57 PM
It might look the same size but look inside. Theres usually welds in there and whatnot that restrict flow. I'm sure the yoshi flows much better then your stock headpipe. But are there any other aftermarket headers that are larger? I guess if you find one you can try it out and let everyone know. :)

Got nads?
08-09-2005, 08:05 PM
I know for sure that the sprks, and rossier headpipes are larger in diameter then the yoshimura headpipe. I sold my Yoshi to buy the rossier just to get the larger headpipe, and get atest that the rossier makes better mid and top the yoshi through the seat of th pants test! :D

BANDIT TRX450
08-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Anyone else have something they want to add?

370kingR
08-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Bigger does not mean its better. Different header pipe diameters and lengths make different power characteristics. A larger header pipe will ultimatly flow more thus making more top end power but will also lose throttle reponse. A smaller diameter pipe will enhance low end power and throttle respone but not pull as hard on top.

A good performing pipe will have a good balance between the two. What is good for one motor may not be good for another. Its all about matching performance engine parts together properly to get the desired power. Plain and simply put, you wouldnt put a more bottom end biased pipe on a top end cammed/ ported bike......

One more thing...thats why we see stepped headers now. Its a good balance between good exhaust velocity (small pipe coming out of the head) and mass flow (bigger steps later in the header)

onebad450r
08-11-2005, 06:32 PM
You have one of the first design Yoshi's....Yoshi has changed there head pipes on the new pipes.....the newer head pipes are stepped similar to the rossier but still not as big

370kingR
08-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by onebad450r
You have one of the first design Yoshi's....Yoshi has changed there head pipes on the new pipes.....the newer head pipes are stepped similar to the rossier but still not as big

AHHH i see. That Yosh is incredible light and sounds great though. Its not overly loud like some. Im not sure of the power it makes as i only mounted it on my bro's bike for 5 mins. We run the Pulse Charger. The P.C. just makes my 520 run great. :D

BANDIT TRX450
08-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by onebad450r

That sucks I wish they made it just a little bit fatter. I called yoshi to see if they can custom make me one and they it will slow you down bla, bla, bla I just hung up. Oh well, maybe if the pulse charger comes out with a nicer looking silencer then I may consider it but for now its:ermm: .