View Full Version : Need battery HelP!!!

bad01300ex
08-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Aight when i got my yfz used, the battery died on me, so i went out and bought a new one, the one in it was a 4lbs so i just got that agian, well i was runnin the the headlights off the bike and i read about the chaging so i put the headlights back on when the new battery died, well i got another one and now most of the time if the bike isnt already warmed up the battery wont even turn the engine over then just dies, so 4lbs is too small right??????? what battery should i get ?????and should i get the "resistor kit" how much is it???? i ride mx so i want to keep the headlights off.
Thanks

JDiablo
08-08-2005, 10:50 PM
maybe try charging the battery,ahh i remember reading something about this,i just cant remeber it!

bad01300ex
08-08-2005, 11:38 PM
the battery isnt dead, its brand new, but its not powerful enought to turn it over, so i have to roll it off and then it will fire right up, so i need a more powerful battery

Doober
08-09-2005, 12:44 AM
i had the same problem my battery would turn the engine over but it wouldnt start...someone told me it was my jetting, that it was to lean.

bad01300ex
08-09-2005, 08:24 AM
did you fix it?????????

Ride1Rob
08-09-2005, 11:09 AM
I've had my bike almost 2yrs. Took my lights off 6mos ago and about 3mos later my battery started acting up also. I'd charge the battery, run the bike for awhile and it'd go dead again. I put the lights back on and now run w/ them on everyonce in awhile and have no problems since.

Where can you get the resistor kits though? I hate the way my bike looks w/ those headlights:ermm: .

Pappy
08-09-2005, 12:02 PM
trail tech offers the kits,

and dont bank on the battery being charged or even good simply because its new. get some readings with a multimeter and post them.

Doober
08-09-2005, 04:34 PM
would plugging in just the wire and light bulb and taping it up do anyharm if you were to use electrical tape on it?

bad01300ex
08-12-2005, 12:13 AM
ok so is 4L-BS battery size too small??

Pappy
08-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by bad01300ex
ok so is 4L-BS battery size too small??

it doesnt have as much cranking power as stock. the upgrade that most closely fits the stock size is a ytz10

daddio
08-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by bad01300ex
the battery isnt dead, its brand new, but its not powerful enought to turn it over, so i have to roll it off and then it will fire right up, so i need a more powerful battery

"brand new" motorcycle batteries are not fully charged when you buy them. they need to be "deep cycle" charged before use. If they are not properly charged up when new, they never work right. They are NOT like car batteries.

Pappy
08-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by daddio
"brand new" motorcycle batteries are not fully charged when you buy them. they need to be "deep cycle" charged before use. If they are not properly charged up when new, they never work right. They are NOT like car batteries.

the #1 reason for new bike batteries to fail is the simple fact shops and dealerships do not allow the battery to sit for 24 hours before capping and charging. the newer batteries are AGM design and the acid takes time to fully absorb in the plates. waiting 24 hours assures complete absorbtion and you will usually get full life from the unit.

the latest trend is factory activated units, they are truly sealed and charged at the factory. this is fine except too many of them sit on shelves and sulfate.

charging rates for a new bike battery should never exceed 5 amps initially and for no longer then 1 hour. 2 amps on a cyclic charger is best.