PDA

View Full Version : hot cam stgII/shim thickness

speedracer400
08-08-2005, 08:58 PM
anyone got any shim size's to suggest? I'm tryin to order my cam and shim's same time:confused: I was told general guideline +/- 1 size from stock. tryin to down time min.what is stock thickness? thanks

bobbo97f150
08-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Uhhh, it doesn't work like that. You will only know what sizes you need after you install the cam. Most quads are gonna have different size shims in each bucket. The only way to order the correct shim sizes and cam at the same time is to order the $70 HotCams shim kit with your cam.

cals400ex
08-08-2005, 10:17 PM
i would definately get the shim kit too. the bikes won't come with the same sized shims. each is different

370kingR
08-09-2005, 04:10 AM
I have tried alot of cams and id have to say i find that the intakes on most were around the 160-165 range and the exhaust were around the 240ish range.

As stated above, it could really be anything and you have to try some to find out what you really need, but id say try the 160 and 240 first.

One helpful piece of advice is not to put your timing chain on and you only have to "hand" torque your cam carrier bolts so you can quickly remove the unit to try different shims. Obviously the engine and cam must be in the TDC position when checking. Have a little magnet handy to suck those little annouying shims out of the retainer pocket.