PDA

View Full Version : help fast, RPM axle problem

roostin_dale
08-08-2005, 08:38 PM
I put a new RPM carrier, axle, and locknut on my 450r, but now the sprocket bolts rub the carrier...and the sprocket is too far to the right by about 1/4 an inch...any help?:confused:

0VER LAND 450R
08-08-2005, 08:52 PM
does it spin freely?? you might have over tighten the outer part of the lock nut.. Just wondering arnt the sprocket hubs suppost to rub the carrier????---i dont no

roostin_dale
08-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 0VER LAND 450R
does it spin freely?? you might have over tighten the outer part of the lock nut.. Just wondering arnt the sprocket hubs suppost to rub the carrier????---i dont no \\

no i didnt overitghten it. And no the sprocket hub isnt suppose to rub, but thats not the problem, the sprocket BOLTS are hitting the carrier (yes i have them in the right way)

416exmx
08-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Do you have a carrier that is supposed to have wide or twin row bearings in it and someone accidently but narrow bearings in it? That is what it sounds like maybe. Did you double check and make sure all the parts are for a 450r?

416exmx
08-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
\\

no i didnt overitghten it. And no the sprocket hub isnt suppose to rub, but thats not the problem, the sprocket BLOTS are hitting the carrier (yes i have them in the right way)

The head of the bolts should be tapered and the sprocket should be tapered and very little of the head should stick out. Im not looking at a R right now, just going from memory.

roostin_dale
08-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Yes cody, I did make sure they were all 450r parts. I orderd the RPM twin row carrier direct, what should the bearings look like?

roostin_dale
08-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
The head of the bolts should be tapered and the sprocket should be tapered and very little of the head should stick out. Im not looking at a R right now, just going from memory.

yes i have that setup correctly also. I have no idea what is wrong, normally i can put a rear end together with my eyes closed..

416exmx
08-08-2005, 09:37 PM
yes i have that setup correctly also. I have no idea what is wrong, normally i can put a rear end together with my eyes closed..

Yeah there isnt anything hard about it at all. That is why I am thinking maybe you had something for a 400ex or wrong bearings. I am not familiar with RPM carriers but the problem seems to be the area on the axle where it butts up to the bearings. See what I am saying, if the bearings are in too far or are narrower than they should be, then the axle will set in farther to the right. Or if the area on the axle where it butts up to the bearing is narrower then it wil set to far to the right again. One of my CRF quads I had the axle machined where it set in as far right as possible to help align the chain. I think 1/8" was machined off and it rubbed the carrier just a tad. So I know what you are talking about and since axle instillation is simple, it sounds like wrong parts.

roostin_dale
08-08-2005, 09:39 PM
thats exactly what i was thinking cody!...damn that sucks, if i dont race this weekend i can kiss the district championship goodbye!:(

Think i can rent or borrow one of your carriers and axle for the weekend? haha:cool:

roostin_dale
08-08-2005, 09:48 PM

Think i can rent or borrow one of your carriers and axle for the weekend? haha:cool:

please! :confused: lmao!

416exmx
08-08-2005, 09:50 PM
thats exactly what i was thinking cody!...damn that sucks, if i dont race this weekend i can kiss the district championship goodbye!:(

LOL yeah if I had anything is stock I would.

Do you have a stock axle to take measurements from to see if its the axle or the carrier? Is there any problems on the other side with the antifade? I mean I am guessing there is 1/8" too much sticking out on the other side? If you want to race, go to a machine shop and have a spacer machined and just slide it over the axle where it spaces the axle back out. The bearing rides on the axle itself so this spacer wont hurt anything in there.

roostin_dale
08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
LOL yeah if I had anything is stock I would.

Do you have a stock axle to take measurements from to see if its the axle or the carrier? Is there any problems on the other side with the antifade? I mean I am guessing there is 1/8" too much sticking out on the other side? If you want to race, go to a machine shop and have a spacer machined and just slide it over the axle where it spaces the axle back out. The bearing rides on the axle itself so this spacer wont hurt anything in there.

I dont have any stock parts man. Do you think that machining a part would hold up? there is a 115 foot double i hit at this track, i dont want to break anything by doing it..

416exmx
08-08-2005, 10:01 PM
yeah it wouldnt hurt anything in there. I just sold my Walsh 450r or you could just borrow it.....(yeah right)lol

I have a stock axle if that will do you any good. I can measure in the morning and see if its your axle or your carrier. If you still have my number give me a call around 9am if you need the measurements.

roostin_dale
08-08-2005, 10:06 PM
ok man, i have your number. I am calling RPM first thing in the morning, if we dont get the problem fixed i will give you a call..thanks again man

roostin_dale
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM
RPM has been very cool about this whole thing. They said they will machine a spacer for me and next day air it so i can make it to the race this weekend!

bradley300
08-09-2005, 09:58 AM
nice, its always nice to hear how a company deals with a customer after the sale

roostin_dale
08-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
nice, its always nice to hear how a company deals with a customer after the sale

RPM is a great company, Troy (form RPM) just called me back and said he grabbed a new carrier and axle and had it in his hand the same time he was talking to me, he said he was having the same problem with it. I explained ot him and said i could not miss my race this weekend, and he was very understanding. He said no matter what he will have me enw parts by friday for free of charge! Great company!