PDA

View Full Version : next quad?

redexrider4290
08-08-2005, 08:00 PM
i have a 250ex right now with a hmf full and my brother has a 400ex and now im thinking about getting a new quad but i don;t know wat to get i like the 400 but i don;t like not havein reverse but i don;t mind it to much and i think i could get one pretty cheap and to tell you the truth if i got a bike i would want it to be something to keep for a while and the 400 seems a bit under powerd still i think iwant something with a little more spunk i was also thinking about a shee but i don;t like a2 strokes then i was really thinkin about a raptor you know 660cc reverse could get cheap but i would like to stick with HONDA and i think a 450 is to expensive so wat do you guys think would be a good bike for me

i am 15 i have a pretty good job would proboly be a while before i could get another quad(might be able to afford payments on a 450 in a couple years) i am like 5 10 150 lbs like doing jumps but nothing really extreme LOVE riding wheelies and going fast always want a bike to have more power 65-70 mph is fast enough for me do alot of fast trail riding hopeing to get into some racin a couple years

wat do you guys think

JRP
08-08-2005, 08:13 PM
z400 or a kfx 400.

bad01300ex
08-08-2005, 08:15 PM
yfz thats all u need

YFZ450Ridr
08-08-2005, 08:16 PM
sounds like you need a z400/kfx400. i was in the exact same boat as you 3 months ago. i would of gotten a 450 but i really didnt like no reverse because i ride tight trails and in some situations its a must for me. a raptor is also a good bike if you dont want a 450 or 400. pretty much like a z400 but its got more balls. a 400 really isnt underpowered. i can lug mine around all day in trails and what not.

AlbaKFX
08-08-2005, 08:21 PM
I second the Z/KFX 400. YFZ's suck for trails... no reverse, uncomfortable, weird power, etc. YFZ's are RACE BIKES, not trail quads. The Z was made to be a trail bike, and it does it very well. You can only go so fast in the trails, so comfort and reverse are the top of the list IMO.

Plus, if you ever get tired of the power (going on one year of owning my KFX, coming off a 250ex and I still love the power and modding it out to my needs) theres TONS of semi-cheap go-fast goodies and you could easily pull the horse and torque of a 450 bike & then some with a bore kit.

Raptors are also nice bikes, but their heavier and bigger overall than a Z so you need some muscle and mainly weight to throw around on it or you just won't get it to handle like the smaller sport quads.

redexrider4290
08-08-2005, 08:28 PM
alright so it sounds like you guys thinkg i should get a z or kfx i don;t really know if i would get a kfx just because i don;t like kawi that much but maybe

so how does a z compare in power to a 400ex

how does a piped jetted and intake z compare in power to a 450r
could i get one for pretty cheap (lookin for 3500 adn under) and are they comfortable jumping and is it easy to wheelie on them

Chino
08-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by redexrider4290
alright so it sounds like you guys thinkg i should get a z or kfx i don;t really know if i would get a kfx just because i don;t like kawi that much but maybe

could i get one for pretty cheap (lookin for 3500 adn under) and are they comfortable jumping and is it easy to wheelie on them

test ride it before you buy it and you can answer all of those questions for yourself...

AlbaKFX
08-08-2005, 09:02 PM
A Piped and properly jetted Z vs. a 450R... equal riders, the Z will lose. Z rider being slightly better... still a toss up. You have to be a good rider to beat those 450 bikes in a drag, but in woods & trails it will 98% depend on rider.

If you're crazy in the woods, you will be guarenteed to lose any bike. I've torn up many a 450 in tight woods because I really don't mind tapping a tree at 40 and getting to be like superman for awhile. :huh

They are very well balanced in the air from what i've gathered (40footers at most is what ive done) and wheelies with them are great. One of the CVBoyz, I dont remember his name exactly and don't want to eff it up, opted for a Z400 in paved freestyle over a 400ex.

YFZ450Ridr
08-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by redexrider4290

stock for the stock, the suzuki is a better machine. better suspension, liquid cooling, about the same handling and its got reverse if your buying used. you can get a good 1 for around 4 grand. mine wheelies GREAT i can go for as long as u want me to on wheelies and run the gears. jumps pretty nice but you find the limits fast with stock suspension. its not really comparable to a 450r. 450s are made to race like some1 said earlier. the 450 has a quicker powerband and a higher top speed. the 450 isnt my bag of chips though, no reverse and its got a wierd powerband that i just cant get used to. i love my z for trails i can say that much, couldnt be happier.

redexrider4290
08-08-2005, 09:22 PM
you say you qiuckly find the limits but im used to rideing on 250 suspention and the z has to be alot beter than that and im getting used to the 400ex and i like that suspention but it aint the best but it is still good, well could a z run with a raptor cuz i got a freind that is thinking of gettin one of those

RAPTOR80RACR990
08-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Go with the YFZ.:D

Punk'd
08-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Yeah, deff go with a 400.