PDA

View Full Version : Roll Design A-arms

400exrider0004
08-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Does anyone have the roll design a-arms on there bike. If you do could you tell me how they ride! I was also wondering how much +2 arms would cost!!!

Thanks

250R Baja Rider
08-08-2005, 08:50 PM
I have them on my raptor and 250r. I love them.
They are expensive but worth the money.

Second to Roll, I would consider Hermann Racing.

0VER LAND 450R
08-08-2005, 08:54 PM
how much are hermanns ??

250R Baja Rider
08-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Check it out at hermannracing.com

They have different prices whether you want long travel, standard travel, camber only, etc.

I paid close to $600 for my hermann's for a 250r (standard travel).
The long travels are close to $800.
$1200 for the Roll Design long travel.

250R Baja Rider
08-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Opps, it's herrmannracing.com I think

Quad18star
08-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Althought Roll Design has nice looking products ... I think their price is way out of line ... especially after seeing something like this ....

QuadJunkies
08-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Althought Roll Design has nice looking products ... I think their price is way out of line ... especially after seeing something like this .... :eek:

Tommy 17
08-09-2005, 08:23 AM
that was at the AWRCS 6 hour race this saturday... i was there and saw them in 1st person... the guy said he didn't even hit anything that hard:confused: :ermm:

bradley300
08-09-2005, 08:52 AM
as much as i thik roll design is over priced, it is good quality stuff and that could have happened to any brand

250R Baja Rider
08-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Wow, I have never seen that happen before.

I race in the desert and have hit big rocks and never seen.
All of my friends use Roll design arms and never had a problem.

No one is perfect so this could happen I guess.

TC426EX
08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
I think roll is overpriced...

Nothing really special about those arms if you ask me...

If I was gonna spend 1200 on arms, theyd be walsh

Much rather spend around 7-800 for a good set of Laeger LT's

300ex73
08-09-2005, 09:25 AM
They may have broken, but look at those things. From the pic they look so rusted out it that it wouldn't surprise me if they broke. When your $hit starts to get rusted like that, you oughtta have it checked just so you know that it isn't going to snap like that.

rob-u/21
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I have Roll on my 440ex and have Roll on the bikes I've raced in baja and I will say I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I do admit that roll is high priced but it is also TOP OF THE LINE. I have put my arms through so much punishment and are still in great condition.

QuadJunkies
08-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
I think roll is overpriced...

Nothing really special about those arms if you ask me...

If I was gonna spend 1200 on arms, theyd be walsh

Much rather spend around 7-800 for a good set of Laeger LT's

I agree, Roll is on the spendy side.. BUT.. a freind who is local has had nothing but issues with alot of his Walsh parts.... I think its just luck of the draw sometimes too...

08-09-2005, 09:47 AM
That looks like an abboration more than a normal occurance. While my allegiance in suspension lies elsewhere, I'd buy Roll in a minute.

You can find a failure in any product, and the more people that use a particuar product, the higher likelyhood that there will eventually be more failures.

Remember, you don't have to hit anything too hard to cause damage, most times you have to hit just right.

250R Baja Rider
08-09-2005, 09:55 AM
If I was to buy a set of arms again. It would be Roll again. Yes they are pricy, but well worth the money. And they are not for the average Joe.

In the years of riding and racing, I have tried just about everything and could not agree more than Roll is still the way to go. Herrmann Racing parts are very strong and very well made too.

Others? I am not too sure. I have broken a leagers swinger, Houser a-arms, LSR stem. None of these incidents have happened since I switched to Roll products.

The snap on that lower a-arms is something I've seen when you hit a rock. Maybe it was already stressed from a previous blow. Add the rust and you have disaster!!

08-09-2005, 10:37 AM
looks like mud more than rust to me.

08-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Those do look like new arms and i believe it is mud not rust. As far as Roll goes hands down one of the best products on the market. I have ran roll products all my life yes it is overpriced but one of the best. i have hit rocks in the desert doing 70+ and put dents in arms but never seen anything like that. i still believe in roll even after seeing that.

Tommy 17
08-09-2005, 11:17 AM
that is not rust... the a-arms were less then 2 hours old...

Jersey450R
08-09-2005, 11:53 AM
if they were less than 2 hours old, it definitly had a manufactures defect. Roll arms are great, but for 400 bucks less, you can get JRD arms which are roll design replicas. put them next to eachother and you can hardly tell a difference.

400exrider0004
08-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks guys

Allen
08-11-2005, 01:35 PM
that is not rust... the a-arms were less then 2 hours old...

Yeah....he said he just bought that rolls and ohlins package right before the race

PimpC
08-11-2005, 04:02 PM
roll design uses hiem joints on almost all of there arms.

I had a set of lonestar a-arms on my banshee and couldn't keep the boots together, they kept splitting from binding on my ball joints, no problems with that on a hiem.

rollie
08-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Roll is overpriced IMO.. id go with walsh:cool:

MXRACER86
08-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
Roll is overpriced IMO.. id go with walsh:cool:

Walsh is just as much:huh Do you own any walsh parts? becuase you can easily tell, that roll is much better.

rollie
08-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by MXRACER86
Walsh is just as much:huh Do you own any walsh parts? becuase you can easily tell, that roll is much better.

I dont own any walsh stuff,but i know people that do and love it, i think that walsh is better, if you think roll is better then buy roll, and ill buy walsh its JMO :rolleyes:

08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
roll is great stuff. Doug has been around for 15 plus years. I doubt that arm just failed, but i was not there. I bet he hit something pretty hard ?

Tommy 17
08-11-2005, 06:52 PM
the track was def rocky he was racing on when he broke it... there were sections that were rocks for 100ft and no dirt...

but the part i think he broke it in was noe of the more wide open sections of the track with no rocks... but it could been already cracked from a previous hit...

either way it still snapped

08-11-2005, 06:58 PM
i would bet my money on it. roll has too many baja wins to list. i have never seen something like that with out hitting something major.

Pappy
08-11-2005, 07:06 PM
id say that could be filed under the "chit happens" catagory.

roll is decent stuff, pricey but decent.

08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
that is right chit happens even to the best of them.....hope the owner was ok?

Ex_Rider43
08-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Ive rode a Roll YFZ... it was smooth but I was not so impressed but it was still very nice to ride.

400exrider0004
08-11-2005, 11:14 PM
do you guys know where I can find roll prices or am i just going to have to go to a dealer or call them?

Thanks

PimpC
08-12-2005, 03:08 PM
watch ebay for used pieces;)

rob-u/21
08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Best bet is to just buy direct from Roll. Also, you can get Roll products through Goldenwest Cycles, Duncan Racing, or IMS Products. But there is normally a pretty long wait time for roll components.

TBD
08-12-2005, 06:32 PM
This is a question for all the people that have posted that the a-arm design has something to do with how smooth the front end feels. I would like to know what design change could of been made to the arms that would change how the quad rides? I know that Doug has changed the pin hieghts at the spindle to help with tire scrub. But that change would be pretty much unnoticeable when riding. The gull wing bend has nothing to do with how it rides. Using a good pivot at the frame helps a little but still would be hard to notice when riding. Shock location has a little to do with it but many other arm builders have copied his mount location. Unless the arms are really crappy, the shock is the only thing that controls how the suspension feels. Roll makes a killer product but a little pricey. I'm not saying I have all the answers, I'm open for learning something new. I just do not agree with the arm design making a difference with the way the frontend feels other then bieng more stable and having a good shock location.

08-12-2005, 06:35 PM
of course you are right about the shock playing the biggest part, but most people wont believe it. I just dont think by looking at the picture of the smashed a-arm, it was a failure.....what do you think?

TBD
08-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by rawdeal
of course you are right about the shock playing the biggest part, but most people wont believe it. I just dont think by looking at the picture of the smashed a-arm, it was a failure.....what do you think?
I agree with most by saying chit happens and that every once in awhile you have a problem. If you look at where it broke it is right at the weld for the cross tube. It could possibly be a heat treating problem. I'm not sure if Roll still heat treats these arms. It could also be a welding problem. Because it broke right by where another tube intersected it could of possibly been undercut during welding and caused a stress facture. Again, Roll builds awesome product and every so often you might have a issue. It could happen to anyone.

PimpC
08-12-2005, 07:04 PM
your full of crap if you don't believe that all parts in the design of a suspension piece control how a part functions. A simple adjustment 1" in any direction will drastically effect every aspect of how the quad handles:rolleyes:

TBD
08-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by PimpC
your full of crap if you don't believe that all parts in the design of a suspension piece control how a part functions. A simple adjustment 1" in any direction will drastically effect every aspect of how the quad handles:rolleyes:
That's cool. If you would of read my post you would of seen that I did say that it would improve stability. You are right, I left out the fact that you can move them forward to help with the balance of the quad. The main thing I was refering to is the fact that people associate the suspension feeling smooth with the arms which isn't true. It is in the shocks. About bieng full of crap, I've only been building suspension components for over fifteen years and have probally put more testing hours on a quad then you have ridden in a lifetime( I obviouslly don't have any idea of how much you ride or how exprienced you might be but I'm trying to make a point that I'm not some blow hard trying to throw out some BS). Please read the post again and you will see that I was refering to the ride quality and not positioning of the arm.

Pappy
08-12-2005, 07:31 PM
wow, TBD offers technical information combined with years of expierence and he is called out by someone who cant intelligently debate what he posted.

TBD, i apologize for this sorry individual. He does this site and you an injustice by posting in the manner he did. I for one like reading your replies and try to learn something from what you post. Thank you for your time and knowledge you have been expending in your posts.

TBD
08-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
wow, TBD offers technical information combined with years of expierence and he is called out by someone who cant intelligently debate what he posted.

TBD, i apologize for this sorry individual. He does this site and you an injustice by posting in the manner he did. I for one like reading your replies and try to learn something from what you post. Thank you for your time and knowledge you have been expending in your posts.
I very much appreciate those words Pappy. There is no need for a apology, I understand that some of the younger people feel that they have the world by the balls already and have a full understanding of everything. People should remember to keep there mind open and absorb as much knowledge as possible. I do that myself everyday. Again, I apperciate the good words from you and also would like to say that I also enjoy reading your post.

Pappy
08-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by TBD
. Again, I apperciate the good words from you and also would like to say that I also enjoy reading your post.

haha, well there went your credibilty:blah:

PimpC
08-12-2005, 08:37 PM
pappy I meant no disrespect in my post but thanks anyways

" can't intelligently debate his post":grr:

I was simply stating that every little adjustment does infact have a big impact on the whole suspension cycle.

yes I agree that the shock is the smooth cushy effect of the suspension.

I was trying to get accross that other low dollar brands probably didn't spend anytime testing their set-up and just put out a arm that simply moves the wheel out an inch or forward. I believe that doug roll honestly spends the time to get it right, not just slap his name on the parts and say "it will sell because it says roll design" ;)

400exrider0004
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
i am talking to a guy at roll design and he said that they only make long travel a-arms....have you heard different??

TBD
08-13-2005, 09:15 AM
pappy I meant no disrespect in my post but thanks anyways

" can't intelligently debate his post":grr:

I was simply stating that every little adjustment does infact have a big impact on the whole suspension cycle.

yes I agree that the shock is the smooth cushy effect of the suspension.

I was trying to get accross that other low dollar brands probably didn't spend anytime testing their set-up and just put out a arm that simply moves the wheel out an inch or forward. I believe that doug roll honestly spends the time to get it right, not just slap his name on the parts and say "it will sell because it says roll design" ;)
I completelly agree. I can see know that you are a person with a understanding of how the suspension works. You're right about Roll also. I've known Doug since he worked for C&J ( Back in 87). As far as I know he was the first to build ATV suspension components. He does put a lot of time into his components.

TBD
08-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004
i am talking to a guy at roll design and he said that they only make long travel a-arms....have you heard different??
As far as I know he only offers "LT" arms. I had heard a rumor awhile back that he was going to put out some standard arms but that was awhile ago and I haven't heard anything since.

400exrider0004
08-13-2005, 11:26 AM
thanks TBD

QuadRacer041
08-13-2005, 01:24 PM

roll is SO much better then walsh that
gust
jones
spader
farr
byrd
creamer
hitt
goodman
havvisto
creech
lawson
and plante

all junked there walsh stuff in favor of roll.....:rolleyes:

i have nothing against roll, its great stuff.i dont care what the guy says he hit something REALLY hard to brake that thing.

but dont go saying walsh is not as good as roll, cause if thats what you believe you have ALOT to learn and when you grow up a little you will.

rollie
08-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
roll is SO much better then walsh that
gust
jones
spader
farr
byrd
creamer
hitt
goodman
havvisto
creech
lawson
and plante

all junked there walsh stuff in favor of roll.....:rolleyes:

Owned...haha:devil:

QuadRacer041
08-13-2005, 01:28 PM

i also see you run gibson parts.
here is a picture of a little experiance i had with gibson.
this is right out of the box

QuadRacer041
08-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by TBD
That's cool. If you would of read my post you would of seen that I did say that it would improve stability. You are right, I left out the fact that you can move them forward to help with the balance of the quad. The main thing I was refering to is the fact that people associate the suspension feeling smooth with the arms which isn't true. It is in the shocks. About bieng full of crap, I've only been building suspension components for over fifteen years and have probally put more testing hours on a quad then you have ridden in a lifetime( I obviouslly don't have any idea of how much you ride or how exprienced you might be but I'm trying to make a point that I'm not some blow hard trying to throw out some BS). Please read the post again and you will see that I was refering to the ride quality and not positioning of the arm.

for all those years of experiance, and testing, were's your great product???shurely all the testing over the years has been positive and your are producing suspention components?what brand are they again??????roll, walsh, laeger, gibson, jb?????please enlighten us all.....:rolleyes:

QuadRacer041
08-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004

i believe a few years ago when the 250r was very popular roll made standard travel +2 a arms for them but they are few and far between

400exrider0004
08-13-2005, 03:24 PM
If you go back to the a-arm picture and look closely to the left of the snap there is a huge indentation or bend. Also if you look at the top of the snapped bar if is level then there is like a curve where the bend is!!!
But I do agree Roll is a good product that is backed up by all those who use it.

Pappy
08-13-2005, 03:26 PM
lol...hey lou, you buying a new gibson frame anytime soon:devil:

QuadRacer041
08-13-2005, 03:41 PM
lol...hey lou, you buying a new gibson frame anytime soon:devil:

not likely, although i must say there a arms are pretty nice i would consider them on my xc

MXRACER86
08-13-2005, 03:47 PM
It really boils down to, Is that not everything "great" or "perfect", I have heard great thing and bad things with every company, I hear that walsh is the "best" and all the pro's use it, but I also personally know someone that broke a walsh frame is lots of spots,, NOTHING IS PERFECT!

Pappy
08-13-2005, 03:58 PM
not likely, although i must say there a arms are pretty nice i would consider them on my xc

lets just hope they improved the frames..lol

does anyone remeber the thread from a few years back where someone posted a roll frame i believe that had a broken frame, where in the frame tore away at the footpeg? kinda of the same deal as this except a bit more costly.

anything can and will break!

SixthFloorFreak
08-13-2005, 04:38 PM
i believe a few years ago when the 250r was very popular roll made standard travel +2 a arms for them but they are few and far between

had a set of those on an R i used to own...very nice IMO, but i've never seen another set of them ever

QuadRacer041
08-13-2005, 05:46 PM
lets just hope they improved the frames..lol

does anyone remeber the thread from a few years back where someone posted a roll frame i believe that had a broken frame, where in the frame tore away at the footpeg? kinda of the same deal as this except a bit more costly.

anything can and will break!

pappy that was my freind kenny's roll i think you met him at rausch a few years ago

PimpC
08-13-2005, 07:20 PM
I was also going gibson "looked" to be quality stuff but I guess their jigs aren't exactly perfect.:eek2:

MXRACER86
08-13-2005, 07:38 PM
I was also going gibson "looked" to be quality stuff but I guess their jigs aren't exactly perfect.:eek2:

Well I have gibson, I think they are top notch stuff!

benbuilt4u
08-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by TBD
As far as I know he only offers "LT" arms. I had heard a rumor awhile back that he was going to put out some standard arms but that was awhile ago and I haven't heard anything since.

i just bought a quad that has standard Roll arms that are plus one.

so they make them.

PimpC
08-14-2005, 06:56 PM
if they are plus ine then they aren'y standard they are plus 1"

benbuilt4u
08-14-2005, 06:58 PM
if they are plus ine then they aren'y standard they are plus 1"

they are standard shock length NOT long travel like the other person was asking.

PimpC
08-14-2005, 07:04 PM
true! sorry you are right, I fogot that they could be plus 1 and still be standard travel

Ex_Rider43
08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
for all those years of experiance, and testing, were's your great product???shurely all the testing over the years has been positive and your are producing suspention components?what brand are they again??????roll, walsh, laeger, gibson, jb?????please enlighten us all.....:rolleyes:

I beleive that TBD is designing parts for companies

TBD
08-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Ex_Rider43
I beleive that TBD is designing parts for companies
You are right. I do design for two different companies. I had my own line for about eight years. I would rather not mention the companies for the fact that I would like to keep the discussions as unbiased as possible. I hope that makes sense.

Quad18star
08-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by TBD
You are right. I do design for two different companies. I had my own line for about eight years. I would rather not mention the companies for the fact that I would like to keep the discussions as unbiased as possible. I hope that makes sense.

Didn't you mention somewhere before that you designed for Rated -X motorsports or something ?? I could be wrong and it might have even been in this thread ( I'm too lazy to look through all the pages) .

You said you designed for 8 years right?? By any chance, are you from Michigan or were based out of Michigan??

TBD
08-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Didn't you mention somewhere before that you designed for Rated -X motorsports or something ?? I could be wrong and it might have even been in this thread ( I'm too lazy to look through all the pages) .

You said you designed for 8 years right?? By any chance, are you from Michigan or were based out of Michigan??
You're right. I guess it would be stupid to make this a guessing game. The other company is Ishock. I'm from San Diego, Ca. Lived here all my life.

Quad18star
08-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by TBD
You're right. I guess it would be stupid to make this a guessing game. The other company is Ishock. I'm from San Diego, Ca. Lived here all my life.

AH ya ... that's the other one . I couldn't remember what it was , but I know I read it somewhere else .

ANyone know if John Arens still builds stuff ?? I haven't heard about him in a LONG time !!!

Yamahauler_04
08-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Roll used to make standard travel for a few quads. 250R and Banshee off the top of my head.

He stopped a few years ago because he was too busy doing Lobo kits. He wanted to concentrate on the higher end stuff.