PDA

View Full Version : First Things To do to a 400

Master400ex
06-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Currently my 2002 400ex is stock But I want to start adding modifications that wont lower the value or reliabilitiy of the quad.
I was thinking about a 14 tooth sprocket for more low end power. And also an exhaust that will give me low to midrange power any suggestions??

own2424
06-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Maybe a K&N filter or Uni Filter...adn jets to go along with the exhaust. Good Luck

own2424
06-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Did you buy the 400ex at East Hanover Honda?

Tlongs400
06-04-2002, 08:22 PM
CHANGE THE UGLY FRONT BUMPER:cool:

FlyinRed
06-04-2002, 08:46 PM
get suspention.
you wont use all tha power it has all the time till you change the suspension.

I'd also think a lot about what you wanna do with the bike, like race it. If your gunna race it a lot of pipes wont work well for highly modded engines. the sprokets a good idea along with the filter. I'd hang onto the stock exhaust till you decide what your gunna do with the bike.

you wanna buy a big gun full exhaust to try it out and see? its a great pipe for stock to mildly moded bikes.

good luck man.

2qk4u
06-04-2002, 09:06 PM
heres what i would do if i were you

WB full system
14 tooth sprocket
K&N Air Filter
AC Racing front bumper
Renthal Bars

thats a good starter.

Mailman77327
06-04-2002, 09:29 PM
The first thing I got for my 400ex was a set of DG Nerfs.
Nothing feels better than running over yourself with a 400lb quad because your foot slipped!!!:rolleyes:

yellowrider
06-04-2002, 10:49 PM
shocks
shocks
and once you got that paid for then skid plates
tehn bumpers
then a grahic kit then
headlight covers
then
nos!!

Master400ex
06-05-2002, 06:24 AM
No, I actually bought my bike at a Whole sale dealer in upstate New York for $5000 straight out the door. Thanks guys for the feedback I think Im going to start with just a K and N Filter and a Sidewinder 14 tooth sprocket.

Maryland 400EX
06-05-2002, 07:08 AM
FlyinRed, how much for the Big Gun?

Texan32
06-05-2002, 08:18 AM
Listen to FlyinRed and Yellowrider...

the motor can wait. Like they said, you will not be able to fully extract the power of the 400 unless you can control it better.

First thing i would do is protect it and yourself. By that i mean nerfs and skids. The nerfs are a necessity! I cant count the # of times i have come off a jump a little sideways and missd my pegs. Luckily i had my nerfs to catch my feet. The also help in racing...keeps the other guy from running into your legs. Next, protect the quad. I would HIGHLY suggest getting a chassis skidplate! Unless you plan on doing 2 things...full MX racing and/or dune riding ONLY! If you plan on doing anything besides those two, its well worth a 100 bucks as opposed to a couple grand for a new motor when a big ruck splits you cases and you seize it up before you realize there is even a problem!

After that, i would concentrate on the suspension. There is all kinds of talk about what shopcks to get. YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT! Don't let any knucklehead in hear tell you that this or that SUCKS because "he saw some guy.." or "he heard..." That seems to happen alot here. Its all about how serious you plan on getting. If your a weekend warrior get some works. If ytou plan on getting into racing, go Elka's (I LOVE MINE!!!) If you want to go full race, get another loan and order some custom Axis:eek: There is no need to buy a new rear shock. I would advise you take you factory one, send it to Marty at the quad shop and fo 150ish he will rebuild it to your specs (weight/riding style). After the shocks, you might want to get some longer a arms, but thats kinda up to you. I haven't riden a 400 with longer a arms so i don't know how to compare them. Alot of guy say they handle alot better.

Once you get you suspension set up, THEN start on the motor. Now that i have gotten mt Elka's i am kicking myself in the ***** for not listening to the advice of people here that told me EXACTLY what i am telling you! Trust me. On a MX or XC track (or just play woods riding) you can do much better than those with factory suspension!

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to give you my opinion...

DEAL
06-05-2002, 08:18 AM
First thing i did was got rid of those cheap stock bars, and replaced them with an alunimum set. Then i got something to protect those expesive headlights (nacs headlight covers) and finally i got something to make my bike look a little better (Ac bumper)

JabberJaw
06-05-2002, 08:52 AM
If you put a "ExRiders" sticker on your bike, the value increases to double!

Teufel
06-05-2002, 03:18 PM
shocks, str damper, handle bars, bumper, skids.

Blake24
06-05-2002, 07:54 PM
mailman i hear you on that one.........i was trail riding and riding a wheelie over a little woop section........came down and foot slipped off causing my foot to twist wicked under the rear tire OUCH!!! i didn't fall of the bike but man it hurt like a sumina.......

forum
06-05-2002, 08:43 PM
I see people all the time doing up there motor's right to the tits. And having a stock chassis. There's no point having a fast engine if your bike can't take the speed. If your bike is stock. This is what i recomend.

either take the end cap off the silncer or buy a slipon, Get a K&N filter with outer wear, Mod the airbox, THen suspension and wider(axle ,a arms) But if you plan on racing Mx the first thing should be Nerf bars. To prtect your feet

06-05-2002, 09:13 PM
man, i dont think you need a 14 tooth sprocket. why do u need more low end. youll already smoke any 4-wheeler ont he market with the stock sprockets on low end. i went to a 16 tooth for top end and still bet them on take off. the stock suspension is fine. put a full pipe, stage 2 jets, k&n filter, and drill holes in the airbox lid. that makes it have plenty of power. i have never slipped off my stock footpegs, and i been ridin my 400ex for 2 years now. just gotta know what you are dewing. the suspension and chassis will take the power of the 400ex after you mod it. i have a 420ex and it handles the power perfect. i work at a racing shop down here and i know by experience do motor work first.

MX MadMann
06-05-2002, 10:24 PM
motor work first 'eh?? take a stock suspended 400ex w/ motor work against mine on a mx track and i will KILL it , and my motor is stock . the only time i would want motor work first is if i did trail riding.

06-05-2002, 10:27 PM
well i race in trails lol. its ok on the track and yea i would do work if i raced mx

-=Skot=-
06-05-2002, 10:55 PM
do what ever you want to do, it's your quad and your the one riding it, everyone has thier opinion but it boils down to what you want

2qk4u
06-06-2002, 05:13 AM
right on exfusion

250exen
06-06-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
If you put a "ExRiders" sticker on your bike, the value increases to double!

and u GAIN a full 10 ponys!!!