PDA

View Full Version : Valve Adjustment??

250EXChik29
06-04-2002, 05:14 PM
I know on the 400EX you have to adjust the valves.. do you have to do it on the 250EX also? If so, can anyone email me or tell me exactly how it is done? I dont want to fork over the hefty amount of money it would cost the dealer to do it. I'm not that mechanically inclined but I do know people who are. Also, when should the first one be done? I have had my quad since the beginning of March and put about 5 full tanks of gas through it.

06-05-2002, 07:27 AM
Well your just about do for the first service,,,oil, oil filter and valve adjustment,,I can't tell you what any of the specs are for clearance or anything like that,,but see about ordering a service manual for it,,there worth a $1000 if you can do your own work.

250EXChik29
06-05-2002, 07:52 AM
Whats great about the 250 is that there is no oil filter to change.. just empty and refill.. basically.. that is what the owners manual says. Checked the air filter last night and I think its pretty dirty so I think I am going to get an aftermarket.. maybe K & N or Twin Air. Not sure yet. But I will look into a service manual. I can figure things out usually.. as long as I have something to go by.

02REDEXRIDER
06-05-2002, 03:44 PM
you can clean your stock air filter, but a K&N will give you more power

upstate rider
06-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Rico's , right the service manual is only about 35 dollars and it has everything you need to know including valve adjustments ,you really need the book it has pictures that are a great help also.

yamaha1470
06-07-2002, 04:13 PM
how come u dont need to change a filter in the 250ex?

06-07-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by yamaha1470
how come u dont need to change a filter in the 250ex?

It doesn't have one. :eek: I can't believe that a modern engine would be built without an oil filter.

I'm thinking about adding one in the cooler line - just using a remote oil filter kit. That should also add to the capacity which is always a good thing.

Anybody got any good reasons why I shouldn't do this? Am I missing something?

True rider
06-07-2002, 08:58 PM
250ex's do have oil filters. There inside the engine but its more of a screen than a than a screw in oil filter.

06-10-2002, 08:18 AM
WELL NOT REALLY CHANGE IT, BUT CLEAN IT. YOU MUST REMOVE THE FRONT CRANKCASE COVER. ITS A PRETTY SIMPLE OPERATION, BUT TIME CONSUMING. VALVE ADJUSTMENTS ARE A SNAP ON THESE LITTLE MACHINES. THE CORRECT CLEARENCE IS LISTED IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL. IT ONLY TAKES 25MIN. TO COMPLETE THE VALVE ADJUSTMENTS

250EXChik29
06-10-2002, 12:07 PM
When I went to the dealer last Wednesday, the guy was telling me about that screen. Cause I was like "well if it doesnt have an oil filter, how is it "filtered"? So he pulled up the diagram and showed that there is that little screen. But he said you dont have to clean it that often maybe every other oil change or so.

And thanks for all the info.

True rider
06-10-2002, 04:52 PM
hey brokeitin2 how did you adjust your valves is it like a 400 and what are the tools needed. Do you have a service manual you used.

06-11-2002, 05:51 AM
THE 250EX ONLY HAS 2 VALVES. THE BIG DIFFERENCE IS AFTER YOU GET THE GAS TANK OFF, THE TOP HEAD COVER COMES COMPLETELY OFF. YOU JUST HAVE A LOT MORE ROOM TO WORK, UNLIKE THE HOLE CAPS ON THE 400EX. STANDARD TOOLBOX TOOLS ARE ALL THAT IS NEEDED, AND I DO HAVE A SERVICE MANUAL FOR A RECON, IN WHICH THE ENGINE BREAKDOWN IS THE SAME FOR BOTH MACHINES.