PDA

View Full Version : Stator

Chino886
08-08-2005, 07:10 AM
How can you tell if you have a bad stator?

wilkin250r
08-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Stators are very simple objects. It consists of several coils of wire, some sort of metal core, and magnets that revolve around it. The magnets are in the flywheel.

So what could possibly go bad? The metal core can't go bad, it's just metal. The magnets in the flywheel could go bad if they get broken, but that's very unlikely. So that leaves just the coils of wire, if they get broken, or the insulation melts and they short together.

A simple resistance test can easily tell you if your wires have broken or shorted. Generally, if the resistance is good, it's a pretty sure bet your stator is good. A repair manual will give you the specs and procedure for testing the resistance of the various coils on your stator.

Chino886
08-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Hey Wilkin,

Thanks for the fast response, I have another question. I have some wiring issues on my 400EX, I was riding last night and I shut it off, when I went to go start it again, it would not even turn over. Do you think that it is just the battery?

Thanks again!

TC426EX
08-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I just got done taking my entire electrical system apart about an hour ago. Tested every wire, solenoid, start button, etc. I thought I had an open somewhere in the circuit because my starter wouldnt start but I could bypass it with jumper cables straight to the starter terminal. So I isolated the problem as the starter. After removing and disassembling the starter, I found that one of the brushes inside was frozen and not making contact with the commutator in the end. So a quick tap on it with a piece of brass (so not to break the carbon brush) and once it was free I was back in business. Put it all together and it fired right up.

Thats just my experience today, doesnt mean itll be the same for you. Electric can be complicated if you dont have an idea what youre doing. Test the battery first, then see if you can jump it by bypassing the solenoid. That will help isolate what your problem is and you can take it from there. If the starter seems to be the problem, just take it apart, its not that hard. Most people dont bother and just buy another starter but in reality they are easy to rebuild

Chino886
08-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Hey TC426EX,

can you tell me how you hooked up your kill switch, mine is shocking the hell out of me, it is a pro design.

Do you still have your headlights, if so, how did you do that? I took my stock light switch off, so I had to do some rewiring and I think that might of screwed things up.

PismoLocal
08-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I JUST PUT MAIER RACING PLASTICS ON MY 400 AND I TOOK OFF THE WHOLE LIGHT CONTROL DEAL OFF MY HANDLEBARS. I ALSO PUT ON A PRO DESIGN KILL SWITCH ON I USED THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE FAQ FORUM, THEY WERE WAY EASIER TO UNDERSTAND THEN THE ONES THAT CAME WITH THE SWITCH.

wilkin250r
08-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Hey Wilkin,

Thanks for the fast response, I have another question. I have some wiring issues on my 400EX, I was riding last night and I shut it off, when I went to go start it again, it would not even turn over. Do you think that it is just the battery?

Thanks again!

One very easy way to check is to clean the contacts on the battery, and then hook up a set of jumper cables to a car battery. (you clean the connections to make sure they are not the problem).

If it starts good, then your battery is likely your problem. If it still doesn't start with the car battery hooked up, then your problem is not your battery.

Both batteries are 12V, don't worry, the car battery will not fry your electronics.

Chino886
08-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
One very easy way to check is to clean the contacts on the battery, and then hook up a set of jumper cables to a car battery. (you clean the connections to make sure they are not the problem).

If it starts good, then your battery is likely your problem. If it still doesn't start with the car battery hooked up, then your problem is not your battery.

Both batteries are 12V, don't worry, the car battery will not fry your electronics.

Well, I have not checked it since I rode the other night, but I forgot to mention that I was at the track when this happened, I pushed it and it bump started on the first try, does this make a difference. The neutral light was very dim though when I did this.

Chino886
08-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
I JUST PUT MAIER RACING PLASTICS ON MY 400 AND I TOOK OFF THE WHOLE LIGHT CONTROL DEAL OFF MY HANDLEBARS. I ALSO PUT ON A PRO DESIGN KILL SWITCH ON I USED THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE FAQ FORUM, THEY WERE WAY EASIER TO UNDERSTAND THEN THE ONES THAT CAME WITH THE SWITCH.

does your pro design shock you? the metal end seems to shock me, i think I don't have it grounded correctly. Help please, it is a shocking experience!

wilkin250r
08-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Well, I have not checked it since I rode the other night, but I forgot to mention that I was at the track when this happened, I pushed it and it bump started on the first try, does this make a difference. The neutral light was very dim though when I did this.

If the neutral light is dim and it won't start, it means you're not getting enough electricity. Either the battery is low, or bad connections that don't give a good electrical path.

Then, of course, you need to look at WHY you're having problems. If the battery is low, it could either mean the battery is bad and won't hold a charge, or it's not getting the proper charge in the first place due to bad connections.

Do you notice a recurring theme of bad connections?

That should be your first step, clean all connections and make sure they good, I prefer a wire brush. After your connections are clean, charge your battery (either running your quad or a battery charger). If you still have a problem with the battery going dead over a few days, and you are SURE your connections are clean and good, then replace the battery. I suggest going through Pappy, he hooked me up with a great deal on a battery and charger, and it works like a charm.

Chino886
08-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
If the neutral light is dim and it won't start, it means you're not getting enough electricity. Either the battery is low, or bad connections that don't give a good electrical path.

Then, of course, you need to look at WHY you're having problems. If the battery is low, it could either mean the battery is bad and won't hold a charge, or it's not getting the proper charge in the first place due to bad connections.

Do you notice a recurring theme of bad connections?

That should be your first step, clean all connections and make sure they good, I prefer a wire brush. After your connections are clean, charge your battery (either running your quad or a battery charger). If you still have a problem with the battery going dead over a few days, and you are SURE your connections are clean and good, then replace the battery. I suggest going through Pappy, he hooked me up with a great deal on a battery and charger, and it works like a charm.

well it looks like I have a heck of a lot of work to do, I am going to try to rewire everything this weekend after a trip to Radio Shack for some parts. What fun! Thanks for all of your help! You sure do reply fast.