PDA

View Full Version : stolen quad

EPDP99
08-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Well, about three weeks ago I was on a wildland fire about 75 miles from here in a small town. Alot of the fire crews use quads to transport coolers for drinking water and such. Well we were using ours on this fire and parked it by a wash. Mind you this was in a small town we were trying to protect. Well we told some cops that were doing road blocks to watch it and they told us to bring it closer. So I bring the quad and park it right next to the pavement in the dirt. There were 3 cop cars and four officers there "watching" it. So now the quad is like 25 feet away from them. We told them the key and helmet were in it to make sure they watched it. We left the keys in it because we didnt know who would hike back to get it and being in different areas of the fire that was easier and there were cops watching it, we figured it would be safe.....apperantly not. 2 kids came right up to it put the helmet on and rode off on it. Right next to the cops. So my bass hikes back to get it and it isnt there, so he calls me on the radio asking where I parked it. I told him and he replied that it wasnt there. So I hike back and sure enough it was missing. We ask the cops where it was and they said some kid came and got it and they thought it was one of our guys. We are wearing bright yellow nomex shirts, browm nomex pants and blue helmets. We asked if they were in uniform and they said no. We were dumbfounded that the cops watched our quad get stolen. then they send one officer out looking when there was about 10-13 in the area. This is form the freaking fire department and they wont send anymore officers to find it. We were gone from it for maybe an hour and they couldnt even do their job for that long. however the cop did find it. It was at a well know theifts house in an abanded chiken coop with plywood around it. So we got it back, luckily, 3 hours later but with no key or helmet. Those ended up showing up a couple days later. The kids just turned 18 and have a huge record.....Well court date comes and they get let off with 100 hours of community service and will be watched. Im amazed at our judicial system. The kid get a slap on the hand even with a huge record and mutiple felony charges against him.

Just thought I'd share the eventful experience. But rather upset with the officers and court system!

SGA
08-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Im glad you got it back! Lots are not so lucky.
No comment on the cops and court system.

Texastacoma
08-08-2005, 02:13 AM
Glad to hear everything turned out okay. You cant blame the police for what happened though. Hopefully it wont happen again.

JTRtrx250r
08-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Im glad you got it back! Lots are not so lucky.
No comment on the cops and court system.

tater_kamik
08-08-2005, 07:09 AM
yet another story of what seems to be an lot of incompetence and leniancy in the judicial system:mad:

EPDP99
08-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Texastacoma
Glad to hear everything turned out okay. You cant blame the police for what happened though. Hopefully it wont happen again.

You mean that 4 officer who were sitting there bsing could not stop a kid who is a known theif take off on a fire deparments quad?? we told them they would be wearing the same uniform if anyone came to get it. They WATCHED it get stolen and practically did nothing. I was amazed!! Thankfully we got it back... does it sound even worse they went right to his house first and hmmmmm......there it was? and yet they still let him ride off??

Texastacoma
08-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Your making it sound like the officers deliberatly allowed your property to be taken. I agree they maybe could have done more to get it back, but when you told them it was unknown who would come get it, I"m sure they assumed they were allowing a authorized person to get it for you. For all they knew you could have asked that kid to go get it for you. From what I understand from your post, they told you who took it, hence they knew who it was. That would be why they knew where to go and get it back from. You say they were sitting there BSing, I'm sure they were there for a purpose, and had other responsibilities besides babysitting your property. I"m just glad you got your quad back, most people dont, or when they do it's in pieces.

08-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Your making it sound like the officers deliberatly allowed your property to be taken. I agree they maybe could have done more to get it back, but when you told them it was unknown who would come get it, I"m sure they assumed they were allowing a authorized person to get it for you. For all they knew you could have asked that kid to go get it for you. From what I understand from your post, they told you who took it, hence they knew who it was. That would be why they knew where to go and get it back from. You say they were sitting there BSing, I'm sure they were there for a purpose, and had other responsibilities besides babysitting your property. I"m just glad you got your quad back, most people dont, or when they do it's in pieces.

"Babysitting" :rolleyes: No, I would call it being responsible for someones property that is assisting with an emergency, that is what they get paid for. To help and assist in a emergency situation. It's pathetic how incompetent SOME of the officers are now a days. In my area when something gets stolen we call the police to file a report for the insurance company, forget about ever seeing your property again. You are lucky you were in a small town if not you would have been SOL. Around here all they do is patrol around the mayors block and other political figures home, hey atleast I live close to the mayor! I get pulled over about twice a month, last citation I recieved was for being on a cell phone!:mad:

dpizz450
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM

EPDP99
08-09-2005, 12:10 PM

These officers were bsing, when we walked up and they were there when we left, it takes 1 officer to block a residential street. If you were an officer and a KNOWN theft(all kinds, vehicles, quads, personal good, house items...all per the officers there) and ride off with out even questioning. Im not bashing officers because being a firefighter we respect them greatly. I am just amazed they did not question it. Even when we said our personell would be in uniform because we have strict guidliness for qualified personell. Yes it sounds stupid but you have to take a class and be certified to use and atv on a fire. Here atleast. I just thought I would share my story because i was so amazed.

Texastacoma
08-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I understand that completly. I'm not looking to start a pissing contest by any means, and none of us can speak for what the officers were doing because we are all assuming, I'm just saying, they have other things they are responsible for doing and I highly doubt they intentionally allowed your quad to get taken.